Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STORM Racing Drone (RTF / Type-A)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 02:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default STORM Racing Drone (RTF / Type-A)

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these Quad's? The idea of flying and racing by the use of the camera has quite a few of us here in Dallas interested in them. Below is want they say about it and of course on the website the videos look great but with any product you seem to only see the good side. Was wanting some real input before we all go out and buy one.

"Storm and Helipal proudly present Storm Racing Drone Type-A Ready to Fly Edition
For a long time we wish to fly a drone with a video system, just like flying it in the cockpit as First Person View experience. Now Storm has made something specially for this purpose called the Storm Racing Drone, actually it's a very small drone (250 class) with a smooth FPV system onboard, and tuned to have faster respond than other aerial filming drones, we flew the drone and we totally addicted to it! The idea worked so well, by looking at the monitor we guide the drone thru a forest without crashing, then we flew faster and faster, it's not like playing video games, it requires skills and needless to say, it's lot more exciting, put more of these in the field and you and your friends is like doing Podracing, just like the Sci-Fi movie."
Old 01-08-2015, 11:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I'm with you on this one man! I can see 'Drone Racing' really taking off in the near future. The first reputable company to come out with an RTR version that looks like a Star Wars Pod Racer will stand to make lots of $$. I did find a RTF version in the link below that goes for $379.00 minus the FPV setup. To make it full FPV you would need to invest $300-$400 more looking at options on their site. This is a very informative site though:

http://www.helipal.com/storm-racing-...tf-type-a.html
Old 01-21-2015, 04:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would like to know more about these too they look awesome if any one has any info plz post it I want to get into quad copter racing it looks awesome
Old 01-21-2015, 08:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just received mine it's very nice! There is a whole thread on another board about it. Don't know if I can post the board on here but if you google "storm racing drone review" you will find it.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I just built one of these. Got about 2 months on it. Tough as nails. I’m struggling to fly FPV after about 6 flights.

A lot of good info here.
The Storm is just a Emax 250 frame
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2279376

All about mini drones
http://www.rcgroups.com/mini-multirotors-800/
Old 01-27-2015, 12:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

any pics or youtube video we can watch?
Old 02-01-2015, 07:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

I just placed an order yesterday to get set up with the the 250 Nighthawk...which essentially is the Emax 250. It's not RTF, but the build doesn't look complicated, and there is an abundance of information online about setting up the flight control board.

I originally saw the Storm drone which inspired me to to try this out. I didn't buy any of the FPV equipment yet.

-Greg
Austin TX
Old 02-05-2015, 06:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by GAPaman
I just placed an order yesterday to get set up with the the 250 Nighthawk...which essentially is the Emax 250. It's not RTF, but the build doesn't look complicated, and there is an abundance of information online about setting up the flight control board.

I originally saw the Storm drone which inspired me to to try this out. I didn't buy any of the FPV equipment yet.

-Greg
Austin TX
I'm out of Dallas and there are about three of us looking at the storm or another Quad like that to start flying. We want to start a group that can race together. I would love to know how your build goes and what you think about it.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:42 PM
Tech Initiate

I plan to check that forum out. Thanks, Didn't know there were different ones out there.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (98%+)

We have a few people who have the 250 racing drones and will be racing it soon down south TX
lots of software updates and upgrades for my storm to be stable but it is getting there
fast little bugs
Old 02-08-2015, 07:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZombieD
I'm out of Dallas and there are about three of us looking at the storm or another Quad like that to start flying. We want to start a group that can race together. I would love to know how your build goes and what you think about it.
I'll keep you posted. I've received everything but the actual quad, motors, esc's, flight controller (CC3D). I ordered LED lights and a battery from Hobbyking, and ordered stand-off posts, and PDB from Massive RC.

I stopped into the LHS (Hobby Town) and I was pleasantly surprised on the support equipment they have. One of the employee's is big into flying quads, and appears to have been helping stock a bunch of things for 250 quad's.

-Greg
Old 02-08-2015, 01:02 PM
Tech Rookie

how long the charge?
Old 02-13-2015, 08:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Just got all my stuff ordered. I'm excited to dive into this new "style" of racing.

These are what got me excited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQuEgVNAQhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsxyV-kgfio

little more detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H19z1X3V4UQ
Old 06-17-2017, 10:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Default problems with my SRD 280

hi guys i was just wondering if anybody has ever soldered on 2 brand new ESC's on there storm SRD 280 military edition's like i have ...1 on the front left arm and 1 on the right arm all wire's + and - including the center wire done right but now when i go to slip the lipo in it gives me the start up tune but not the whole tune itself and the rotor's don't spin it's like it hasn't armed it's self to my AT9 controller...