Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blade Scout CX Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Questions?? Blade Scout CX Problems

I went to fly my Scout CX today and found a major lack of power. The battery was fully charged (actually both of the ones I tried were), there was a really beat up canopy on it, and the motors were over heating very quickly. I was on the throttle like I usually would and it wasn't lifting off, so I gave it full throttle, it lifted off about 3 inches and then slowed down and landed again, all with the throttle all the way up. I held it in the air and gave it full throttle, and it went at about the speed it would be going if you were hovering normally and then after about a second died down and then just varied slowly from there. The top rotor is a little beat up to the point that it is "very finely serraded" but I don't think that's the problem. I changed the canopy to a new one, and charged my batteries on my charger, and then plugged one of them in, no luck.

If you think you know what's wrong please say so, because I am completely puzzled.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Are you using the remote to charge the batteries or something else?..the helicopter will flash the red light letting you know the battery is low during flight and at that time will slow down power and land..turn the blades and see if the motors turn freely...i put a tiny drop of oil on the swash plate, the inner shaft and on the motor bushings/gears. It should turn fairly easy by hand..if it doesnt something is worn causing you alot of drag...Hard to fix over the internet but best i can come up with for you.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 6sharky9
Are you using the remote to charge the batteries or something else?..the helicopter will flash the red light letting you know the battery is low during flight and at that time will slow down power and land..turn the blades and see if the motors turn freely...i put a tiny drop of oil on the swash plate, the inner shaft and on the motor bushings/gears. It should turn fairly easy by hand..if it doesnt something is worn causing you alot of drag...Hard to fix over the internet but best i can come up with for you.
The rotors turn fairly easily and I use my charger with a parallel banana attachment that can hold six of the batteries and then finish them up on the remote because my charger can only charge by 50 mAh

P.S.-The light doesn't blink on the heli
Old 06-14-2012, 08:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Sounds like the batteries are bad or not being fully charged..A new E-Flight battery is $5.00 so its not that much to try...i use my controller to charge mine fully and ive gotten more than 30 charges s far from it without any problems...I would try a new battery and fully charge it before use...The red light i was mentioning should come on when you plug in the battery and it binds to the radio telling you its ready to fly..When the battery reaches a determined voltage the light should blink on and off right before you lose power and the helicopter lands itself slowly in which case you stop and recharge the battery again...you should get around 5 minutes from a complete charge on a good battery..Im sure over time that will drop as the battery goes through enough cycles and starts to weaken in time in general. If a good battery doesnt give you the power it need to fly right then you have something going on with the motors ir maybe some hair wrapped around something you dont see causing you drag..Hard to look at it over the internet..maybe the swash plate is worn causing drag..im not really sure but i would try a new battery and take it from that point. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 06-14-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Angry Blade Scout CX bad flight motor

I have been flying a Scout CX for about 6 months. I have crashed it a lot, broke two sets of upper blades and the current set is serrated pretty good. Recently I had the same problem, about one minute into a flight I would have to increase power to full and it would gradually slow down by itself and land. I also noticed that the red light was not blinking and the motor for the upper rotor was VERY HOT. The lower rotor motor would just be warm. The other symptom I had is after installing the flight battery, the rotors would not start turning when the throttle was advanced. I could turn the top rotor just a little by hand, and it would start up right away.
All my experience with brushed motors is is if they do not start by themselves unless rotated first, indicates the brushes are shot. I also think the windings are partially shorted causing the overheating. When the motor gets really hot, it draws too much current and the controller starts slowing it down.
I have searched the internet and could not find motors separate for this model Heli. Does anyone know where you can get motors?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for the good read... I will not be buying this Blade model now!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile Switched to MCX

I received the Blade CX as a gift. I now have a Blade MCX and LOVE it. It took a little while to switch to left hand "tail rotor" so-to-speak control. The left right cyclic is fantastic and you get about twice the run time on the 180mA batteries vs. the 70mA in the CX. The MCX has connectors on the motor leads so they can be changed although the are still mounted with glue.

What does the red indicator on the bottom left of the post indicate?

Last edited by Gerry2k; 03-29-2013 at 01:46 PM.