Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions about starting RC Air/Heli hobby

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Questions about starting RC Air/Heli hobby

Do you need to be really good with aeronautics to build your own RC Heli or RC Plane kit? Cause i don't really know much about actual aeronautics or balancing or anything like that. I'm not a pilot either, although i wish i was a real pilot as that might give me some more insight.

Before i get serious about this hobby i was just wondering if someone whos never ever built a plane or heli would have much trouble starting this hobby.. im not that great with my hands.. and i dont have really many power tools. I also dont know how to paint either.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:58 AM

Do you want to build a model plane?
Are you able to learn?
If you want something you have to go for it.
You have to start somewhere, There are many resources available all over, local & internet, to help you along the way.
Now get busy.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Tech Initiate

haha, i like your enthusiasm! Yeah I would like to try building one though but was curious how difficult it is or how many man hours it takes to build one. My father used to build them In the 70s and 80s and i was always facinated by them but was too young to understand or pose questions about them.

I only remember seeing them sitting around the house or up on the walls or hanging from the ceiling when i was a child. My fathers no longer alive so I can't ask em.

I dont know what he used to build exactly or know any details about what he used to use for engines even. My mother has no knowledge of it either as it was kind of his thing to build them from wood and what not.

Last edited by akirahz; 06-10-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:37 PM

Check with your local Hobby shop to steer you towards a first builder type plane to build, you'll probably want to go electric, they are easyer and cleaner.
Also Join the AMA . you'll need an AMA card to fly at club fields, and you recieve a monthly magazine full of info.
Check for a local club in your area, many of the members there will be happy to help you out and get you started.