Community
Wiki Posts
Search

t-rex450 vs HK450

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Those front servos should be mounted from the inside of the frame. The mounting tabs should be on the inside, not the outside of the frame. That is why they are sticking out so far.

Just because servos are digital and metal gear does not always mean they are good servos. I have seen plenty of junk digital/mg servos out there. I am not saying yours are bad, and if they are working good then you should stick with them. I am just saying that digital and MG doesn't always make it a good servo. Many of the cheaper servos don't center the same, have different torque/speed, etc. I learned a long time ago that skimping on electronics in a heli will come back to bite you almost every time. CCPM helis are very critical about servos since all 3 have to sync up perfectly to work properly. Use the method I described earlier to test them and if they work fine for that test, I wouldn't worry about it.... although check them periodically since some are known to wear out quicker than others. I only reccomended the HS65s because they are used by a TON of 450 pilots and have been proven to be good/reliable servos for many, many users. The complaints are very few considering how many people run the 65MGs. They are not digital but they still work much better than a lot of the cheap/junk digital servos I have come across (including the Align digital MG servos that come with the Pro). They also sell a digital version (5065) which are supposed to work even better although the standard 65MGs work good enough IMO.

Last edited by Funky; 11-17-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ohh ok, so all this time I had these servos sticking out..
I will change those out right away..

Yeah I would really would like to get the align servos, but would have to wait on those, since my cash flow is low right now..

I will also be checking these out every other flight to make sure there all properly working well..
I just check them yesterday, so there fine for now..

Great.. Thanks for all your help.. I will let you know how it goes over this weekend, It suppose to rain, but will see..
Thanks
Sal
Old 11-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Tech Adept

Make sure you go back through and level the swash again after moving the servos inside the frame. It won't change much, but it will change enough to through off the level swash.

... and the Align servos are junk. Those are the ones I stripped (that came with my pro). If you ever start having problems with your servos and are looking for new ones, the Hi-Tec HS65MGs or HS5065MGs are the ones to get for a 450 size heli.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Funky
Make sure you go back through and level the swash again after moving the servos inside the frame. It won't change much, but it will change enough to through off the level swash.

... and the Align servos are junk. Those are the ones I stripped (that came with my pro). If you ever start having problems with your servos and are looking for new ones, the Hi-Tec HS65MGs or HS5065MGs are the ones to get for a 450 size heli.

Ok cool, Hitec for sure then.. awsome
I will take this thread and go thru each one by one and hopefully get this bird, nice and steady.. Ill try to post video, if i can.. so you can see it in action after im done with it, Thanks
Old 11-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Tech Adept

It takes a lot of time, but once you get them flying good, there is nothing better It is a tough hobby, but don't give up. Post a vid in this thread once you get it going. Most 3D videos these days all look the same, it is cool to see new guys starting out.

Here is a 2+ year old vid of my buddy flying my 450V2... This should give you something to shoot for after a few years and a TON of practice

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I wish I could fly that heli 1/10th as good as he did. Although, that video really doesn't do him justice since it was his first time flying it and my belt kept slipping when he pushed it too hard. Flying his own heli is a different story. This video was shot around the same time (2+ years ago)... you should see him fly now

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by Funky; 11-18-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Have read thru all this and wanted to say you've helped make my mind up - the T Pro MG9 Hobbypartz servos I bought for my HK450GT are too big to get inside the frame without taking the frame apart which I orig decided not to do.

But after reading thru your replies, I've decided its got to be done if I want it to have a chance to fly correctly. I have a Trex 450 with Hitecs/Futaba digital servos waiting to build, but I want to get my feet wet with this one. Have learned a lot with this one already.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Have read thru all this and wanted to say you've helped make my mind up - the T Pro MG9 Hobbypartz servos I bought for my HK450GT are too big to get inside the frame without taking the frame apart which I orig decided not to do.

But after reading thru your replies, I've decided its got to be done if I want it to have a chance to fly correctly. I have a Trex 450 with Hitecs/Futaba digital servos waiting to build, but I want to get my feet wet with this one. Have learned a lot with this one already.

Yes this thread should help out a lot of people..
I learned a lot of new things.
Thanks
Old 11-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Tech Adept

Did you guys see that pic of the broken blades on the first page... I am not sure if you are listening to the right guy

Anyways, if I helped some, that is great. I definately don't know it all (or anywhere close) and I am still learning more and more every day despite being DEEP in this hobby for over 5 years. I have owned almost every size heli from the tiny mCX to a few 90 size nitros so if you guys have any questions, please ask and I'll try to help. Helifreak.com and Runryder.com are the two best heli sites out there. If you haven't checked them out yet, make sure you do. Many of the people on these sites know more than I ever will.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Tech Lord

I wouldn't have gotten this far without watching Finless Bob's how to vids on Helifreak.....great resource!!
Old 11-19-2010, 09:17 PM
Tech Adept

Duster, I would put the clone aside and just concentrate on your Trex. If you have some good hi-Tec servos, a nice gyro (at least a 401) and a 9257/9650 tail servo, you will be a lot happier and progress quicker than trying to learn with your other heli. The clones are ok, but the ones I have seen just don't take a beating like the Trex can and seem to have some weird problems. Like I said before, there are so many out there that it might not be true for all of the clones, but the ones I have seen are more hassle than fun. Don't be afraid to crash the Trex, that is just part of flying helis. Keep it over the grass, pick up some Pro wood blades, some plastic body mount posts and fly the hell out of it. The great thing about the Trex is how tough it is. You'll see after some crashes, the same stuff breaks/bends and they get easier and easier to fix. It sucks to see such a beautiful new heli get crashed, but the more you learn with it, the better it will get.

You would not believe the abuse I put this heli through and it comes back over and over for more. If you look close enough, you can see a tweaked flybar and bent mainshaft... I was inverted chooping down the top of a skinny tree lower and lower until it couldn't take anymore and crashed (and got a great laugh from everyone watching)... and trust me, when I replace those parts it will fly just as good as it did before.

Attached Thumbnails t-rex450 vs HK450-450-v2-canopy.jpg  
Old 11-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Exclamation

Wow.. Now thats a beating!!!!
Old 11-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Tech Lord

Friends wife surprised him some time ago with a Trex 450 SE kit, 3 HS65mg, an S9650 servos, Align RCE500X Gyro and a Multiplex charger, wood and CF blades. He'd been talking and she'd obviously been listening. He tried my CX2 for a while and realized he just couldn't do it, even something as simple as a coax. I wound up with all of it.

I've never been able to find any info about the gyro, so I don't know if its really up to the task, but believe the lhs prob wouldn't have sold it to her (good customer) if they didn't think it was.

I guess I should consider putting the clone away and starting with this if you think this gyro would get the job done.

Awesome testimony to how well built a real Trex truly is. I can see where the extra money is now.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Tech Adept

That is the older gyro before Align came out with the 750/780 gyros. I run 2 of the 750s and I like them for the price. I never flew the older RCE500 but it will probably work fine while you are starting out although they weren't very popular so I don't know what you should expect. If it gives you any problems, I would watch Runryder for a used 750/Spartan/Mini G/Futaba 520. Personally I really like the Futaba 520 and run one in my 450 Pro, 600N and Raptor 90. I run the other 3 gyros I listed on other helis and they work pretty good too. You can usually find the 520s used in the classifieds for around 100 bucks. You can pick up the Align 750s even cheaper. It would be worth the investment IMO. There is nothing worse than trying to learn to hover with a tail that you constantly have to correct in flight. The other stuff should work great. I love the 65MGs, I ran a 9650 for nearly 1000 fllghts while I was learning before burning it out and I also have a Multiplex charger that works great too. Just make sure you pick up an external balancer (if it is model 5014). That was my first lipo charger and I put it through TONS of charges and still use it as a backup charger. Make sure you mount the gyro upside-down under the boom and the tail servo on the left side of the heli. This will help protect both of them from getting hit by the flybar paddle in a crash. Swap out the metal canopy mount posts for plastic ones too or you'll end up ripping them out of the frame eventually. After that, stock up on main shafts, feathering shafts, tail booms (or the carbon boom holds up better), Pro wood blades and some main shaft bearings. That should be what breaks in the majority of wrecks.

I love my Trex 450. The abuse it has gone through is just rediculous. Once you get over the sadness of crashing it, it bounces back great over and over. Just check out my Trex Abuse videos in this forum and you can see some of the abuse mine has gone through. All of those vides were my V2 (except the last one with my 600N).

Last edited by Funky; 11-20-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

scale should be comming in today, and looking at some align products including the gp750
Old 11-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Funky
That is the older gyro before Align came out with the 750/780 gyros. I run 2 of the 750s and I like them for the price. I never flew the older RCE500 but it will probably work fine while you are starting out although they weren't very popular so I don't know what you should expect. If it gives you any problems, I would watch Runryder for a used 750/Spartan/Mini G/Futaba 520. Personally I really like the Futaba 520 and run one in my 450 Pro, 600N and Raptor 90. I run the other 3 gyros I listed on other helis and they work pretty good too. You can usually find the 520s used in the classifieds for around 100 bucks. You can pick up the Align 750s even cheaper. It would be worth the investment IMO. There is nothing worse than trying to learn to hover with a tail that you constantly have to correct in flight. The other stuff should work great. I love the 65MGs, I ran a 9650 for nearly 1000 fllghts while I was learning before burning it out and I also have a Multiplex charger that works great too. Just make sure you pick up an external balancer (if it is model 5014). That was my first lipo charger and I put it through TONS of charges and still use it as a backup charger. Make sure you mount the gyro upside-down under the boom and the tail servo on the left side of the heli. This will help protect both of them from getting hit by the flybar paddle in a crash. Swap out the metal canopy mount posts for plastic ones too or you'll end up ripping them out of the frame eventually. After that, stock up on main shafts, feathering shafts, tail booms (or the carbon boom holds up better), Pro wood blades and some main shaft bearings. That should be what breaks in the majority of wrecks.

I looked at that Align gyro and it has a $78 sticker on it so it's a lower price range gyro to start with. I've learned about buying used electronics - too much risk of getting someone else's probs (unless I know them). I'll just buy a new 520 and be done with it. I've already bought half dozen sets of Align wood blades in anticpiation of needing them.

I'm not sure I understand your comment on mounting the gyro upside down though. I understand mounting it under the boom, that part I understand, but what do you mean by upside down? Are you saying to mount it under the boom and when flip it over to look at it, it'll be just like it would be if mounted on top?? Sorry, I'm confused. Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.