Community
Wiki Posts
Search

charging, electricity, safety, learning

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Default charging, electricity, safety, learning

I'm not sure what to call this post, so many things...

I started with frustration about my new Passport Ultra. The documentation on this is, in my opinion, horrific, and I wonder how people safely learn how to use these things without burning down the house. OK, so let me start with the complaints about that:

How do you hook your battery to the charger? Seems simple, right? But there are no illustrations or instructions on this anywhere in the manual; it's assumed you know. Same with the intro video on line. Now if, like me, you have grown into RC flying using kit planes that are RTF with a charger in the box you've never had to connect the primary leads to attach a charger, it worked all thru the balance connection -- so how do I know there's anything different to do here? Gotta figure it out.

Same issue with settings -- very important that all settings are correct when charging lipos, gotta be safe with lipos, but very few of the settings are explained as to how to determine what's the right setting. There's a temperature probe included. Doesn't identify it in the docs, doesn't say where to attach, nothing. Good luck with it though.

Unfortunately this level of documentation for electronics seems to be the norm. Seems like a big liability issue for those who sell these products. Where does a novice learn about these things? Is there a place where detailed info is posted? It all seems so haphazard.

Sorry for the rant, but the standard for documentation at least should be a bit higher. OK, I feel better now.