Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heli begginer: Blade CP or Venom 3D?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 05:09 PM
gbf
Tech Rookie

Default Heli begginer: Blade CP or Venom 3D?

Hi,

I'm trying to decide which will be my first heli to buy, and I figure the most valuable input would be the feedback of the experts in this forum!

I want an ARF or RTF that can be flown outdoors and made of quality materials, not a cheap heli that will disintegrate in 1000 pieces after the first crash. I also want to go with a collective pitch heli, so I don't have to change it in a few months when I may want to start trying some 3D. I don't really plan to buy a lot of upgrades (mayme another battery pack), just want a decent heli with a stable flight to have some fun with it, without breaking the bank.

Having said that, based on online research only, I have narrowed my choices to either the Blade CP, or the Venom Night Ranger 3D.
Both are within my budget, seems like solid aircrafts and have good availability of spare parts... The Blade CP seems to have the option of connecting the transmitter to the PC with an optional cable, and have some simulator time, so that is a plus (not sure if the Venom has the same).

What do you guys recommend? any info/suggestions would be really appreciated!

Also, if you feel I should look into other brands please let me know... I was also looking at some Walkeras DragonFly #35, #45, but couldn't find much info and they have too many models to choose from.... are they good?

Thanks

PS: I do plan to take it very slow with my first heli, get the training gear, some SIM time if possible, to get this heli to last much more than a couple of days!!! :-)

Last edited by gbf; 04-07-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:00 PM
Tech Regular

The Blade will be easyier to get parts for.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Blade CP or the esky CP2 (same helicopter) is good. So you should get this. You can watch a demo video from here
Old 05-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Tech Regular

yea i was lookin into gettin a heli also, first i wanted a blade cx but then i said i want something where when i get good i dont need to buy a whole new and really expensive heli to be able to do some arobics (or whatever) whats the difference between that esky one and the blade cp, is it worth getting the blade cp pro as a first heli insted of the regular one? thanks for the help
Old 05-03-2006, 08:04 PM
Tech Regular

o and i was wondering, whats a swash plate do cause i was looking throug the upgrade parts and it had that in aluminum??
Old 05-07-2006, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

blade cp all the way...it is a fixed rotor head so it will be easier to learn on... even the EF sabre is a good choice
Old 05-08-2006, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

if you plan on flying outdoors, you mgiht want to look at the helimax MX400 series, they are a little bigger, and work alot better in the wind, i had a blade and it was hard to fly even in the slightest breeze, where the MX is alot more stable, the only thing is it costs more, and doesn't come RTF, but i think its worth the extra $$$ IMO, i'm much happier with it than i was with the blade,

oh and i'm just a beginier too, all i can do is hover, and another note, the MX was a little more time consuming to get set up properly, so if you can, find someone experienced to help you with it, but once its set up, its awsome,

what i'm using is,

MX400 Pro,
Spektrum RX and TX,
E-flight servos for alerons, pitch and elevator,
Futaba S3110 servo for rudder
Futaba GY240 gyro,
Thunder power 1900 Mah battery,

works great, my dad also has the same set up, but is using a PCM Futaba 9C radio and receiver,

http://www.helimax-rc.com/index.html
Old 05-12-2006, 03:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Blade CP is not a fixed rotor...CP stands for Collective Pitch

Personally, either of those helicopters will be rather difficult to work on. Your best bet is to shell out a little more money and snag a T-rex. You can get a combo with motor and ESC for about $250. Sure they're more expensive and don't include radio gear or anything...but you'll learn much easier on one of these. And if you ever want to advance I guarantee you're going to wish you got one later. CHeck here for the kit:

http://www.modefosheli.com/combo_deals

And check here for more info on the helicopter, and some sweet set-up videos

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/f94p1/

As for the difference between the E-sky Honey Bee and the Blade CP...the Honey Bee has a better head set-up. They're pretty much the same helicopter though.
The swash plate is what connects the servo pushrods to the head assembly. Basically, it's what allows you to change the pitch of the blades, and the angle of the head
Old 05-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Tech Regular

thanks mike,
also isnt the t-rex a harder plain to fly and more money to replace parts on for a first timer
Old 05-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

It's actually easier to fly in my opinion. The Blade/HB tends to be much more touchy. The 'Rex will be a little more expensive to get going, but it's definitely worth it. Parts aren't really much more. My last crash killed everything in the head above the Swashplate (blades included) and it cost me $50, which really isn't that bad.
Just pick up some training gear, which if you can't find at Modefo's you can find at www.rchover.com. It's only an extra $10 and can be a big help. I'd definitely recommend the Rex over the BCP or HBCP2 anyday

Hell, I just realized your on LI. If you get one drop me a PM or something, I'd be glad to help you set it up
Old 05-13-2006, 08:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MikeWz

Hell, I just realized your on LI. If you get one drop me a PM or something, I'd be glad to help you set it up
will do my man
Old 05-14-2006, 03:45 AM
Tech Elite

how bout the twister bell 47 is it any good? im thinking bout buying 1
Old 05-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default savage

i have a blade for sale that helps any