• 1 Post By xl-racing
  • 1 Post By statik

First RC Plane - Flying Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 03:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Default First RC Plane - Flying Tips?

Hey all,

I've flown quite a few heli/multicopter setups, but just put together a Skwalker 1900 and a SkySufer (Bixler clone). I've been using a simulator a good bit and have picked up a few tips that I just wanted to make sure translated to real-life flying.<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->speed test
  • Cut throttle for landing (0-20%) <showbox
  • Pull back on elevator when turning with ailerons
  • Use very light aileron control
  • Expect several passes before being able to land
What is the best orientation for landing? The easiest seems to be to fly over myself and then land ahead so I can ensure roll orientation is correct. I'm most worried about clipping a wing on landing and tearing the plane apart.

Any other tips? Nervous to make my first flight.

Last edited by DenilCartel; 05-22-2021 at 03:10 AM.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

rcgroups has probably more users and forums that can help but considering I fly a plane with SAFE enabled take any advice I have with a grain of salt. I can only say set your limits on the ailerons to something like 50% maybe to start and put in alittle mixing on the rudder in the opposite direction to counter the aileron effect if you haven't already. That way if you end up using more stick you don't end up doing a barrel roll.
Dave_S likes this.
Old 05-24-2021, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DenilCartel
Hey all,

I've flown quite a few heli/multicopter setups, but just put together a Skwalker 1900 and a SkySufer (Bixler clone). I've been using a simulator a good bit and have picked up a few tips that I just wanted to make sure translated to real-life flying.<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->speed test
  • Cut throttle for landing (0-20%) <showbox
  • Pull back on elevator when turning with ailerons

• Use very light aileron control

• Expect several passes before being able to land

What is the best orientation for landing? The easiest seems to be to fly over myself and then land ahead so I can ensure roll orientation is correct. I'm most worried about clipping a wing on landing and tearing the plane apart.

Any other tips? Nervous to make my first flight.

If you've flown a heli and multirotor through line of sight (which helps you to learn some orientation) and have flown in simulator without problem then you should have no problem flying a plane such as a bixler. One thing you'll need to do is to find a big grassy field and when you take off make sure you launch against the head wind (flying against the wind) so you can easily take off and have more lift. For a bixler since it has a dihedral wing tips you can easily fly it with minimal assistance and should you crash it handle impact very well. Just put EPA to 70~80% throw and EXPO to 45% curve (low "U" shape graft curve) so that the first servo throw wouldn't get to twitchy on all flight controls surfaces. For first launch don't hand launch it, try to let the plane glide on the smooth ground on its belly. Let it build up some speed before you pull the elevator.

*Note: if you still wanted to learn more on simulator the turn up the weather option to high winds and more turbulent.

The only problem that the simulator or flying a heli or multirotor doesn't teach is setup the plane/fixed wings need proper Center Gravity setup. Make sure you get it right. Tail heavy plane will fly worst than nose heavy. Remember make sure you fly in big open field with no trees because trees will disrupt airflow nearby field causes the plane to shake violently. SAFE feature is good but however you won't learn much about plane true reaction since you don't learn a good mistake out of it. Don't expect your first maiden flight to be perfect and get back home with perfect plane intact. For everyone the first plane will always be smash and bashed but it worth learning. Once you learned and earned it you'll be addicted to flying. Soon you'll earn the skill hover a plane like heli/multirotor.

For your first flight don't worry about landing orientation, learn it later. Right now you'll need to learn how to make you feel comfortable flying the plane in any orientation in the air. You'll learn something new once you progress forward.

Don't worry about crashing or break the plane in pieces, it can be fixed in a minutes with hot water and hot glue. Fly the Bixler first, then when you're good fly Skwalker 1900 as your second plane.
Dave_S likes this.
Old 08-13-2021, 03:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I think the biggest mistake for a lot of noobs is flying at a place that isn’t big enough.
I have done it also.

need tons of extra room while learning. In the sky and at the landing strip.
Dave_S likes this.