Wiki Posts
Search

Aquacraft Reef Racer Mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 05:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by FORT-26
Most LiPo chargers have discharge function....Check your charger's manual.
Mine didn't. So I hooked up a 55w car headlight bulb and the voltage monitor alarm (it has a display that shows the voltage for each cell), and discharged it down to 3.85 / cell. Probably took something like 10 minutes or so. Later in the night I found out one of my motorcycling buddies is also an avid RC fan (quad-copters), and he gave me his old Thunder AC6 charger, so I'm all good now. Can't wait to get the parts and start modding this little boat
Old 04-23-2014, 07:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yeah, those little voltage checker/monitors are great. Must-have in any RC toolbox for sure! I've been looking at these ReefRacers for a while now and they look like a blast, if you're just sitting on the dock, bashing and racing... I'm going to start looking at the scratch-n-dent pages...Very cool.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey Fast1Guy,

Got all parts yesterday, and tested it in my swimming pool today. This is a beast for my 18x36 pool, haha FYI, all of my parts are the same as yours (motor, ESC, transmitter/receiver).

Anyway, wanted to share something I found out. Since I have 2 batteries, each of them 2s 2000mah, I got to do two test runs.

Test 1: no settings whatsoever on the Seaking 25a ESC. This thing was impossible to work with in my pool, because not enough space to gradually gain speed. A little beast!

Test 2: I changed the timing in the ESC, the default was 15 degrees, I changed it to 7.50 degrees. This tamed it down quite a bit, totally enjoyable fast little thing in the swimming pool. The reduction in power/speed from 15 to 7.50 degrees was quite big. Still, the boat was probably about 1.5 or 2 times faster than stock. Runtime on the 2000mah was about 10-12 minutes at full throttle before I noticed it slowed down and pulled it out. I didn't time the Test 1 because I never really got to spend the whole battery, it was way too fast for the pool.

Can't wait to get to the lake!

Thanks again!
Old 05-01-2014, 09:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Oh, one thing that almost cut my fingertips---at some point while trying things out in my shop, I turned off the transmitter, but left the battery plugged connected in the boat. I thought since the transmitter is off, it's not a problem. After about 1 minute or so, suddenly the boat starts and goes full throttle on its own.

I'm new to this, don't know how things work and I'm glad I wasn't hurt, but why did this happen? Is it normal?
Old 05-01-2014, 09:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Last thing---tell us what needs lubing and tips on how to do it. Thanks bud!
Old 05-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by corsara
Oh, one thing that almost cut my fingertips---at some point while trying things out in my shop, I turned off the transmitter, but left the battery plugged connected in the boat. I thought since the transmitter is off, it's not a problem. After about 1 minute or so, suddenly the boat starts and goes full throttle on its own.

I'm new to this, don't know how things work and I'm glad I wasn't hurt, but why did this happen? Is it normal?
You need to set the failsafe on the Fly Sky receiver. This way when the receiver looses signal from the transmitter(radio) the throttle will go to off or zero throttle.

Last thing---tell us what needs lubing and tips on how to do it. Thanks bud!
You only need to grease the propeller shaft. I use AquaCraft GrimRacer Speed Grease Drive Cable Lube

AquaCraft GrimRacer Speed Grease Drive Cable Lube

Get some video if you can. I always enjoy running my Reef Racer
Old 05-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Anyone tried the reef racer 2 with a different propeller? I want to get rid of the plastic one and put something sturdier, but can't find one with the same size. Any recommendations?
Old 05-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Tech Adept

Anyone tried the reef racer 2 with a different propeller? I want to get rid of the plastic one and put something sturdier, but can't find one with the same size. Any recommendations?
I have had good success with a Octura X427. It is very close to the stock prop in dia. and pitch. The Reef Racer 2 has a 3mm propeller shaft which is .007" smaller than the 1/8" prop size but it still fits with very little play. I find that the stock plastic breaks very easily in cold water.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks. I'll pick one up with my next order. I hope it doesn't wiggle too much.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Got a 12' X 24' ft pool liner, cinder blocks and a bunch of foam for guardrails and track barriers....

My question is what is the lowest depth of water these little boats can run in?

The ones I will be using in specific are the Pro Boat Blackjack 9 mini boat on 2S lipos.. Gonna run different types of circuits and an oval occasionally... thats the beauty of the foam pieces. You can rearrange the track once it starts to get repetitive---some races, but mainly just for fun. But, I got 6 Blackjack 9's just to make sure they were all the same spec. (No excuses for losing lol)

I'm also considering getting these Reef RAcers... But, now after seeing this video i'm considering getting all reef racers! That self flipping hull feature seems like gold when I start to rent out the boats to kids... i'm sure they'll be flipping them by the minute

Anyway, reason I ask about minimum depth is cause I may want to get rid of the cinder blocks and use a short and stout PVC frame for the hopes of the "water track" being somewhat portable. Also, less water depth = less pressure on the frame and easier to fill/empty.

I'm hoping they can be ran aggressively in 8-10 inches of water...

Have an idea about a underwater pump providing some "rapids" or just to add some kind of current to the track.... I have an old, 30 gph turtle tank pump I could toss in there. I was thinking of angling the current so that when you hit the small "straight" (22ft) it pushes you into it kinda like a "booster" current so if you hit it right you can rocket through (also, if you hit it wrong--reverse effects haha)....

Anyway, this sounds like a pretty fun deal.

I'll make sure to post a vid when I get this going

WE have an event coming up on the 24 of this month so I'll be sure to post footage before then

My big question is has anyone heard or (even better) tried the Pro Boat Blackjack 9? It's $75 RTR and I can get them at $62/each shipped from my local hobby shop in a quantity deal...

A new Reef rACer 2 is about $70 shipped so they are around the same price.... Hmmm

I'm thinking about reliability, durability and some kind of speed and agility for pond racing.

Any suggestions, guys?
Old 05-28-2014, 10:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yes!.....You should buy these! Add a few boats to your mini racing fleet!

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ts-extras.html
Old 02-25-2015, 01:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Those are some pretty cool mods. Probably a little too fast for little nephew to drive though.