Wiki Posts
Search

Electric Boat Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 08:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Electric Boat Upgrade

I have an electric, Tyco 9.6v twin turbo "Miller High Life" hydo. I was wondering if I can replace the stock motor,batteries etc, with something more powerful, Thanks!
Old 01-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

I would not waste the time nor money. If you want to get your feet wet in boating I would get a hobby grade boat, where you can at least get parts. Proboat and aquacraft have great starter boats at decent prices, that china stuff is no better on ebay, you get what you pay for.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Suspended

you could but problem is the boat was not designed with that sort of speed in mind and it would not be very stable...you can pick up a boat pretty cheap just got my son a old traxxas viper R for $40.. i put a 12 motor and a new prop and i'm thinking its getting around 22-24mph..
Old 02-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vintage7
I have an electric, Tyco 9.6v twin turbo "Miller High Life" hydo. I was wondering if I can replace the stock motor,batteries etc, with something more powerful, Thanks!
you could, but it wouldn't be a simple swap. the internals of those toy store boats are really rinky-dink, and even if you could swap the motor for something larger, you'd need to a better speed control to handle the higher current draw.. then there's the issue of the radio, which isn't going to be something that will handle an "upgrade" so that will have to go too... the steering is handled by a non proportional servo, so that would have to go too. If you're looking for a little more speed on a budget, just get a cheap small 3s lipo 11.1v(assuming you have a charger for them already.. if not, then the whole idea is not worth it) and try it out. You'll likely fry something, but then you can chuck it and buy a better hobby grade boat. The problem with getting a larger nicad or nihm battery is weight. You'd want to replace the stock 9.6v with something that has more voltage (otherwise, what's the point), and getting that voltage with sub-c cells would be heavy (a 9 cell sub-c pack). The stock 9.6v battery is actually fairly small compared to a regular 6 cell sub-c pack, and that's pretty much all the boat can handle weight wise.
My 3 year old had a crappy spiderman RC he wanted to play with, and I got tired of slow charging the tyco 6v it came with, so I wired some deans connectors on it to run a small 2s lipo.. it rips, and hasn't died yet, but when it does I'm not out anything.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If your looking for something on the cheap consider a Minimono by Aquacraft, parts are cheap (I have had to buy a coupler once). There really quick for a 16" boat around 30 mph. Its brushless and you can get batteries for $7 at hobbypartz.com.

Here is a little video of my boat.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
I would not waste the time nor money. If you want to get your feet wet in boating I would get a hobby grade boat, where you can at least get parts. Proboat and aquacraft have great starter boats at decent prices, that china stuff is no better on ebay, you get what you pay for.
Tyco is a toy company, so I agree. There are a few Chinese sellers on Ebay who sell the better boating stuff such as fiberglass hull, machined strut/rudders etc.
Proboat makes some nice hulls but they are not the best quality.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Tech Rookie

I to have the tyco hydro twin turbo boat. I dont have the remote for it so if you convert it i might be interested in yours if youd want to sell. The tyco twin turbo is actually not a bad boat its an early tyco. In there early years witch where boarder on hobby grade. In fact the miller high life tycos are from a hobby grade company cant remember witch.Thats why they have the place for a rudder but no rudder there. they turn by giving power to one or the other motor.They are not as fast as any thing today maybe around 10-15 mph, but Ive looked at mine from time to time and thought about converting it Im more into gas and that would be a stretch. The quality of the boat is just as good as any of my gas boats witch is suprising. Id start of by changing the motors to brushless and see if you can find a riptide for a rudder and then put in a servo etc and use a hobby grade remote. also the riptide has faster motors not bad back in the day but pretty bad now.

Last edited by stubby pickle; 04-08-2012 at 12:31 AM. Reason: add stuff
Old 04-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

You could keep the boat for recovery if you where to get a new one.