Search

Would like to get into boating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Would like to get into boating

I'm a on road car guy and have been thinking about getting into boating. Thing is that I want something hobby grade but something I can run in my pool. Is there something slow enough for a pool but not as slow and boring as a toy rc boat?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Tech Addict

OK, first, what size of a pool are we typing about? In-or-above ground? Olympic?
AquaCraft Boats sells some hobby grade RC boats that can run in some pools. for the price they're a lot faster than department store junk and sometimes in the same price range. The best part is that they will take a beating and if something does break, you can get parts for them. With the department store toys, when something happens you might as well toss it in the trash. Horizon Hobby/ProBoat als sells some in the size that you're looking for. Compare features as some of these will come with stick or pistol-grip TX's and 12-volt or 110 AC chargers.
A few years ago I picked up a Zig-Zag Racer because I had some money burning a hole in my pocket. For the money, it was a blast. It was a boat that I could hand over to a kid to play with or just mess around with it myself. The speed was respectable for its size, 12-15 MPH, plenty fast enough for a pool.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ron Olson
OK, first, what size of a pool are we typing about? In-or-above ground? Olympic?
AquaCraft Boats sells some hobby grade RC boats that can run in some pools. for the price they're a lot faster than department store junk and sometimes in the same price range. The best part is that they will take a beating and if something does break, you can get parts for them. With the department store toys, when something happens you might as well toss it in the trash. Horizon Hobby/ProBoat als sells some in the size that you're looking for. Compare features as some of these will come with stick or pistol-grip TX's and 12-volt or 110 AC chargers.
A few years ago I picked up a Zig-Zag Racer because I had some money burning a hole in my pocket. For the money, it was a blast. It was a boat that I could hand over to a kid to play with or just mess around with it myself. The speed was respectable for its size, 12-15 MPH, plenty fast enough for a pool.
Thanks so much. I lilke the sound of those zig zags. That way I can let my son learn how to control a radio and not have to worry about it. Who makes the zig zag?
Old 11-30-2011, 08:50 PM
Tech Addict

They're making a 3rd version now, I've still got the first collecting dust.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid

This here may be too much for a pool but could possibly run in a decent sized one: http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats...ono/index.html