Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Boating
rc boat nitro to b/l conversion >

rc boat nitro to b/l conversion

rc boat nitro to b/l conversion

Old 07-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default rc boat nitro to b/l conversion

I have a nitro boat im wondering how and what parts to use for a b/l conversion. Its 41" long and currently running a k&b .45 nitro engine. Ive been in the rc hobby for about 12 years now and have some knowledge about electric motors, but have no idea what size to use or kv kw rating and mount up, esc batteries, etc. i want this boat to be fast on the cheap. As it sits now it seems way too slow for my taste, and the nitro motor cuts out too much. im finally getting around to making a recovery boat out of a nitro vee i changed to electric. ive been looking into a few motors and such but what is the best combo for a boat this big. i guess weight would be an issue too. so just wonderin what you guys think. btw has any one heard or bandit boats or seen this model before ive looked around the net and havent found much.
Attached Thumbnails rc boat nitro to b/l conversion-img_1637.jpg   rc boat nitro to b/l conversion-img_1634.jpg   rc boat nitro to b/l conversion-img_1635.jpg   rc boat nitro to b/l conversion-img_1638.jpg  
Old 07-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Its possible but I don't think its going to be cheap and fast.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Default [url]http://www.nitrorcx.com/77p-lbp5692-3d-1340kv.html[/url]

ive been looking at leopard motors what would be a good kv kw rating for that size of boat.. and yeah the research ive done doent look like it will be cheap.. but why wouldnt it be fast.. also wondering if you attach flex shaft directly to motor by way of collet. or need a trans in there. it looks like ill buy piece by piece.. maybe something like this for a motor.. . how to mount it is another problem
Old 07-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

I belong to this forum, you should get some better answers:
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/forum.php
Old 07-11-2011, 03:41 AM
Tech Elite

It is possible but you hae to remove the engine and radio box. Then you need to clean the inside of the hull. I recommend to use a 40 size brushless motor with a 3/16 coupler for a 5mm motorshaft. Your current hardware is fine but you need to waterpoof the hatch using waterproof tape like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquacraft-1-2-Wa...item5199eb8bc5
Old 07-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Rookie

a 40 series motor just seems too small.. what kind of speed would i see with that and a a good prop combo.. also how do i pair motor and esc.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Default leopard

i run a leopard 4074 2200kv in a pursuit with a turnegy 180 amp esc etti cap bank for heat reduction and it runs high 40;s....its a real good inexpencive way to get some speed ....if 40mm is too small try the 5692 1090kv on 8 cell......its quit a bit more expencive that way and prob no faster u would just be able to use bigger props and bigger esc.....
Old 10-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Low KV value is an advantage, once saw some 800KV motor. High torque low rpm increase the propulsion efficiency.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

800KV would require high voltage though, 8-10S. A Swordfish HV ESC should handle that but they aren't cheap. I think they're like $250 over at OSE
Old 10-07-2011, 04:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R0GU3ST4TUS View Post
I have a nitro boat im wondering how and what parts to use for a b/l conversion. Its 41" long and currently running a k&b .45 nitro engine. Ive been in the rc hobby for about 12 years now and have some knowledge about electric motors, but have no idea what size to use or kv kw rating and mount up, esc batteries, etc. i want this boat to be fast on the cheap. As it sits now it seems way too slow for my taste, and the nitro motor cuts out too much. im finally getting around to making a recovery boat out of a nitro vee i changed to electric. ive been looking into a few motors and such but what is the best combo for a boat this big. i guess weight would be an issue too. so just wonderin what you guys think. btw has any one heard or bandit boats or seen this model before ive looked around the net and havent found much.

This is completely achievable of course you can.

Motor....my suggestion CC1717 1580kv on 6S2P and there is still some around. Or a Leopard 4082 1600kv on 6S2P or outrunner Scorpion

ESC would be nothing less than a T180A from HK

or a swordfish 200A from rcboat bitz (remember to WProof the ESC).

Have a go you know you want too
Old 10-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by losifiend View Post
800KV would require high voltage though, 8-10S. A Swordfish HV ESC should handle that but they aren't cheap. I think they're like $250 over at OSE
Yes. High voltage low current is also an advantage. Less electrical power lost.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Tech Rookie

i also converted my nitro over to brusless but mine is an outboard motor. i made and adaptor plate..i was wondering if anyone has issues with overheating of the wires. i melted the solder twice on my esc for the connectors.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wild248man View Post
i also converted my nitro over to brusless but mine is an outboard motor. i made and adaptor plate..i was wondering if anyone has issues with overheating of the wires. i melted the solder twice on my esc for the connectors.
What motor/esc are you using? What connectors, size of wire, prop size?