Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Help diagnosing motor/esc problem? >

Help diagnosing motor/esc problem?

Help diagnosing motor/esc problem?

Old 05-11-2017, 11:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
Not sure who the OEM is for that particular ESC, but it doesn't really look like a SkyRc to me, if anything the switch kinda looks like a HobbyWing, or some variant of a HobbyWing clone. I have had pretty good luck with their X-Car series ESC's, they used to be rebranded through Brushless Hobbies and are also HobbyWing compatible in terms of the programming cards. I would ask around the track to see if someone has a HW programming card to test on your ESC?

I would also consider investing in a Hall Sensor tester too:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
that looks promising.

It looks pretty cheap, so I'll get one ordered.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:31 PM
Tech Addict

I think I figured it out. I got the sensor, but it's the wrong one...but I don't think I even need it now.

It appears that the ESC is getting very hot quickly after I start running the motor.

I put the truck on the concrete floor, pulled the trigger, letting it spin it's tires. The power was there, and no pulsing. But the ESC got noticeably warm in a couple seconds, and when it started feeling quite hot, the problem I'm having started.

This did happen before, but I didn't think to mention it. I took the motor and ESC apart, put it back together, and took the truck out for a run. For a few seconds, everything seemed fine. But seconds later the problem came back.

So what is a cheap ESC that can handle a 6.5T and will run reliably? I'm a bit gun shy on budget 1/10 ESCs, because I've bought 2 used stadium trucks, and the ESC crapped out on both of them!

I know that if I buy an Tekin RSX, it'll run flawlessly in the next 10 trucks I own. But it's $200, and this truck was supposed to be inexpensive!

I'm open to suggestions. I'll check into the ones that were previously mentioned in this thread.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fredygump View Post
I think I figured it out. I got the sensor, but it's the wrong one...but I don't think I even need it now.

It appears that the ESC is getting very hot quickly after I start running the motor.

I put the truck on the concrete floor, pulled the trigger, letting it spin it's tires. The power was there, and no pulsing. But the ESC got noticeably warm in a couple seconds, and when it started feeling quite hot, the problem I'm having started.

This did happen before, but I didn't think to mention it. I took the motor and ESC apart, put it back together, and took the truck out for a run. For a few seconds, everything seemed fine. But seconds later the problem came back.

So what is a cheap ESC that can handle a 6.5T and will run reliably? I'm a bit gun shy on budget 1/10 ESCs, because I've bought 2 used stadium trucks, and the ESC crapped out on both of them!

I know that if I buy an Tekin RSX, it'll run flawlessly in the next 10 trucks I own. But it's $200, and this truck was supposed to be inexpensive!

I'm open to suggestions. I'll check into the ones that were previously mentioned in this thread.
The only other option that's reasonably cheap that I would feel comfortable spending my money on is either the new Ruddog RP120 or the Hobbywing XR10 esc lineup. Those will see you around $100 with Amain coupons. There is also the SMC RF170 that is complete overkill but it can be used in any 1/10 application and you can buy a battery while you're at it lol Plus it's the same price as the Ruddog with way more power.

That's if you want sensored running. But for sensorless there are some good cheaper waterproof options from Hobbywing as well.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 254 (100%+)

Cheap/reliable usually don't come together. As mentioned, the Hobbywing and SMC are probably the best bang for the buck.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Andy Koback View Post
Cheap/reliable usually don't come together. As mentioned, the Hobbywing and SMC are probably the best bang for the buck.
which is precisely why I sold the x-car esc that came with my wheeler ASAP because granted there are people who have had great experiences, there are also almost just as many horror stories lol. I didn't want to be one.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:49 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Andy Koback View Post
Originally Posted by EbbTide View Post
which is precisely why I sold the x-car esc that came with my wheeler ASAP because granted there are people who have had great experiences, there are also almost just as many horror stories lol. I didn't want to be one.

I know you guys are right. And the math is simple...if I buy a cheap esc, and it fails, I'll be out more money than if I just bought the good one...which is warrantied, can be repaired, or even replaced at a discounted price if repair isn't possible.

Does any other company offer repair service and/or replacement the way Tekin does? I haven't heard of any.

I was looking at the Ruddog. The case is similar to the SMC, but the connections are different. I thought I saw the same thing somewhere else, but I can't remember where.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

I know you guys are right. And the math is simple...if I buy a cheap esc, and it fails, I'll be out more money than if I just bought the good one...which is warrantied, can be repaired, or even replaced at a discounted price if repair isn't possible.

Does any other company offer repair service and/or replacement the way Tekin does? I haven't heard of any.

I was looking at the Ruddog. The case is similar to the SMC, but the connections are different. I thought I saw the same thing somewhere else, but I can't remember where.
Castle would be the closest that I have personally experienced that has warranty service similar to Tekin, next would probably be SMC. Their stuff is cheap but the owner will stand behind his products and his warranties are solid. Also he's very helpful with setup/programming questions which makes it more worthwhile.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by EbbTide View Post
Castle would be the closest that I have personally experienced that has warranty service similar to Tekin, next would probably be SMC. Their stuff is cheap but the owner will stand behind his products and his warranties are solid. Also he's very helpful with setup/programming questions which makes it more worthwhile.

Found a lightly used RSX (looks on Ebay for about the same price as the other options mentioned here.

It is sold by a guy who's also got a couple Kyosho wheelers for sale, which appear to be run very little, if ever...oddly one of them has ~10-15 sets of A-arms, ~5 bodies, bags of gears, extra chassis to go with the flawless chassis on the buggy, and clay tires...for a moment I thought it could be run hard but look clean if it is run on carpet, but no carpet tires.

Anyway, it's always a chance on Ebay, but if it came from one of the wheelers he's selling at the same time, then it should be essentially new.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Found a lightly used RSX (looks on Ebay for about the same price as the other options mentioned here.

It is sold by a guy who's also got a couple Kyosho wheelers for sale, which appear to be run very little, if ever...oddly one of them has ~10-15 sets of A-arms, ~5 bodies, bags of gears, extra chassis to go with the flawless chassis on the buggy, and clay tires...for a moment I thought it could be run hard but look clean if it is run on carpet, but no carpet tires.

Anyway, it's always a chance on Ebay, but if it came from one of the wheelers he's selling at the same time, then it should be essentially new.
Well granted the ESC is used I think Tekin offers service for a fee. Not bad if it's good nik
Old 05-22-2017, 06:07 PM
Tech Addict

I got the RSX, installed it, and took the truck for a run. Turns out it was the ESC after all.

Now I have about double the power I was getting before. I didn't have the slipper cranked down tight enough, so I wasn't getting quite all the power the motor is capable of.

I gotta say I'm impressed with that little truck. it isn't as stable as a 1/8, for obvious reasons, but it is pretty quick..and can get nearly as much air as the buggy. it's way quicker than my old dest210 w/ 13.5t.