Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
High Lipo discharhing ?? >

High Lipo discharhing ??

High Lipo discharhing ??

Reply

Old 05-09-2017, 09:23 AM
  #1  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Byronf1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Guatemala
Posts: 126
Default High Lipo discharhing ??


When you high discharging your lipos I mean 40A discharge, always? or before a race? or sometimes.... I have understood is to reduce IR, can it be done hours before a race or it has to be inmediatly before to cylce...?
Byronf1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:08 AM
  #2  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 97
Default

from my knowledge its to get heat in the battery which in turn reduces IR.

basically you have to time it to be beneficial.
know how long it take to discharge at 40 amp and charge at 20 amps( or more)
and time it right before your heat/main. (i don't do this cause i cant afford new lipos every 3 to 6 months).

heat in lipo is what reduces the ir but most have rules where you cant heat the outside so u have to do it internally.
540bilotilo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:39 AM
  #3  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (254)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Wisconsin USA
Posts: 3,894
Trader Rating: 254 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 540bilotilo View Post
from my knowledge its to get heat in the battery which in turn reduces IR.

basically you have to time it to be beneficial.
know how long it take to discharge at 40 amp and charge at 20 amps( or more)
and time it right before your heat/main. (i don't do this cause i cant afford new lipos every 3 to 6 months).

heat in lipo is what reduces the ir but most have rules where you cant heat the outside so u have to do it internally.
This is done alot in one cell stock racing. High discharge creates heat in the battery which reduces IR and gives a little extra spunk up front but, as stated, if this isn't done back to back just before your next race, it's all for nothing. If the battery sits a few minutes after this disch/chg cycle before the race starts, nothing gained. I don't think this would be worth the hassle for 2S and up.
Andy Koback is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:43 AM
  #4  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 823
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

I think the whole idea of getting the battery warm is ridiculous. How long until the "if some is good, more is better!" attitude takes over and someone blows one up on accident? I remember a few years back they were checking battery temps in tech...
anthonyscardina is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:51 AM
  #5  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 97
Default

Originally Posted by anthonyscardina View Post
I think the whole idea of getting the battery warm is ridiculous. How long until the "if some is good, more is better!" attitude takes over and someone blows one up on accident? I remember a few years back they were checking battery temps in tech...
checking battery temps does nothing when u heat lipo internally the outside case is below what legal.

i have even heard of discharging at like at 60 or 80 amp which is insane
540bilotilo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:54 AM
  #6  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,208
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Andy Koback View Post
This is done alot in one cell stock racing. High discharge creates heat in the battery which reduces IR and gives a little extra spunk up front but, as stated, if this isn't done back to back just before your next race, it's all for nothing. If the battery sits a few minutes after this disch/chg cycle before the race starts, nothing gained. I don't think this would be worth the hassle for 2S and up.
OH it matters Andy, it matters! Current charge/discharge rates are at or pushing 70amps plus, on 2s packs....across the country for 17.5 racing.

I'm not doing it, but I've run "pushed" packs as some call them, and yes there is a difference.
racer1812 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:00 PM
  #7  
Moderator
iTrader: (21)
 
MarkA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 9,161
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by anthonyscardina View Post
How long until the "if some is good, more is better!" attitude takes over and someone blows one up on accident?
If you haven't seen it happen yet, you will. One of the tracks I race at has adopted a no-discharge, 2C charge rate max rule. Much like many things in stock racing, it's on the honor system but it's something I could see becoming a trend.
MarkA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:00 PM
  #8  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (2)
 
Apco1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tx
Posts: 600
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I'm still a little scared of lipo packs. I'll charge at a 2c rate on my 4s but thats it. Last thing I want to do is start a fire.
Apco1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:46 PM
  #9  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 28
Default

It depends which lipos are you using. You have noted what capaciy of your lipos.

Last edited by betty; 05-18-2017 at 12:35 AM.
betty is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service