Battery and servo help

Old 01-12-2017, 02:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Battery and servo help

Two quick questions.

I'm in the process of making a bait boat for fishing. To help with keeping it balanced I'd like to use two batteries. Would this be be possible as long as the voltage didn't over load the esc? I'm sure I've seen a "Y" style deans connector.

My other problem is I bought a cheapy mini Turnigy T5180MG servo which is meant to have 180 degree movement but after connecting it all up it just has the standard movement. Have I got something set up wrong or is it faulty?
Old 01-12-2017, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andyk View Post
Two quick questions.

I'm in the process of making a bait boat for fishing. To help with keeping it balanced I'd like to use two batteries. Would this be be possible as long as the voltage didn't over load the esc? I'm sure I've seen a "Y" style deans connector.

My other problem is I bought a cheapy mini Turnigy T5180MG servo which is meant to have 180 degree movement but after connecting it all up it just has the standard movement. Have I got something set up wrong or is it faulty?
You can run two batteries in parallel which just increases the capacity while maintaining the original voltage. I can't find a Dean's style version but this is a Traxxas parallel adapter. If you wire three Dean's plugs in the same fashion it'll work the same.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas-parallel-battery-wire-harness-traxxas-id-tra3064x/p481059

And for the servo, make sure your end points are set to their highest value
Old 01-12-2017, 02:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok thanks, just got to find some suitable batteries now.

How do I adjust the end points on the servo??
Old 01-12-2017, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Ok thanks, just got to find some suitable batteries now.

How do I adjust the end points on the servo??
That's usually done through your radio. I'd check the manual for it and see if that is an option. And also make sure the steering trim is centered
Old 01-13-2017, 03:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by EbbTide View Post
That's usually done through your radio. I'd check the manual for it and see if that is an option. And also make sure the steering trim is centered
Doesn't look like it is an option..... Any other ideas?
Old 01-13-2017, 03:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What radio do you have?
Old 01-13-2017, 06:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Rizen View Post
What radio do you have?
It's a Flysky FS-GT2B. Couldn't see anything obvious in the manual
Old 01-13-2017, 07:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok, if I'm not mistaken, looking at the knobs/lights/switch panel. Directly above the power switch in the middle should be 3 knobs that are larger.

Closest to the power switch I believe should be the one, with the battery plugged in, turn on the radio and then car. Slowly turn the bottom knob a little bit, then test your steering. Rinse and repeat till your steering has the range needed/desired without the servo trying to turn past the physical limits of the car's steering mechanisms. (If it's not the bottom that does it, try the top, one should "align" the steering left/center/right, the other should reduce/increase the servo range of motion.)
Old 01-13-2017, 11:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Rizen View Post
Ok, if I'm not mistaken, looking at the knobs/lights/switch panel. Directly above the power switch in the middle should be 3 knobs that are larger.

Closest to the power switch I believe should be the one, with the battery plugged in, turn on the radio and then car. Slowly turn the bottom knob a little bit, then test your steering. Rinse and repeat till your steering has the range needed/desired without the servo trying to turn past the physical limits of the car's steering mechanisms. (If it's not the bottom that does it, try the top, one should "align" the steering left/center/right, the other should reduce/increase the servo range of motion.)
You're right it's the bottom knob. Turns out it's been fully turned anyway and makes no difference . I'll try messaging the seller and see if they can help. Any other bright ideas in the mean time are well received
Old 01-13-2017, 02:32 PM
Tech Initiate

You're right it's the bottom knob. Turns out it's been fully turned anyway and makes no difference . I'll try messaging the seller and see if they can help. Any other bright ideas in the mean time are well received
Usually if it's turned fully counter clockwise it's "wide open" further clockwise it's turned the narrower the degree the servo turns.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Is it possible that the servo needs to be programmed to run 180 degrees? I know for hitec servos they have a program box to make it happen but I couldn't find anything specifically for turnigy servos
Old 01-14-2017, 10:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by EbbTide View Post
Is it possible that the servo needs to be programmed to run 180 degrees? I know for hitec servos they have a program box to make it happen but I couldn't find anything specifically for turnigy servos
I would of thought if it was being sold as a servo with 180 degree movement it would do it out the box. I've emailed the seller, just waiting on a response. Will do a google search in the meantime.
Thanks for your help guys
Old 01-14-2017, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

I would of thought if it was being sold as a servo with 180 degree movement it would do it out the box. I've emailed the seller, just waiting on a response. Will do a google search in the meantime.
Thanks for your help guys
Update the thread if you find the answer so anyone looking for it in the future can benefit too Hopefully it was just a bad first servo and they'll send a replacement
Old 01-15-2017, 11:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Haven't really found the answer. My local shop is closed Sundays and the seller I got it from has only suggested what you guys have said so I've asked for a replacement. Hopefully that solves it!
Old 01-15-2017, 12:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Turns out it's down to the radio. Because the radio is designed for cars it limits the servo so it doesn't try to over turn the wheels and damage the car. I've seen a lead which allows a standard servo to rotate 180 degrees so will try that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service