Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
"Overcharging" Batteries - What can I get away with? >

"Overcharging" Batteries - What can I get away with?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Overcharging" Batteries - What can I get away with?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 09:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Default "Overcharging" Batteries - What can I get away with?

I know the rule of thumb for charging batteries is 0.001 x the number of milliamp hours. So, with a 1600 mAhr battery, you can charge it at 1.6 amps. However, this makes charging the batteries a long process.

My question is, what is the highest rate I can get away with when charging a battery? I would like to know all battery types (NiCad, NimH, Lipo, etc)

Thanks,
Old 12-04-2016, 02:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've charged 1700 mah nicads, 3000 mah nimhs and 4500 mah lipos at 10 amps with no worries.

Because of the way lipos charge, charging at higher current doesn't actually save that much time. I currently charge my 4500 lipo at 6 amps and don't notice a performance difference compared to the 10A charge.

I've heard of people charging at 20/30/40 amps for stock racing but it needs an expensive charger and seems excessive to me.

By the way, this is not really overcharging, just charging at a higher rate. Overcharging would be charging beyond the recommended voltage. More dangerous, against most rules and not a good idea.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If your battery manufacturer has a recommended charge rate greater than 1C, great. Use that rate. I currently have 3 chargers to help do the job on "heavy" RCing days, and will normally charge at a 1C rate. If I know I'm going to be running lot of packs the next day, I will charge some ahead of time.