Wiki Posts
Search

Futaba S9373SV servo issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 09:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Futaba S9373SV servo issues

Hey chaps
I recently purchased a pair of Futaba S9373SV servos and fitted them up in my new HB buggy.
I'm running them with a Dynamite lipo rx pack and Futaba R304SB receiver and 4PX.
The servos are getting extremely hot after a few minutes of running, mainly the throttle/brake servo - after a 7min heat it's so hot I can barely keep my finger on it for a few seconds.
Consequently my 2000mAh rx pack is emptied in about 25mins run time.
Also they are really noisy under small amounts of load and the splines are crazy tight to get servo arms on and off.
I have checked everything for binding and checked end points. Everything is smooth and I just can't find a reason for this to be happening

I have an identical setup in my truggy with Protek servos and it's fine...
Has anyone else experienced issues like this?
I've been running other brands of servos for years with nothing like this so I'm a bit gutted to have spent the extra money for "quality" and end up with this
Old 10-25-2016, 01:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Has anyone got any insight they could share on this?
Experiences with other Futaba surface servos?
Have been over everything and I'm starting to wonder if this is just how these servos run...
Old 07-10-2017, 01:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Check the gears
Old 07-11-2017, 04:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mrbigglesworth
Hey chaps
I recently purchased a pair of Futaba S9373SV servos and fitted them up in my new HB buggy.
I'm running them with a Dynamite lipo rx pack and Futaba R304SB receiver and 4PX.
The servos are getting extremely hot after a few minutes of running, mainly the throttle/brake servo - after a 7min heat it's so hot I can barely keep my finger on it for a few seconds.
Consequently my 2000mAh rx pack is emptied in about 25mins run time.
Also they are really noisy under small amounts of load and the splines are crazy tight to get servo arms on and off.
I have checked everything for binding and checked end points. Everything is smooth and I just can't find a reason for this to be happening

I have an identical setup in my truggy with Protek servos and it's fine...
Has anyone else experienced issues like this?
I've been running other brands of servos for years with nothing like this so I'm a bit gutted to have spent the extra money for "quality" and end up with this
I have almost the same servo but the S9372SV (plastic top case instead of metal) I have no heat problems for the time being , but I am using only one for steering in a Electric 1/8 Buggy with the Bec voltage set at 6.3 volts . I have never gone above 7.4 since the servo is way more than able to do what I want even at 6 volts. What is the output of your battery to your receiver ?
do you have something to regulate the voltage ? , I never used Lipo packs in nitro only Life packs since the voltage is lower and don't need voltage regulators. If your output is more than 7.2 volts I think your asking for trouble. These servos are a bit known to run a bit higher in temps compared to brushless servos , the specs are really good but they seem to heat a little bit.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Got some Futaba low profile servos in a 200mm tourer (Sbus digital ones haven't got the number here).

I opened them up and replaced the wires as they became a bit average after a fair bit of use.

When I fired it all back up the servos were very tight to operate. Turns out the screws that hold them together can't be too tight, it just caused a lot of binding.

Don't think I've really had to be that careful doing them back up but these really can't be done up very tight.

Check to make sure the cases aren't too tight.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Double check your linkages, also swap the servos. Move throttle to steering and vice versa to see if the servo gets hot in the steering position. This will let you know if it's the servo or something else. I run the same servos and only had a hiccup when I had a bind in my steering rack.