tips to avoid reversing polarity.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tips to avoid reversing polarity.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 09:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default tips to avoid reversing polarity.

So after a small mental blank yesterday while being distracted, I managed to fry my brand new esc by putting battery poles in wrong hole and reversing polarity. Besides not being a moron, what are some easy tips you guys and girls use so this doesn't happen.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Make it so wires can only reach the designated polarity. Some will recommend plugs like deans but i find plugs/connectors to add clutter.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by trigger
Make it so wires can only reach the designated polarity. Some will recommend plugs like deans but i find plugs/connectors to add clutter.
I'm running batteries (venom lipos) where the poles into the actual battery can be removed. to change the battery on one of my cars (mst fxxd) I have to remove the poles from the battery. it was the actual poles to battery I reversed the polarity to/from.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It might sound pretty obvious but make it a habit of really taken a good look at your battery before plugging in the connectors..I also learned the hardway burning up a RX8... you can also mark your positive connector with some tape or some red paint or fingernail polish...a little visual reminder always helps..
Old 09-23-2016, 10:49 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Its not easy to tell but if you look closely you can see that the NEG wire physically cannot reach the POS hole in the battery. As long as the poles are
all on the same side on your batterys its simple to wire them up this way.

Last edited by JsK; 09-24-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rannblod
It might sound pretty obvious but make it a habit of really taken a good look at your battery before plugging in the connectors..I also learned the hardway burning up a RX8... you can also mark your positive connector with some tape or some red paint or fingernail polish...a little visual reminder always helps..
Marking the holes on the battery is the way I'm going to go for a beginning.
I remember having a good look at the battery before inserting poles. I think I spun the car though before I put the poles in. Expensive lesson learnt.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:42 AM
Tech Regular

3M or Uline makes a new red metallic tape. I use a small square in the top of the battery at the + side. I think I bought it at Walmart in the craft isle.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2310861...&ul_noapp=true
Old 09-25-2016, 08:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I do the same as the other gentlemen on here. I cut the wires to only reach the correct terminal on the battery. I also use nail polish to clearly mark the positive and negative terminals on the battery.

Also, if you'd like switch ESC. Some brands have reverse polarity protection. I know hobbywing has this safety function. Built in.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Daniel.Cost
I do the same as the other gentlemen on here. I cut the wires to only reach the correct terminal on the battery. I also use nail polish to clearly mark the positive and negative terminals on the battery.

Also, if you'd like switch ESC. Some brands have reverse polarity protection. I know hobbywing has this safety function. Built in.
I have not seen any HobbyWing ESCs with reverse battery protection. The same goes for all other brands that have undergone ROAR timing testing.

Last edited by howardcano; 09-25-2016 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Paint red around the pos terminal of the the pack and use red cable for pos lead from ESC not just a small amount of heatshrink to make it as obvious as possible