Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Budget Radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 10:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just ordered a Futaba 3PV from Tower, I'll do a comparison of the MX-V vs. the 3PV in a week or so. Battle of the $100 entry-level radios!
Old 09-19-2016, 06:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tsair
I just ordered a Futaba 3PV from Tower, I'll do a comparison of the MX-V vs. the 3PV in a week or so. Battle of the $100 entry-level radios!
Look forward to it, the 3pv is really nice can you confirm if the Mx- v is discontinued tho AMain said it was I believe.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipBGreen
Look forward to it, the 3pv is really nice can you confirm if the Mx- v is discontinued tho AMain said it was I believe.
All Airtronics radios are discontinued, but not the Sanwa MX-V. Airtronics is no more so Sanwa got a new US distributor.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I was looking at the 3PV but wasn't sure, as A-Main add said it was a good fast radio for racing, while another site said it was just a bashing radio.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Braxamus
I was looking at the 3PV but wasn't sure, as A-Main add said it was a good fast radio for racing, while another site said it was just a bashing radio.
I'm sure it's fine, the 3PL was good enough for 95% of people and I expect the 3PV to be at least as fast.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

at one point I had the 3pl and was told it was not fast enough by others at the track. so I went back to a older 3PK with a spektrum module in it, on loan from a friend
Old 09-21-2016, 01:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

12 y.o. kid was crushing everyone in Intermediate Stock buggy at the Jconcepts Summer Nats this year with a 3PL, I'm sure it's fine.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Heads-up MX-V vs. 3PV comparo is coming! As you can see, the 3PV is TINY!

Got my test mule all ready to go!

Old 09-22-2016, 01:22 PM
Tech Regular

tsair, I would like to get your comparison to the MTS as well. At least the feeling for speed or psychic connection to the radio if you know what I mean.

I tried going from my really old M11 to a Flysky GT3C and the GT3C had enough extra lag that I had to turn in early to hit my lines. No latency specs are available for my M11 as it was the original that you unscrewed the fishing pole and installed the DSSS module.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Anyone know the range on the Futaba 3PV in meters?

I am a speeder and only have interest in long range radios... is this one? Or what?

Must be 300meters for sure!

Does it say anything about range on manuals?

I am preplexed that most high end brands don't show the most important thing in radios on RC... RANGE... they only see tracks...but tracks are small places...

Basher's and speeder's need at least +300meters range...

I kept reading the cheap Kyosho Kt201 is a 500meter range...which is what i got for several years...but i run out of memory models...

-It could be cheap but it served me well and receivers are 25bucks or less :P
Old 09-22-2016, 03:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by targetingxmod
Anyone know the range on the Futaba 3PV in meters?

I am a speeder and only have interest in long range radios... is this one? Or what?

Must be 300meters for sure!

Does it say anything about range on manuals?

I am preplexed that most high end brands don't show the most important thing in radios on RC... RANGE... they only see tracks...but tracks are small places...

Basher's and speeder's need at least +300meters range...

I kept reading the cheap Kyosho Kt201 is a 500meter range...which is what i got for several years...but i run out of memory models...

-It could be cheap but it served me well and receivers are 25bucks or less :P
Can't comment myself on the 3pv but big squid reported long range, really long.

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/futaba-3pv...system-review/
Old 09-22-2016, 03:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default 3pv or ts4g

Anyone try both 3pv and ts4g? What's telemetry do exactly? Display voltage motor temp? Do they both show on display the lipo voltage from the car lipo thanks

Last edited by amospetrie; 09-22-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by amospetrie
Anyone try both 3pv and ts4g? What's telemetry do exactly? Display voltage motor temp? Do they both show on display the lipo voltage from the car lipo thanks
The 3PV/T3PV with the telemetry receiver gives you receiver voltage, which is not very useful for electric vehicles, but useful for nitro.

You can also add a $50 external voltage meter for your battery so that you can check battery voltage which would be super-useful for your electric vehicles. I have something similar on my Sanwa MT-S/MT-4S.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Eddie_E
tsair, I would like to get your comparison to the MTS as well. At least the feeling for speed or psychic connection to the radio if you know what I mean.

I tried going from my really old M11 to a Flysky GT3C and the GT3C had enough extra lag that I had to turn in early to hit my lines. No latency specs are available for my M11 as it was the original that you unscrewed the fishing pole and installed the DSSS module.
I'm going to try to throw the GT-3C in the comparison test also. Even though I'm 99% sure I'm going to hate it, it will be interesting to see my friend's opinion on it vs. the 3PV/MX-V.

I got a chance to run the MX-V and 3PV back-to-back today in the Slash for a battery each, I need to do some more driving to get a firm opinion, but I have some initial thoughts. It's really interesting to drive the same car back to back with different radios, because then you can notice the small differences.

I will probably compare the 3PV vs. MT-S or MT-4S in terms of response also because I'm also curious. Subjectively, the MT-S/MT-4S feels faster to me than the MX-V.

It's funny, I was at the track today with 3 radios sitting at my pit table and people are coming by asking me "why do you have so many remotes"? Another guy asked me why I had two receivers in my car, lol. The owner also came by and was talking about radios to a customer and came upon my stash and was all happy and grabbed them all and showing him the differences and letting him try them out. It felt like those golf stores with an indoor driving range and you can grab different clubs and test them to see which one you liked best!
Old 09-22-2016, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

i like my mts, its pretty quick on the high response modes if your servos can handle it. I got mine from japan with two rx481s for 160us which is pretty good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.