Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SCT Died. Help Troubleshoot.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 11:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default SCT Died. Help Troubleshoot. FOLLOW UP.

Ok, background is my son took his 22SCT RTC to his moms. He ran the battery down. I've told him a bunch of times to turn it off as soon as it slows down. But I wasn't there so I don't know for sure how long he ran it. When I got the old battery it was below 3.3v but well above 3.0 (I forget the exact voltage).
Put in a fully charged battery and it won't run. He brings it back to me and I begin to troubleshoot.

What it is:
22SCT RTC bone stock.
TX - Spektrum DX2L
RX - Spektrum SR3520
ESC -Dynamite DYNP1001

What it does.
I turn on the TX and then the ESC. Front wheels jerk once. RX light flashes one time. That's it. TX has solid red light indicating bind is there, but it doesn't respond to throttle or steering at all. I've tried re-binding it...no change.
Everything appears solid physically: no loose connections, broken solder joints, etc.

Verified:
TX batteries at 5.4v.
8.4v to the ESC lugs.
6.0v from the brown and red wires from ESC to the RX THR wiring.

I think that means I've got good power to the ESC and good power to the RX. Is that correct?

SO...I'm all ears. What do you all think is going on? Am I missing something obvious?

I don't have any spares to swap out parts right now. If I can't figure it out I'll take to the local track for their advice.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by twinrider1; 07-18-2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:24 PM
Tech Master

Try the one touch calibration on your ESC on SCT manual. Battery charged fully. If ran to low ESC probably lost its memory.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

try removing the servo from the receiver. i had a servo fry, and the rest of the esc would not go through its steps.

also, check if the throttle trim was changed. i also have a truck that the throttle trim caused it to not go until i had it set right
Old 07-02-2016, 06:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys. Looks like it was the receiver. Took it to the local track and a guy had a spare receiver. We swapped it in and everything worked again. Spektrum has a 2-channel RX for $30 that I'll pick up locally. Not sure why the stock RX was 3-channel.
I'll still try your ideas on the old receiver, just in case.
Have to say, 99% of the RC people I've met at tracks have been super nice.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:57 AM
Tech Initiate

FOLLOW UP:

Someone told me good things about Horizon Hobby so I mailed in my RX. They tested it and said it works fine. They mailed it back and sure enough, the thing works fine now. I could definitely understand if I just screwed up when I was trying to re-bind it, but an experienced racer checked it out and thought the RX was dead too. Weird, but I'm glad to have it up and running.