Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Noob to electric needs help >

Noob to electric needs help

Noob to electric needs help

Old 04-02-2016, 07:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Noob to electric needs help

Hey everyone, I'm running a Losi rtr 8ight 2.0 Nitro. I've been holding off on converting to electric due to lack of knowledge. Well I'm finally digging in and getting a little overwhelmed.

I am not a club racer, I do run on a local track usually once a week.

I have been researching online and from what I can figure out a 150a esc with a 2000kv ~ 2200kv motor on a 4s lipo would be a good setup.

Could I get away with a 120a?

I don't know the difference and how this all goes together.

I want to be around $300 batteries included.

I was set to go with a Xerun 150a esc but they appear to be discontinued or out of stock anywhere I look.

I looked at Turnigy Trackstar 150a and that looks like it would work as well. They also have a Turnigy 2100kv sensored motor i was going to pair with it.

I'm just looking for opinions and options. If my price point is unrealistic then I will adjust accordingly. I don't need the best of the best. I just need something reliable so I can enjoy the hobby.

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:55 PM
dtr
Tech Master

I have run a 120A trackstar sct in a converted 8ight 2.0 EU and had no problems. The Some really like the 150A trackstar gen2 so that could be a good one.
For motor I suggest the 1900kv red can or the SMC motor; the trackstar is a bit cheaper but I prefer the solder posts of the SMC.
A pair of these batteries will fit within your budget, they are quite decent and if you have a good charger you can just drive, swap batteries between car and charger and continue.
The Losi conversion kit will accomodate bigger lipos if you want higher single-pack runtime but those are more expensive.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the response.
I did get the 150a esc. I also got the 2100 red can I couldn't find the 1900 in stock. Will that be a problem?

Unless my understanding of the batteries is wrong won't those batteries only have a 100a output since they are 5000mah 20c? That wouldn't be enough for the 150a esc.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:37 AM
dtr
Tech Master

I have not yet tried the 2100, probably you'll just need a tooth or two lower pinion.
If you tune the esc for
Those betteries will be adequate if you set the esc to relatively low perfomance settings, no drag brake and low punch. When you feel you need more try SMC 6500/6700 packs, those are a bit heavier but give anything that the motor wants.