Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Tekin Pro4 4600KV problems.. >

Tekin Pro4 4600KV problems..

Tekin Pro4 4600KV problems..

Old 03-26-2016, 07:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tekin Pro4 4600KV problems..

I run a Tekin Pro4 4600KV, with a RX8 Gen2, 14t pinion, in a Tekno SCT410.3 short course truck.

When I turn the ESC on, it powers up, and then beeps again that it is armed and ready to go.

When I try to hit the gas and go. The motor makes a squealing noise, and sounds as if it is binded up. The motor cannot even turn my wheels, the motor shaft rotates freely by hand without any strange noises, or grinding.

It is heating up very quickly! Loud squealing noise, and it can't spin, just shakes back and forward like its trying to.

And it does rotate smoothly by hand.

I disassembled it, cleaned bearing, and dust, dirt etc. Etc. Everything looks normal. I removed the rotor, it looks really good. But I'm no expert. One of the bearings wouldn't spin so I disassembled it and oiled it now it's spinning OK, although this motor is really messed up.

Any ideas? I'd like to try and rebuild it. I bought this motor used so im not sure how much run time it has had.

I received it in well used condition, then I ran about 40 or 50 or even 60 or more packs through it. Never been over 110F or 115F temps, well since I've had it atleast lol.

If it's to expensive to fix, I may just pick up another exactly like it but new.

Last edited by tps3443; 03-26-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Try re-calibration of ESC. Endplay of rotor excessive. If you disassemble motor, did you install any shims that came out.

I ESC heats up quickly, I probably needs calibration.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Are your motor to esc leads connected properly, the correct order?
Old 03-26-2016, 08:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

you have your wires reversed...
abc motor to abc esc is what it should be.
You most likely have abc to cba...
Old 03-27-2016, 09:38 AM
Tech Adept

No reversed wires. I drove the car earlier yesterday and it was perfect, the wiring configuration was the same. Then after coming inside for a couple hours, I was going to go drive it again. When I turned it on, this problem occurs.

I did unsolder, and resolver. With no luck. Orientation is correct on the wires.

I only removed the bottom part of the can, to remove the rotor. No washers were removed .

With the wiring correct, I'm worried that my RX8 Gen 2 has lost a phase. Or worse. The RX8 Gen2 seems to work fine though. But it is under warranty. It's only 2 or 3 weeks old now.

Last edited by tps3443; 03-27-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Since Brushless came out with Tekins , Tekins R1 series. I came to this Tekins Brushless From R1 series to RX8, when changing motor or disassembling. Motor makes noise and doesn't run, It'll run if you help push It by hand. ESC heat up quickly, like its working constantly. I think its cogging, its what we call it.

When you change motor or disassemble motor, motor looses it home position with you throttle or trigger. You must have to recalibrate the ESC.

What I post earlier Try recalibrate your ESC.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 227 (100%+)

Wouldn't hurt to try another sensor wire. These fail once in a while.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:46 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tps3443 View Post
I run a Tekin Pro4 4600KV, with a RX8 Gen2, 14t pinion, in a Tekno SCT410.3 short course truck.

When I turn the ESC on, it powers up, and then beeps again that it is armed and ready to go.

When I try to hit the gas and go. The motor makes a squealing noise, and sounds as if it is binded up. The motor cannot even turn my wheels, the motor shaft rotates freely by hand without any strange noises, or grinding.

It is heating up very quickly! Loud squealing noise, and it can't spin, just shakes back and forward like its trying to.

And it does rotate smoothly by hand.

I disassembled it, cleaned bearing, and dust, dirt etc. Etc. Everything looks normal. I removed the rotor, it looks really good. But I'm no expert. One of the bearings wouldn't spin so I disassembled it and oiled it now it's spinning OK, although this motor is really messed up.

Any ideas? I'd like to try and rebuild it. I bought this motor used so im not sure how much run time it has had.

I received it in well used condition, then I ran about 40 or 50 or even 60 or more packs through it. Never been over 110F or 115F temps, well since I've had it atleast lol.

If it's to expensive to fix, I may just pick up another exactly like it but new.
This sounds like possibly a bad sensor board. You should use your Rx8 Gen3's sensor checker feature to determine if the esc is receiving the sensor signals.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:39 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
This sounds like possibly a bad sensor board. You should use your Rx8 Gen3's sensor checker feature to determine if the esc is receiving the sensor signals.
I got everything working as if there was never a problem lol. I soldered and de soldered to many times to even think about. Triple checked wiring order.

I hooked a plane motor to my rx8 Gen2 to test it for problems. It worked great. Then I hooked up the Pro4 again about the 7th or 8th time and, it works .