Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 08:20 PM
Tech Adept

Mine doesn't even do that lol
Old 10-20-2016, 09:10 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Double D 99
I've been watching this radio dw6r for a while . The track i race at has outlaw this one radio from our spec classes. He say your able to cheat with this radio in spec class because you can switch out of blinky mode before the race and switch back to blinky after the race before tech. Can you really do this, I'm not sure. Still interested purchacing one for next race season
Yeah that is BS. If your ESC can be reprogrammed through BT or wifi you can do this with your phone or tablet. A buggy can reprogram your stuff before or after the race. Most clubs doing check blinky anyway and it is honors. Really dumb reason not allow the radio. Also if you need to go to that length to win a club race and you are caught the racers would revolt and kick you out. I know the places I race would not sit well with that type of activity.

Originally Posted by Mopar
Hey Ryan, what ever happened to the weights that the radio was going to come with?
I am not sure but I have used some other brass weights I had and stuffed them in the base. I used the battery spacer foams to hold them in place to not rattle around. Works great. I am sure Ryan still has plans for the weights.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
I am not sure but I have used some other brass weights I had and stuffed them in the base. I used the battery spacer foams to hold them in place to not rattle around. Works great. I am sure Ryan still has plans for the weights.
how much weight did u end up using to balance out the radio?
Old 10-20-2016, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Double D 99
I've been watching this radio dw6r for a while . The track i race at has outlaw this one radio from our spec classes. He say your able to cheat with this radio in spec class because you can switch out of blinky mode before the race and switch back to blinky after the race before tech. Can you really do this, I'm not sure. Still interested purchacing one for next race season
Originally Posted by Casper
Yeah that is BS. If your ESC can be reprogrammed through BT or wifi you can do this with your phone or tablet. A buggy can reprogram your stuff before or after the race. Most clubs doing check blinky anyway and it is honors. Really dumb reason not allow the radio. Also if you need to go to that length to win a club race and you are caught the racers would revolt and kick you out. I know the places I race would not sit well with that type of activity.
And if they are that worried about it, tell them to check your car for the BT/Wifi module before and after the race. Pretty ridiculous. You must be really good to get that level of scrutiny
Old 10-20-2016, 09:57 PM
Tech Adept

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard lol
Old 10-20-2016, 10:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by LVNeptune
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard lol
give it time. its not even the weekend yet. I'm sure there will be more dumb things posted. its the internet.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by hacker07
I try my best to stay out of the forums at times but I like to be here to help when I can. It just has become such a negative experience with any product release in pretty much any forum for any product. The entire team worked very hard on this product and while it is not perfect, it is an amazing radio and works awesome.

To get to some of what was brought up over the last few pages here...
Scroll wheel - nope, no function at this time. It is for future functionality and we are working on it at this time.
Screen on/off - not sure at all where or why this has become such a big deal for people to figure out but not something we ever worried about. The radio comes with the ability to keep it always charged with the cradle. Yes, the cradle is not perfect but works well and also you can plug directly into the upper usb to charge as well if concerned about your cradle. We have had the radio on outside in 100 plus weather from 100% to dead, no issues with heat at all.
RF light - if its on, it is transmitting. It is 2.4 so that is not an issue. If you leave wifi on, it will tend to keep RF on. Wifi will eat battery life.
Ryan first and foremost I appreciate your efforts out here. I have been silent and not have not made comments recently.

This product has too many flaws. Now does this mean I am going to leave spectrum products, no it does not. I also have Air(JR 9503s) as well. I never like the spectrum air radio menus as it looked like a 5 year old laid them out. But I plan on staying with this equipment for now.

Being in the software industry myself, I do have a great tolerance of “software” issues. But that is not the big issues here.

I purchased a DX4R early on as well. I never had to update the firmware and there have been ZERO issues with this transmitter in my usage.

Issues still not resolved.

1) Battery issue charging-cradle. In my last race there was a lot of wind. So the trailer was rocking some. If you put the screen to sleep it should not turn back on until you press the button. It should not turn back on just because the radio rocked in the cradle. You should not have end the raceware app or jump thru any other hoops. Press the sleep button and place in cradle, and the #$@%$ screen should not turn back on.
2) Battery, size-capacity. There is no reason there is not a larger battery in this transmitter. Or an cover that can be removed without screws. For easy replacement of battery. Just like any other normal transmitter.
3) Poor wifi performance. I am not convinced just moving the antenna to a different location will fix my issue.
4) Screen does not always respond when touched, very time consuming to set subtrims/endpoints.

Notice, I have not even mentioned the software issues here, in some ways it is preferences of each individual user.

Ryan your fighting an uphill battle here. If was not for the ergonomics of this transmitter was not to my liking, I would have given up on it.

I still feel adding the android to this product has made the issues I stated above worse.

Kevin

Last edited by ksheltontx; 10-21-2016 at 08:50 AM. Reason: grammer.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:10 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hacker07
I try my best to stay out of the forums at times but I like to be here to help when I can. It just has become such a negative experience with any product release in pretty much any forum for any product. The entire team worked very hard on this product and while it is not perfect, it is an amazing radio and works awesome.

To get to some of what was brought up over the last few pages here...
Scroll wheel - nope, no function at this time. It is for future functionality and we are working on it at this time.
Screen on/off - not sure at all where or why this has become such a big deal for people to figure out but not something we ever worried about. The radio comes with the ability to keep it always charged with the cradle. Yes, the cradle is not perfect but works well and also you can plug directly into the upper usb to charge as well if concerned about your cradle. We have had the radio on outside in 100 plus weather from 100% to dead, no issues with heat at all.
RF light - if its on, it is transmitting. It is 2.4 so that is not an issue. If you leave wifi on, it will tend to keep RF on. Wifi will eat battery life.
I totally understand the negativity coming from new product releases but some communication from Spektrum would be very nice with some of the issues.

I really don't care if the screen is on or off personally. I am going to break down my experience so far:

Week 1: Absolutely great, zero issues! With Wifi or Bluetooth off or on the radio ALWAYS transmitted (orange light).

Week 2: Upon powering up for a race my steering rate did absolutely nothing . This left a very bad taste in my mouth and screwed me up in all my heats because it was giving 150% throw and going beyond the limits for steering. Also when I turned the screen off the radio transmitter would turn off. I found out that if I turned Wifi on it would keep the transmitter on with the screen off. I found this odd because it didn't do this week 1.

Week 3: (this week) after reinstalling the Raceware app and confirming everything was up to date and still having issues someone suggested I install the DX6Serial.apk app and run the "Reset Model" function. After I did this my steering rate issues went away and it was functioning normally. If I turned wifi off the radio transmitter would still function with the screen off. I even turned airplane mode on in android settings and it still continued to transmit with the screen off or on. In fact now, as soon as I turn the transmitter on without even opening raceware it starts to transmit, if I close the app it still transmits.

It really makes no sense why people are having differing experiences with the radio continuing to transmit. At this point it's usable again and I'm happy but there definitely needs to be something looked into regarding the transmitter continuing to transmit like it does for me and at least one other person on here reporting similar issues.

Now I will say even with it continuing to transmit the charger still outputs more than enough amps to charge it while transmitting so it works but since it is continuing to transmit that could lead to a DQ as some race directors do not allow any pit transmitters to be powered up during a race (not an issue in my case) so you would have to completely shut down the transmitter and it takes anywhere from 2-3 minutes to boot back up.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:21 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ksheltontx
Ryan first and foremost I appreciate your efforts out here. I have been silent and not have not made comments recently.

This product has too many flaws. Now does this mean I am going to leave spectrum products, no it does not. I also have Air(JR 9503s) as well. I never like the spectrum air radio menus as it looked like a 5 year old laid them out. But I plan on staying with this equipment for now.

Being in the software industry myself, I do have a great tolerance of “software” issues. But that is not the big issues here.

I purchased a DX4R early on as well. I never had to update the firmware and there have been ZERO issues with this transmitter in my usage.

Issues still not resolved.

1) Battery issue charging-cradle. In my last race there was a lot of wind. So the trailer was rocking some. If you put the screen to sleep it should not turn back on until you press the button. It should not turn back on just because the radio rocked in the cradle. You should not have end the raceware app or jump thru any other hoops. Press the sleep button and place in cradle, and the #$@%$ screen should not turn back on.
2) Battery, size-capacity. There is no reason there is not a larger battery in this transmitter. Or an cover that can be removed without screws. For easy replacement of battery. Just like any other normal transmitter.
3) Poor wifi performance. I am not convinced just moving the antenna to a different location will fix my issue.
4) Screen does not always respond when touched, very time consuming to set subtrims/endpoints.

Notice, I have not even mentioned the software issues here, in some ways it is preferences of each individual user.

Ryan your fighting an uphill battle here. If was not for the ergonomics of this transmitter was not to my liking, I would have given up on it.

I still feel adding the android to this product has made the issues I stated above worse.

Kevin
You are software people, you should know some issues generated by Android.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:56 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wkderf
how much weight did u end up using to balance out the radio?
I don't know exactly. It was some brass I had laying around. I would estimate about 40g or so.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:02 AM
Tech Rookie

I just got back home after a solid 3 hour bashing session on the beach/dunes near me, i thought i would give the radio a really good shake down now that i have one that seems to be working ok.

I took two of my larger cars out, my Losi LST XXL-2E and my Kraken Vekta 5.

I have to say that i am really quite impressed with the radio, there are a few little things that are frustrating at times, but i suppose that is to be expected.

After 3 solid hours of both electric and gas running the battery was showing at just about 65% when i got back to the car, which i think is pretty good going. I should also mention that i ran with the screen on at all times because i was still messing about setting end points, setting trim levels and the usual stuff... plus i was keeping a close eye on the thing to check that nothing was going wrong.

The only issues i really found today were that the touch screen is not all that sensitive, so screen presses very often do not register, which is frustrating more than anything.

The end points for the Vektas steering servo reset a couple of times, then for whatever reason decided to save and no longer reset... which is an issue when you are talking about a $350 high powered steering servo. I don't mind burning out a normal sized savox or something similar, but i am a bit attached to the 5th scale stuff... haha

Overall though, i am pleased with how things went.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

That's one complaint I kept forgetting to register. The touch screen itself seems fine. Inside Race Ware the trims and adjustments when tapping don't seem to register correctly.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by LVNeptune
That's one complaint I kept forgetting to register. The touch screen itself seems fine. Inside Race Ware the trims and adjustments when tapping don't seem to register correctly.
I have also had troubles getting trim adjustments to register, and have to touch the screen several times.

perhaps the icons need to be bigger?
Old 10-21-2016, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

I prefer to just enter the number with the key board and allow the scroll wheel for fast adjustment. It was on my suggested improvements list a while back.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ksheltontx
1. The screen turns on because the connection was broken. Cut the foam like I did. Be much happier.
2. I prefer fixing the radio transmission on all the time. I think that's what's really eating the battery.
3. Can't speak on this as I haven't had an issue but I'm also not using an active wifi connection much either.
4. I consider this software. In other apps, I don't have this issue. Just hard to fine fine on the touchscreen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.