Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkl
Getting anxious. .
Any news on a release date?
Still looking at June.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:12 PM
Tech Regular

Question Hacker07, and I sure this has been asked already. The website says the radio will be DSMR, so DSM2 and DSM is out? Or will you be able to adjust the radio to work with the receivers.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:58 PM
mkl
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hacker07 or somebody else should confirm, but further in the description it does state that it is DSM2 compatible. Not DSM though, that is too old.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:02 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I believe it will be like the DX4R related to compatibility. so DSMR and DSM2
Old 04-06-2016, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JimmyG
Question Hacker07, and I sure this has been asked already. The website says the radio will be DSMR, so DSM2 and DSM is out? Or will you be able to adjust the radio to work with the receivers.
I am not sure where the DSM2 part is stated other than about the receivers it comes with. The DX6R will be a moving forward radio. It will use DSMR technology only. The reason for this is the older dsm and dsm2 are simply that, old technology. With so many items using the 2.4 band today, the older DSM and DSM2 simply cannot hold the signal really needed. This is often the reason spektrum gets a bad name in some areas as they are high 2.4 usage areas and that older technology sometimes cannot keep up. It is time to move forward with strong technology and thus DSMR only.

I know some wont like this as they have older receivers.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:59 AM
mkl
Tech Fanatic

The info i found is on the Spektrum page. If you go to the DX6R page on the Spektrum website, about 2/3 the way down under the "Overview" heading in the "Frequency-Agile DSMR Technology" bullet point-it says
"backwards compatible with DSM2 and Marine specific receivers. This means most longtime Spektrum users can continue to use the receivers they have. They'll only need to upgrade if they want frequency-agility of DSMR receiver for busy 2.4Ghz environments"
I certainly hope this is the case as I do have several DSM2 receivers in cars. The DX6R may have a different protocol, but I think I read on the DX4R thread that users were able to link with DSM2 receivers so maybe the DX6R is the same?
Old 04-06-2016, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker07
I am not sure where the DSM2 part is stated other than about the receivers it comes with. The DX6R will be a moving forward radio. It will use DSMR technology only. The reason for this is the older dsm and dsm2 are simply that, old technology. With so many items using the 2.4 band today, the older DSM and DSM2 simply cannot hold the signal really needed. This is often the reason spektrum gets a bad name in some areas as they are high 2.4 usage areas and that older technology sometimes cannot keep up. It is time to move forward with strong technology and thus DSMR only.

I know some wont like this as they have older receivers.
That would be a deal breaker for me. I have too many DSM2 rx's that work just fine where I race with my DX4R.

Originally Posted by mkl
The info i found is on the Spektrum page. If you go to the DX6R page on the Spektrum website, about 2/3 the way down under the "Overview" heading in the "Frequency-Agile DSMR Technology" bullet point-it says
"backwards compatible with DSM2 and Marine specific receivers. This means most longtime Spektrum users can continue to use the receivers they have. They'll only need to upgrade if they want frequency-agility of DSMR receiver for busy 2.4Ghz environments"
I certainly hope this is the case as I do have several DSM2 receivers in cars. The DX6R may have a different protocol, but I think I read on the DX4R thread that users were able to link with DSM2 receivers so maybe the DX6R is the same?
I hope you're right.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:52 PM
Tech Regular

I understand the position of Spektrum and why the want to move forward, but I race too many vehicles during the Winter months. Stadium racing and separate side by side monster truck racing series, switching all the vehicles (10+) to dsmr will be costly. I havent had my DX4R but 2 years.

I would love to get this radio, but at this point, I dont see it happening.

BTW, and for the record, I have never had any signal issues with dsm, dsm2 with my DX4R.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JimmyG
I understand the position of Spektrum and why the want to move forward, but I race too many vehicles during the Winter months. Stadium racing and separate side by side monster truck racing series, switching all the vehicles (10+) to dsmr will be costly. I havent had my DX4R but 2 years.

I would love to get this radio, but at this point, I dont see it happening.

BTW, and for the record, I have never had any signal issues with dsm, dsm2 with my DX4R.
Personally, I never had problems with my DSM2 either but many have in todays climates. Technology changes all around us and therefore we are required to adapt or else we end up not servicing our customer as best we can. The language on the page should be updated shortly. Not losing any control of a vehicle is our primary focus and for this DSMR is the current technology to provide this.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:34 AM
mkl
Tech Fanatic

I see where the description on the DX6R Spektrum made has been changed. It no longer says it is backwards compatible. . I understand that technology advances and we need to change with the times, but I don't need DSMR when I am bashing with my Wraith and I am alone. It would be nice if it did go back to DSM2, never had any issues with DSM2 anyway.
Heck, I can fire up my 10 year old Apple Mini and it still works with some modern apps.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:40 AM
Tech Prophet

It's not always popular to remove backwards compatibility. Its similar to when a new car uses different wheels. Sometimes you have to leave the past behind to move forward.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:37 PM
mkl
Tech Fanatic

Well, I guess I'm going to need some education when it comes to receivers that work with DSMR then.
Other than the lack of telemetry what is the difference between the SR*** receivers and the telemetry receivers? or the SR2000? Is there a functional difference? or just the number of channels?
Old 04-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Tech Prophet

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Surface/Receivers.aspx

All DSMR recivers are here.

The SR2000 I believe is the only one capable of 5.5ms response rate. The sports are lower and the different versions are 2,3,4,6 channel as well as a version with AVC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.