Wiki Posts
Search

Servo losing turn radius

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Tech Adept

Default Servo losing turn radius

Hey everyone,

I have a protek servo in my B5 and it slowly seems to lose its turning amount(radius) during the course of a race. This only started happening since I got my new radio(MT-4S). What should I be looking into? After my last race I decided to stay at the track a little longer after everyone else left to practice I had an accident and I noticed my steering locked full right with no change when turning the wheel on my radio.

thanks for any help.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I had a similar problem and it drove me nuts. I swapped out two servos. A different esc, tried different batteries and looked at all connections (not in this order) It turned out to be the servo arm. My sct turned well for three minutes and then turned worse than a dump truck. I could not even make hairpin turns. I had a good alum. One, but I guess it went bad. Why would it work for the first three minutes....then be problematic...... Weird.... It still makes no sense to me, but I changed it and no problems since the change.....
Old 06-12-2015, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Make sure you are not hitting a button on your radio while you are racing. A buddy of mine was hitting his Steering Rate button on his DX3R and slowly thru a 30 minute main ( nitro) turned it down to 45%. He did the same thing, started to replace parts left and right. Found it when he bound a new model memory.... Good luck.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:15 PM
Tech Adept

Thats what I thought it was at first Jerm13 but I've tested that theory out.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:15 PM
Tech Adept

your servo is heating up.. and your esc bec is not able to keep up the same volts as your battery falls. Try a glitch buster if that fails . Use a Bec or ubec . remove center wire on esc rx plug and that issue will be solved.

I had same issue a few years back on my sct.. and I did all above .longer arm replaced servo after servo. checked esc's bec voltage then ran a logger on my bec volts and found as battery fell below 8.00 volts so did my bec ability to hold a voltage to my servo thus making heat and loosing throw. a 20 amp bec fixed all. I run 2 fans 45mm... nd a transponder and a high tq high speed servo along with my esc..
Old 06-14-2015, 05:27 PM
Tech Adept

thanks everyone for the input. Another club racer lent me a different servo and I raced all day on it without a single issue. Time to see how amains returns are.