Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Trinity SS DQ'd from JC Stock Nationals? >

Trinity SS DQ'd from JC Stock Nationals?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trinity SS DQ'd from JC Stock Nationals?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 11:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WillS
Wasnt the comment made that it was NOT the stator that was the issue but rather the 12.67mm rotor that was?
It was many motors.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The best calipers available have an accuracy of ±0.02mm.
If the motors in question were all manufactured to the minimum legal dimension of 19.30mm and only measured too small by 0.01mm then they still could be legal given the accuracy of the measuring device.
I would like to know what the other motors measured.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:41 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gooba
So if I read this correctly this was not a ROAR sanctioned event however they were using ROAR specs that were changed AFTER the motors were approved and the specs were given out but not put in the actual rule book? Also was it mentioned anywhere that they would be following ROAR rules? because if not and I got DQed because of a ROAR spec I would argue that those rules do not apply as ROAR was not sanctioning this event.
No, you are not reading everything correctly. The minimum length rule was added with all motors currently on the list already adhering to the new rule. ie, nothing changed. All this did was align ROAR rules to the current IFMAR rule on this item.

It does not matter if ROAR Sanctioned the event or not. The people putting the event on were following ROAR Rules... to whatever extent. If you go race at your local short track, you would still have to adhere to whatever rules they are using.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:45 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by VegasHB
For comparison reasons, the thinnest condom available is almost twice as thick as the .01mm........so yep.....pretty sure anything over room temp could sway the measurement.

So the argument could be made that the motor was good but the calipers were to small.....or an ants ass hair got in the way.

Vegas, buddy, pal, many of these guys don't have experience with family planning so they can't quantify your statement. Perhaps another item, from grandma's basement.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xyzracer
I agree, thats why there are never skill based classes in motocross amateur nationals. classes are based on age and bike size and you finish where you finish.
Actually, many Amateur MX classes of all cc's are based on skill
C, B, & A. A group are essentially Pro, but in some cases not old enough to move up
Mini classes can be ranked by both age & skill
Slightly off topic though

Thanks Randy P. For the lesson
Old 05-01-2015, 12:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Actually, many Amateur MX classes of all cc's are based on skill
C, B, & A. A group are essentially Pro, but in some cases not old enough to move up
Mini classes can be ranked by both age & skill
Slightly off topic though

Thanks Randy P. For the lesson

Right.. But the novice Winner was FASTER than 5TH place A Main sportsman class.. These guys should have been forced to bump during quals..

Expert was chassis sponsored and guys who wanted to compete in that class..

Sandbaggers at its finest. I always thought Novice was for Newbies..
Old 05-01-2015, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MaricopaAgent
Right.. But the novice Winner was FASTER than 5TH place A Main sportsman class.. These guys should have been forced to bump during quals..

Expert was chassis sponsored and guys who wanted to compete in that class..

Sandbaggers at its finest. I always thought Novice was for Newbies..
Rules, legal this legal that, measured with a yard stick, blah blah..I get the importance of the discussion...I just don't really care.

As far as the post I quoted. I didn't follow this race so excuse me...So there was Novice (newbies/kids) Sportsman (average club guys, like myself) and Expert (full factory drivers, or those who wished to race with them) correct?

You're telling me the Novice (newbie) winner would have placed 5th in the A for Sportsman (average club level guy)?? IF that's actually the case. The RD should be ashamed of himself for letting it happen and that driver should feel like a steaming pile of dog crap for being such a sandbagging piece of dung!

Again, I don't know the whole story and I'm commenting based only on your post.

rant over
Old 05-01-2015, 01:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
Rules, legal this legal that, measured with a yard stick, blah blah..I get the importance of the discussion...I just don't really care.

As far as the post I quoted. I didn't follow this race so excuse me...So there was Novice (newbies/kids) Sportsman (average club guys, like myself) and Expert (full factory drivers, or those who wished to race with them) correct?

You're telling me the Novice (newbie) winner would have placed 5th in the A for Sportsman (average club level guy)?? IF that's actually the case. The RD should be ashamed of himself for letting it happen and that driver should feel like a steaming pile of dog crap for being such a sandbagging piece of dung!

Again, I don't know the whole story and I'm commenting based only on your post.

rant over
Yes some of the Novice Drivers maybe should have been in sportsman and some sportsman should have been in novice. I know of one person that dropped to Novice because he was totally out of his league at this type of event.

The A-Main Novice did turn 29/10:18 and the 5th place Expert turned 29/10:18. I was there and if you didn't crash you would be TQ or near. It was a very technical track with a couple of blind spots.

Besides the "one" Novice A-Main winner the other Novice drivers were in line and completely 2-3 laps slower.

Thats what makes this thread and the motor DQ silly. Motors really did not change the outcome of this race. I even geared my motor down (2 teeth on the pinion) so I could come out of the turns quicker and make the jumps which had short ramp-ups. Speed was not your friend on this track. The only place you could use your speed was the straight and it was only 50ft maybe. By the time you got up to speed you were backing off. Unless someone crashed no one passed anyone on the straights. The rest of the track you were staying under control and making clean turns and good clean jumps.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Here's an idea to prevent the inevitable "over lapping" at big races when offering "talent" classes. Everyone runs the same qualifiers, do resorts as usual. Then, come main time, divide everyone into thirds. Top 33% are Expert, middle 33% are Sportsman, and bottom 33% are Novice. You qualify into one of those classes then set the mains directly from those qualifiers. Your buddy who you beat by one spot may be TQ in Sportsman but be happy you out qualified him and made Expert. Just a thought.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:22 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CHIZZLE
Here's an idea to prevent the inevitable "over lapping" at big races when offering "talent" classes. Everyone runs the same qualifiers, do resorts as usual. Then, come main time, divide everyone into thirds. Top 33% are Expert, middle 33% are Sportsman, and bottom 33% are Novice. You qualify into one of those classes then set the mains directly from those qualifiers. Your buddy who you beat by one spot may be TQ in Sportsman but be happy you out qualified him and made Expert. Just a thought.
Here we have it folks...spread around in this cesspool of a thread are nuggets of gold. Now we can only hope that the people who make the choices at the top listen to this...
Old 05-01-2015, 02:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mudcat981
Yes some of the Novice Drivers maybe should have been in sportsman and some sportsman should have been in novice. I know of one person that dropped to Novice because he was totally out of his league at this type of event.

The A-Main Novice did turn 29/10:18 and the 5th place Expert turned 29/10:18. I was there and if you didn't crash you would be TQ or near. It was a very technical track with a couple of blind spots.

Besides the "one" Novice A-Main winner the other Novice drivers were in line and completely 2-3 laps slower.

Thats what makes this thread and the motor DQ silly. Motors really did not change the outcome of this race. I even geared my motor down (2 teeth on the pinion) so I could come out of the turns quicker and make the jumps which had short ramp-ups. Speed was not your friend on this track. The only place you could use your speed was the straight and it was only 50ft maybe. By the time you got up to speed you were backing off. Unless someone crashed no one passed anyone on the straights. The rest of the track you were staying under control and making clean turns and good clean jumps.
Not sure about 2-3 laps slower.. Than Sportsman, maybe.. But they ALL were turning consistant 21-22 second lap times. That's NOT novice..

Chizzle is correct.. Would eliminate SandBaggers..
Old 05-01-2015, 02:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MaricopaAgent
Not sure about 2-3 laps slower.. Than Sportsman, maybe.. But they ALL were turning consistant 21-22 second lap times. That's NOT novice..

Chizzle is correct.. Would eliminate SandBaggers..
Check the results:

http://www.liverc.com/news/race_resu...RC_Stock_Nats/

Sportsman avg lap was 19-20, turning 29 laps.
Novice avg lap was 21+, turning 27 laps (excluding the 1st place)
Old 05-01-2015, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

before this derails into another ban stock argument was the d4 ss approved by ROAR prior to the rule change? If so a motor with a manufacture date prior to said change would not be subject to the rules. Personally I would like to see the official statement from murffdogg,or the track and perhaps even trinity
Old 05-01-2015, 03:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by gooba
before this derails into another ban stock argument was the d4 ss approved by ROAR prior to the rule change? If so a motor with a manufacture date prior to said change would not be subject to the rules. Personally I would like to see the official statement from murffdogg,or the track and perhaps even trinity
Why ban stock? Then there would be nothing to argue about and create strings with 100+ pages of the same old stuff

Yes the motors were approved and yes I agree they should not have been subject to the rule change. But according to ROAR this rule change has no bearing because even though not written all motors were still subject to the 19.3 min and all previously approved motors had already met this standard.

But again if you see the ROAR Administrators comments, ROAR would not have DQ the motor for a slight imperfection since the rest of the stator was intact and there was no intent on modifying the motor (common sense).

There were however other motors with oversize stators, modified stators, etc. As I said before the fast motors were not key in this race and no one was jumping double doubles in one jump, or even making triples. Even the step-up double was dangerous if you tried to make a big jump, because you would miss the next 270* turn. The advantage went to high torque, low rpm motors.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orangutanracer
The best calipers available have an accuracy of ±0.02mm.
If the motors in question were all manufactured to the minimum legal dimension of 19.30mm and only measured too small by 0.01mm then they still could be legal given the accuracy of the measuring device.
I would like to know what the other motors measured.
No Caliper is accurate because of the ability to push the jaws together with force.Regardless of what the manufacturer claims.Especially digital ones.No I was not at the race but have enjoyed reading this thread.Measuring .0004 tenths with a caliper is funny,most of you have calipers squeeze em and tell what you get???Nice reading!!Cheers!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.