Wiki Posts
Search

3pm-x upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 05:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 3pm-x upgrade?

what would be the next logical step in radio equipment after using a 3pm-x for a few years? nothing wrong with it, still works, i dont feel as ive outgrown it but im curious if 3pm-x users changed over to a different handset/brand and if it made a difference vs using the 3pm-x

not really for extra features, and a bigger screen, more about "feel", as im just wondering if a new radio would be worth the expenses

yet again, really just looking for opinions from 3pm-x users and former owners...
Old 04-13-2015, 02:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I just upgraded from a 3PM-X to a 4PKS-R last week. I bought the 3PM-X used 3 1/2 years ago, and have used it since. Before I bought the 4PKS-R, I ran a battery pack through my car (B5RM 17.5 blinky) with the 3PM-X, and then I used my son's 4PKS-R for a battery pack. I immediately dropped my fastest lap from 21.9 to to 21.6. More importantly, I was able to run back to back consistent laps which I was never able to do in the past. I bought the 4PKS-R, and I raced yesterday for the first time with it. This was only the second time I used the radio. I went from 13 laps to 14 laps (which I had never done before), and I was only 4 seconds from 15 laps (5 minute) heats. The steering is much more smooth and precise as is the throttle. There car no longer does "unexpected" things. I had always told my sons that a radio is a radio. the only difference being more adjustments and a fancier display;obviously I was proven wrong. You will not regret upgrading to a 4PKS-R or the 4PX. I do think it is important that you use the newer intended receivers with them.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I was in the same boat and made a similiar jump as 1mrdad. Went from a 3PM to 4PKS and never looked back. Consistency went up and the menus were light years ahead of the 3PM setup. Been using it for a few years now and just am starting to think about picking up another one for my wife (she uses my hand-me-down 3PM)
Old 04-15-2015, 05:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

thanks so much for the responses, ive really been on the fence, as it seems radios have been coming out faster than kits, so to justify the expense vs benifits has been really hard, i just dred that feeling i just shelled out to be disappointed that is "just another radio"

just to throw it out there, i have a hpi rtr radio from something i parted out, i run it in my stadium truck, and i like it better than the 3pm due to it just being simple, set the trim, the epa, and thats it, it really feels nice, i run a tekin rsx and a decent savox servo... but.. i had a radio from my jq rtr that was just junk, threw the 3pm in it and made a world of difference in dialing it in

im so old school, fm was being a big shot... airtronics had the first radio with the lcd and that was just baller

id love to stay futaba, as i got a ton of the frsky receivers in my gear which lets me run hv servos in all my nitros without regulators but im open to others, id love to know what the mx4 is like vs the 3pm as its the same range of radio it seems... regardless, still not sold, but i get it,