Wiki Posts
Search

Hobbywing SCT Pro & Tekin Pro 4 strange starts

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 08:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hobbywing SCT Pro & Tekin Pro 4 strange starts

Got the ESC new and the motor from a form member and have it installed in my Traxxas Slash 4x4. Every time I turn on the ESC it acts like it hunts for the sensor for a few seconds. The motor cogs for a couple feet and the ESC flashes a red light. After a few seconds of this the ESC will start flashing green and red and it will work perfectly until you turn the ESC off again. It almost acts like it has to find the position of the motor with the sensor or something every time on startup. It's not really a big deal but it's a bit annoying especially when you are trying to get your truck to the start line for a race and you have to wait for it to figure itself out for a few seconds before you can drive it. Is this normal behavior or is there something wrong with the ESC or the motor? I was thinking about trying a different sensor cable but I would have to order one as my local hobby shop is out of stock.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The rules of thumb for cogging/sensor issues is to always try a new sensor wire first.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Hopefully it's just the sensor cable. Flashing red and green means the ESC is/was in sensored mode, detected an abnormal sensor signal and went into sensorless mode.

In the mean time, if you have to run, just remove the sensor cable. Sounds like your setup runs OK in sensorless mode. Granted it's not ideal, but would save you all the hassles when racing. The ESC will just startup in sensorless mode.

Worst case is there's something wrong with the sensor board in the motor or the sensor circuitry in the ESC. Hopefully the person who sold it didn't sell it without disclosing this problem. I fried the sensor circuitry on a Hobbywing ESC by having a damaged sensor cable that I think shorted out the circuitry. Works fine sensorless.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GerryH
Hopefully it's just the sensor cable. Flashing red and green means the ESC is/was in sensored mode, detected an abnormal sensor signal and went into sensorless mode.

In the mean time, if you have to run, just remove the sensor cable. Sounds like your setup runs OK in sensorless mode. Granted it's not ideal, but would save you all the hassles when racing. The ESC will just startup in sensorless mode.

Worst case is there's something wrong with the sensor board in the motor or the sensor circuitry in the ESC. Hopefully the person who sold it didn't sell it without disclosing this problem. I fried the sensor circuitry on a Hobbywing ESC by having a damaged sensor cable that I think shorted out the circuitry. Works fine sensorless.
Interesting that's good info. It does run fine in this mode and doesn't cog at all. I will definitely be getting a new sensor wire I just haven't made it to the track yet to buy one. Darn work! I would assume you can replace the sensor board on the pro 4 correct? I do have a second HW SCT pro new in the box that I could test but I really don't want to open it as I haven't decided if I am going to send it back or not yet.