R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   Deans vs Bullet connectors (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/850086-deans-vs-bullet-connectors.html)

Zhangesh 12-02-2014 01:25 PM

Deans vs Bullet connectors

Hi all, I am currently using deans plugs on all my equipment and am considering a switch to bullets. Rationale being slight weight saving, cleaner wiring jobs. I run 17.5/13.5 TC, may be looking to modified in the future.

I see all the top runners using bullets, and this is why I am considering the switch also.

However I have read from Danny@SMC that inboard packs have higher IR ratings and lower voltages?

Considering the expense and effort required to switch all my gear to bullets... This seems like a step backwards to me.

Can someone explain to me why bullets are so popular over deans if they aren't as good performance wise?

Race19s 12-02-2014 01:45 PM

There are less breaks in the wire. The bullet female bullet is part of the pack and the male is the only solder joint between speedo and battery. As far as low IR ratings and voltage I call BS. My packs charge out to 4.2V per cell, every time, and most have an IR of less than 2

samnelso 12-02-2014 01:54 PM

cleaner, no balance wire, possibly lighter, possibly lower cg

wingracer 12-02-2014 02:28 PM

Years ago when I did a bunch of testing with a turbo35 all my deans packs had much better numbers than the bullet pack despite the bullet pack being a newer and better pack. I soldered some bullets right down into the pack and hardwired it. Numbers went up significantly. So now that's what I do but I'm crazy like that.

I'm sure more modern bullets are probably better but I'll keep hardwiring. Why bother with connectors when I only change packs every year or so?

Odin544 12-02-2014 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 13694386)
Years ago when I did a bunch of testing with a turbo35 all my deans packs had much better numbers than the bullet pack despite the bullet pack being a newer and better pack. I soldered some bullets right down into the pack and hardwired it. Numbers went up significantly. So now that's what I do but I'm crazy like that.

I'm sure more modern bullets are probably better but I'll keep hardwiring. Why bother with connectors when I only change packs every year or so?

:confused: Please post a picture.

Juan Aveytia 12-02-2014 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Zhangesh (Post 13694254)
Hi all, I am currently using deans plugs on all my equipment and am considering a switch to bullets. Rationale being slight weight saving, cleaner wiring jobs. I run 17.5/13.5 TC, may be looking to modified in the future.

I see all the top runners using bullets, and this is why I am considering the switch also.

However I have read from Danny@SMC that inboard packs have higher IR ratings and lower voltages?

Considering the expense and effort required to switch all my gear to bullets... This seems like a step backwards to me.

Can someone explain to me why bullets are so popular over deans if they aren't as good performance wise?

You will notice no performance gain from one to another. Bullet connectors just look cleaner. Lap times will prove everything.

Zhangesh 12-02-2014 04:55 PM

Hmm seems like i should just wait till I start replacing my batteries. Thanks guys

Doug10 01-16-2019 08:33 PM

Back to life

so revisiting this....we have been only running deans packs in our sct 13.5 dirt oval applications, but this season going to 5.5t. Will the fantom 100c or smc 100c packs work ok with deans or do we need to suck it up and switch over?

DaSilva3525 01-17-2019 09:49 AM

Bullets > Deans. So much nicer

chuck_thehammer 01-18-2019 06:41 AM

a simple bump of the wall or another car.. will remove anything you do to wires and or connectors...

best TEST.... for motor/controller/battery wires and connectors.. use an infrared temp meter... any heat = loss..

back in the 'Day' each round needed a fresh battery.. now days... one battery for one car... just a quick recharge..if any.

a single round might use 800 to 1,200 mah... so a 4,000mah battery is good..

scott_0 01-19-2019 05:49 AM

I used 4mm bullets for my TLR 22T 4.0 build that I plan on racing, they are cleaner looking and less clutter imo, not sure there is an actual performance difference as said

klimbo123 01-19-2019 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Doug10 (Post 15376861)
so revisiting this....we have been only running deans packs in our sct 13.5 dirt oval applications, but this season going to 5.5t. Will the fantom 100c or smc 100c packs work ok with deans or do we need to suck it up and switch over?

we move on to something else I think it's better