Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Deans vs Bullet connectors >

Deans vs Bullet connectors

Deans vs Bullet connectors

Old 12-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Deans vs Bullet connectors

Hi all, I am currently using deans plugs on all my equipment and am considering a switch to bullets. Rationale being slight weight saving, cleaner wiring jobs. I run 17.5/13.5 TC, may be looking to modified in the future.

I see all the top runners using bullets, and this is why I am considering the switch also.

However I have read from Danny@SMC that inboard packs have higher IR ratings and lower voltages?

Considering the expense and effort required to switch all my gear to bullets... This seems like a step backwards to me.

Can someone explain to me why bullets are so popular over deans if they aren't as good performance wise?
Old 12-02-2014, 01:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

There are less breaks in the wire. The bullet female bullet is part of the pack and the male is the only solder joint between speedo and battery. As far as low IR ratings and voltage I call BS. My packs charge out to 4.2V per cell, every time, and most have an IR of less than 2
Old 12-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

cleaner, no balance wire, possibly lighter, possibly lower cg
Old 12-02-2014, 02:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Years ago when I did a bunch of testing with a turbo35 all my deans packs had much better numbers than the bullet pack despite the bullet pack being a newer and better pack. I soldered some bullets right down into the pack and hardwired it. Numbers went up significantly. So now that's what I do but I'm crazy like that.

I'm sure more modern bullets are probably better but I'll keep hardwiring. Why bother with connectors when I only change packs every year or so?
Old 12-02-2014, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Years ago when I did a bunch of testing with a turbo35 all my deans packs had much better numbers than the bullet pack despite the bullet pack being a newer and better pack. I soldered some bullets right down into the pack and hardwired it. Numbers went up significantly. So now that's what I do but I'm crazy like that.

I'm sure more modern bullets are probably better but I'll keep hardwiring. Why bother with connectors when I only change packs every year or so?
Please post a picture.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Zhangesh
Hi all, I am currently using deans plugs on all my equipment and am considering a switch to bullets. Rationale being slight weight saving, cleaner wiring jobs. I run 17.5/13.5 TC, may be looking to modified in the future.

I see all the top runners using bullets, and this is why I am considering the switch also.

However I have read from Danny@SMC that inboard packs have higher IR ratings and lower voltages?

Considering the expense and effort required to switch all my gear to bullets... This seems like a step backwards to me.

Can someone explain to me why bullets are so popular over deans if they aren't as good performance wise?
You will notice no performance gain from one to another. Bullet connectors just look cleaner. Lap times will prove everything.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Hmm seems like i should just wait till I start replacing my batteries. Thanks guys
Old 01-16-2019, 08:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Back to life

so revisiting this....we have been only running deans packs in our sct 13.5 dirt oval applications, but this season going to 5.5t. Will the fantom 100c or smc 100c packs work ok with deans or do we need to suck it up and switch over?
Old 01-17-2019, 09:49 AM
Tech Addict

Bullets > Deans. So much nicer
Old 01-18-2019, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

a simple bump of the wall or another car.. will remove anything you do to wires and or connectors...

best TEST.... for motor/controller/battery wires and connectors.. use an infrared temp meter... any heat = loss..

back in the 'Day' each round needed a fresh battery.. now days... one battery for one car... just a quick recharge..if any.

a single round might use 800 to 1,200 mah... so a 4,000mah battery is good..
Old 01-19-2019, 05:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I used 4mm bullets for my TLR 22T 4.0 build that I plan on racing, they are cleaner looking and less clutter imo, not sure there is an actual performance difference as said
Old 01-19-2019, 06:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Doug10
so revisiting this....we have been only running deans packs in our sct 13.5 dirt oval applications, but this season going to 5.5t. Will the fantom 100c or smc 100c packs work ok with deans or do we need to suck it up and switch over?
we move on to something else I think it's better