Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is one ESC better than another?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Why is one ESC better than another?

I am fairly new to electric racing, (1/10 off road) and am wanting to learn more about the electronics. Who can explain what makes an ESC good or bad, and what is say the difference between a Viper brand, and the higher dollar Team Orion options...Is the higher dollar brand, going to make you go faster? And how so?

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For one the software that controls the motor is a big factor, this would be the ESC firmware and has an impact on motor acceleration and braking.

Another is the quality and type of switching FETS used in the ESC, some have higher current rating FETS with low internal resistance than others.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by B16A2
For one the software that controls the motor is a big factor, this would be the ESC firmware and has an impact on motor acceleration and braking.

Another is the quality and type of switching FETS used in the ESC, some have higher current rating FETS with low internal resistance than others.
Thanks...
your first point...Meaning the throttle,braking etc is smoother? Easier to drive?

Your second point was like a foreign language to me...I didn't understand a thing you said about that.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

for the first parts yes as well as in booted applications the rate of acceleration, plus features in the ESC such as boost delay etc. All of it has to do with power delivery when you want it.

With the second thing I wrote think of a bottle full of water and the FETS being the bottle neck. The Higher constant current amperage of the MOSFETS would be like the wider bottle neck allowing more water to flow at a given time, this is what you want from a ESC when at full throttle it should pass the maximum amount of battery power with minimal loss to the motor.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok. Great. Thanks for the explanation. Appreciate it.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

I believe that another thing that differs low end brands from high end brands are quality control.

To test and verify each item (e.g. an ESC) takes time and costs. That you inevitably have to pay for.

When I buy LRP stuff (Flow Works Team ESC and X20 motors) there are a little card in the box stating the name of the LRP quality control employee who have verified the product I purchased. This you don't get with a Hobbyking esc or motor.

When you buy a cheap esc, you are to expect a higher rate of failure, esc's that doesn't work out of the box or only work for a short time.

If you buy a high end ESC, you don't expect it to fail.

High end ESC's are more often used in professional competitive environments where you can not have an ESC (or any other component) fail during operation (e.g. a race).

And if you produce high end electronics that customers expect to last longer and be less prone to fails, you probably also tend to use better materials and processes to achieve this level.

Not much sense in producing lower quality products just to discard them all in a rigorous quality control process afterwards.

But the RC world are full of examples of brands that have struck a good balance between cheap products with a reasonable level of quality to satisfy the hobby level consumer, like Hobbyking.

I used to buy Hobbyking motors and ESC's for my 1/8 electric buggies. I was very happy. Sometimes they lasted a long time, sometimes they just died without a cause. I didn't care, they were very cheap, I just bought a new one.

When I began to race buggies, I ended up buying a higher end brand to eliminate some of the "sudden deaths", not to say that it can not happen with a high end brand, just that you expect it not to do so.

Lastly, high end brands, like LRP, have race experience with their (high end) products, have teams that races professionally and uses their products. Software and hardware are developed to support this and all the knowledge gained from this, you get it when you buy their products. Special software are developed for specific races etc. This you don't get with a Hobbyking or Leopard product.

But if you are a happy basher looking for a cheap power system for your Traxxas, products like from Hobbyking are excellent, great value and performance. Doesn't matter if it brakes down, you can probably buy 3 motors for the same price of one high end motor etc.

The only thing that kills a high end product is if the quality is not on par with the premium charged. Examples of this also exists of course.

So to me, it is not a question of which one is better, a low end or high end product, they serve different purposes and needs, and used in the intended context, they are all good products.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Well said, Salkin.

Another good point is the customer service too. If my Novak breaks down I can easily send it back and they'll either replace it (if under warranty) or be able to fix it...I've never tried to send anything from Hobbyking back so I'm not sure how the customer service is there or not but I'm assuming it wouldn't be up to par with some of the bigger names. Same goes for batteries, higher end batteries are tested way more than the cheaper ones.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The thing about batteries is theres only a handful of companies that make them.
Dont be shocked to find out your $200 lipo has the same exact cells a $50 lipo has. From everything i've read lipo's are one of the biggest mark up items going right now
Old 11-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Yup, you're really just paying for quality control and customer service which generally = customer satisfaction
Old 11-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Tech Champion

They may not be the exact same cells, even if they come from the same manufacturer. Apparently the cells are available in a variety of grades, at varying price levels. At least according to posts from several of the pack importers.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I can share my experience with Hobbyking/Trackstar ESC's, motors and servos. I can also attest to their customer service.

I run Trackstar ESC's, 'Red Can' motors and servos exclusively. The only defect I've had was the little fan on one of the 3 esc's didn't spin as fast as it should. I took a video, submitted an RMA and they sent me a brand new ESC! They even express shipped it from China to me. I had the new on in 3 days. I did NOT have to send the other ESC back either! I've had no issues with programming them, glitching, performance or heat. They all run amazingly well. At a fraction of what "high end" electronics cost, I can not justify spending that much anymore.

I should also mention that I've even podiumed a few times beating out guys that were running electronics costing 4 and 5 times what I've spent.

Yes, I get teased at the track from time to time, until they see the time sheets!
Old 11-15-2014, 02:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

As someone that's always just bought used esc and motors from these forums without paying much attention to brand, this has been quite helpful, thanks.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by B16A2
for the first parts yes as well as in booted applications the rate of acceleration, plus features in the ESC such as boost delay etc. All of it has to do with power delivery when you want it.

With the second thing I wrote think of a bottle full of water and the FETS being the bottle neck. The Higher constant current amperage of the MOSFETS would be like the wider bottle neck allowing more water to flow at a given time, this is what you want from a ESC when at full throttle it should pass the maximum amount of battery power with minimal loss to the motor.
+1 nice explanation.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Marketing, advertising, Pro Team support and sponsorships also factor into the increased costs of high end ESCs and batteries.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:52 AM
Tech Adept

I think it is important that if your motor can be used with your controller.This will affect the use of your ESC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.