Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dependable First LiPo Charger Recs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
yeah, I rarely discharge. Mostly when in 17.5 buggy when I think I might bump up, I charger and extra pack.. Then I choke and dont bump and I want to get some charge out of the pack. I could run some laps after racing is over, but I never have time. But the 106b+ is nice, small and accurate like you said. I picked up my hyperion 0730 for $99, so for me it was a great deal. The 106b+ was only $10 less and the hyperion offered a little more features.
I don't have any discharge options on my charger so I generally we'll keep an eye on the V when charging and stop them once they hit the correct voltage. (~3.6V for a 7.4) Although, between my son and I our batteries are always getting cycled and never sit for more than a week.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:13 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cdwilliams1
I'd recommend either the single or dual AC/DC charger from ElanGears. It's a newer company out of South Korea, but man are their products ROCK SOLID. I have been nothing but impressed. I sold my Hitec x4 and my Thunder Power Duo after getting my hands on this bad boy a year ago and I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. The dual model also has a breakout port that can power two additional slave chargers off the main. Giving you enough power for 4 chargers in one unit. It's a crazy beast. You're starting to see these pop up everywhere in the on-road and oval scenes. I can't say enough good things about it!

The single port unit on AC/DC does 15amp charges and 7amp discharges. Also has a USB charger for your phone.

http://www.lefthander-rc.com/catalog...oducts_id=3060
imo, 174 for that is over priced. I would spend a couple dollars more and get the Orion Duo before the Elan.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
imo, 174 for that is over priced. I would spend a couple dollars more and get the Orion Duo before the Elan.
Part of it is build quality and part of it is the overseas shipping as a small-run manufacturer. It's amazingly solid though. Thick aluminum chassis (no plastic) and always runs cool with a smooth and quiet extra large ball bearing fan.

The Orion Duo Touch is $250 everywhere I've looked. That's more than a "couple dollars more". I've had good luck with Orion speedos though, so I'd have no problem agreeing that Orion products rock

OTOH, you could do a Powerlab 6 with a decent PS for that much. It's all trade-offs and what's important. Once you get past the under-$100 4 button chargers that all run the same firmware anyway, you'll be getting quality stuff with pretty much any choice from a name brand.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:57 PM
Tech Adept

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...e_Charger.html

this is turnigy reactor 300watts charger. Take a look at it specs and comments. I am sure you like it. I ordered it 2 days ago when i feel 150watt/8 amp charger is not good enough for me.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:08 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cdwilliams1
Part of it is build quality and part of it is the overseas shipping as a small-run manufacturer. It's amazingly solid though. Thick aluminum chassis (no plastic) and always runs cool with a smooth and quiet extra large ball bearing fan.

The Orion Duo Touch is $250 everywhere I've looked. That's more than a "couple dollars more". I've had good luck with Orion speedos though, so I'd have no problem agreeing that Orion products rock

OTOH, you could do a Powerlab 6 with a decent PS for that much. It's all trade-offs and what's important. Once you get past the under-$100 4 button chargers that all run the same firmware anyway, you'll be getting quality stuff with pretty much any choice from a name brand.
It was $229 last I looked. But in either case, it will charge 2 packs at once for slightly more. I am sure the elan is fine, but I have always found their chargers to be over priced for the features they delivered. Either SkyRC makes the or they clone them, because some of the SkyRC chargers look just like the Elan Charger, but for less.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by murat61
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...e_Charger.html

this is turnigy reactor 300watts charger. Take a look at it specs and comments. I am sure you like it. I ordered it 2 days ago when i feel 150watt/8 amp charger is not good enough for me.
I did some research on this charger before and it looks as though it has problems with regulating the voltage. I found this video as an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyotVlNtGBg
Old 10-29-2014, 11:03 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by skeasor
I did some research on this charger before and it looks as though it has problems with regulating the voltage. I found this video as an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyotVlNtGBg
it could be a defective product. There is always sort of risks of buying a charger. However, if you got a problem with charger, you can replace the product with hk warranty without shipping product back. Also, the known problem with this charger (as they say in youtube comments and video) is not about exactly regulation of each individual cell. Charger sees output voltage lower than sum of each individual cell. Therefore, it can overcharge. However, it would not be a huge problem for me because, i never leave my lipos unattended . So i can terminate voltage myself. But i remember that if those cells become unbalanced, some of cells could be overcharged. I have a solution for that as well. I can charge lipos in storage mode. When each cells are balanced, i charge it balance mode till one cell reaches 4.20v. However, it is best that charger comes without any problems.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

iCharger 206/208
Light, small, efficient. You probably don't want to add another 500g into your hauler bag, neither spend it's inner room for giant 1kW dual channel charger while you're running only one class.
20x series have all what you need: external discharge using i.e. light bulb, IR measure, 'foam cut' mode to power up something like pit light and enough power to charge any 4s lipo for 1/8 scale on it's max C rate.
It might be not Junsi charger, maybe something else, but bring weight (esp. when you're travelling racer) and size variables into your equation.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just to update, I bought a used iCharger 106B+ (right here on RCTech). Should be here in a few days. Now all I need is a roller, electronics, batteries, and a radio. :-)