Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Battery and motor amps problem >

Battery and motor amps problem

Battery and motor amps problem

Old 09-30-2014, 03:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Battery and motor amps problem

Dear all,
I recently bought an 1:10 electric buggy, which is my first large scale rc car, and while it's being shipped, I went to a nearby hobby shop an purchased a 7.4v 2S 4000mah 30C (burst 60C) Li-Po battery. According to online information 4Ahx30C=120A. Does that mean if I am planning to upgrade the motor and esc to brushless, I have to find those specifying 120A or above? If I have a 60A brushless motor with the 120A battery will the battery cook the motor and destroy my setup? Or does it work the other way?

Many thanks,
Old 10-01-2014, 04:08 AM
Tech Champion

It works the other way. A 120A battery with a 60A motor is fine. Don't want to max out the battery, want to have extra capability. Same for the ESC, want a little extra to be safe.

Ideally:
Battery amps > ESC amps > motor amps

Although the motor maximum amp value isn't always readily available for RC motors.