Wiki Posts
Search

fried power supply?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 10:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default fried power supply?

hey guys. so...i made an oopsies. i was setting up my charger tonight and everything was fine. hit the power supply switch to turn it off and it started sparking and crackling...not to great of a feeling being that its brand new. then it dawned on me that im a moron. i had it on a towel...and the charge leads were laying on the towel as well. so im assuming my power supply is fried? at this point im hoping my new pulsar touch is fine (checked the fuse and that was ok) next step? not sure if the warranty is void. buy a new one? thanks in advance
Old 08-16-2014, 01:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Often supplies have internal fuses, if its out of warranty its likely worth opening to see if there is a replaceable fuse. Be very careful when poking around though - make sure it is unplugged (obviously) and watch the large capacitors that can give you quite a jolt, or even in worse cases kill you. Best to leave it unplugged for at least a couple days before poking around.

Good luck.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

wait how do you turn something off and create a spark? either you're jesus or it fried because it was a defect.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I don't understand how the towel factors into all this.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:40 AM
Suspended

this post just does not make sense.. so you put ur PS on a wet towel Only way this happened.. and instead of turning OFF power you turned it ON..only way this happened.. More than likely you blew the transistors on heat sink inside unit.. this is toast ..what PS is it I can give you a better detailed FYI..
Old 08-16-2014, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm sorry I don't understand what happened
You say you were setting everything up and hit the supply switch to turn it off and it started
Smoking & crackling?
Did I miss something?
Old 08-17-2014, 03:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ElectricMann
this post just does not make sense.. so you put ur PS on a wet towel Only way this happened.. and instead of turning OFF power you turned it ON..only way this happened.. More than likely you blew the transistors on heat sink inside unit.. this is toast ..what PS is it I can give you a better detailed FYI..
no, the towel was dry. and i know i turned it off...cuz my charger was on, then i hit the switch on the ps and the charger turned off. then sparks flew from the ps. i mention the towel because the ps could have had a build up of static. not sure. just trying to make this not happen again. its an lrp 14.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:34 AM
Suspended

Thats LRP for you..sorry lost all confidence in their products about 7 years ago when they made a NEW ESC that smoked for just about everyone.. call LRP and tell them manufacturers defect REPLACE..
LRP America
927 Call Negocio,
Suite D
San Clemente, CA 92673

Tel: 949-276-6060

eMail: [email protected]

Internet: www.lrp-america.com

ad it just does not make sense as the ps has a ground plug..so it's A TURD or harsher words..
Old 08-18-2014, 07:05 AM
Tech Adept

thanks. I appreciate it.