Search

Lipo Charging Wires

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Lipo Charging Wires

Gents,

I want to make longer wire for my charger and wondered why the balance wire always hooked up on the battery side. Would it make any difference if the balances wire are closer to the charger? Only one of the low amp wire would need to the battery. See attached pictures.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Lipo Charging Wires-wires.gif  
Old 08-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Tech Addict

updated pic..
Attached Thumbnails Lipo Charging Wires-wires.gif  
Old 08-05-2014, 01:07 PM
Suspended

that wiring will kill your charger..as you are putting 8.4 volts into a 4.20 port.. will not work...
Old 08-05-2014, 01:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

From what I can see, all he did was move the balance plug from the battery end to the charger end. Circuit wise, it's no different than your standard Lipo charging harness, just the balance plug is on the opposite end.

Here's a standard harness:
http://www.hyperion-world.com/produc...P-EOSOUT-CAR02

Originally Posted by ElectricMann
that wiring will kill your charger..as you are putting 8.4 volts into a 4.20 port.. will not work...
Old 08-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Suspended

what he did is wrong .he is putting 8.4 volts into a 4.2 volt circuit...smoke is bound to happen..and your pic is for a bullet connection nothing close to His setup..

a 2 cell lipo is wired in series 2 cells @ 4.20 volts max each off those they have a universal jumper for Negative of 1 lipo cell to Positive of other lipo cell #2.. he has a Negative going to balance plug with 4.20 volts and he also has Total volts going to 1st cell balance lead from charger.. That's it wrong smoke blown charger bad will happen..

Must be setup like this
+ 2nd cell 4.20 volts
-+ shared
- 1st cell 4.20

He has it..
+ 1st and 2nd cell combined 8.40 volts
- wrong needs both cells -+ away from charge current only 4.2 volts acros outer terminals NOT 8.4
- nothing incomplete connection
Old 08-05-2014, 01:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I think you need to be more specific about why he is wrong instead of just stating he is wrong. If you can already plug those harnesses into a charger and he just relocated the balance plug, why is it wrong?
Old 08-05-2014, 01:39 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah it appears the balance plug wiring is not in the correct order, at least for any charger that I'm familiar with.

Correct that and the idea will sorta work. Drawback is less accurate cell voltage reading, as 2 of 3 balance leads will have the slight voltage drop across the main wires compared to the middle balance wire. Will likely cause a bit of unnecessary balancing and slightly longer charge times. Perhaps if not using high charge rates the difference will be minimal.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Pauly6401
From what I can see, all he did was move the balance plug from the battery end to the charger end. Circuit wise, it's no different than your standard Lipo charging harness, just the balance plug is on the opposite end.

Here's a standard harness:
http://www.hyperion-world.com/produc...P-EOSOUT-CAR02
Exacly, i just want to use less of the 18-20 guage wires. the wire would be at the other end and thats it. Disregard the balance plug wires order

Last edited by J@UNE; 08-05-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dave H
Drawback is less accurate cell voltage reading, as 2 of 3 balance leads will have the slight voltage drop across the main wires compared to the middle balance wire. Will likely cause a bit of unnecessary balancing and slightly longer charge times. Perhaps if not using high charge rates the difference will be minimal.
Ok I get it, I just though that longer balance leads would cause more resistance. I'll just use the std config and go that route

Thanks for info!!!
Old 08-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

But for race night charging are you going to balance charge all night? I know we spoke about this and how i want to make up some 3ft leads to clean up my pit space..

If we are just doing fast charges for race nights(not balancing) IS there any reason not to use 3ft or 4ft charge leads?
Old 08-05-2014, 07:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
But for race night charging are you going to balance charge all night? I know we spoke about this and how i want to make up some 3ft leads to clean up my pit space..

If we are just doing fast charges for race nights(not balancing) IS there any reason not to use 3ft or 4ft charge leads?
The charge will be a little slower, due to the increased voltage drop across the longer wires. The charger will hit the slower CV portion of the charge a little prematurely compared to shorter charge wires. The higher the charge rate (amps) the bigger the difference will be. The difference will also be larger if using one of the better chargers that uses the balancer voltages more effectively. Using oversized wires and good connectors will minimize the increase.

The difference may not be huge, but if fast charges are the goal it doesn't help.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So my desired full charge of 8.4volts will still be achieved?

Right now im going 8amps and have zero issue getting recharged between heats.Got no issue going to 10amps if need be. so loosing a bit of time is not the end of the the world as long as i get max voltage safely

Jon find us some 8 guage !
Old 08-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Tech Champion

As far as I know it should still reach 8.4V, the voltage error reduces as the CV portion of the charge goes down in amperage. There are some chargers that won't fully charge a 1S without the balancer, but offhand I'm not aware of any with that limitation on a 2S or larger.

Of course with no balance hook up there is a reduced level of safety if something happens to a cell that isn't otherwise caught ahead of charging.

Personally I'm not sure how 3 feet of charge cables cleans up a pit space, it would be a mess on mine!
Old 08-05-2014, 07:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by J@UNE
Gents,

I want to make longer wire for my charger and wondered why the balance wire always hooked up on the battery side. Would it make any difference if the balances wire are closer to the charger? Only one of the low amp wire would need to the battery. See attached pictures.

Thanks in advance.
If you want more distance between the charger and the battery it is far simpler to get a balance plug extension than to make up custom wiring harnesses.

Hobbyking sells these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_bag_.html but having experience with them do don't recommend them.

Rather get the ones from epbuddy.com. I didn't give you the link to the epbuddy ones because their web site is down at the instant I am posting this. I use their extensions for all my charging.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:23 AM
Tech Champion

epbuddy became Buddy RC some time back.

Another source for balance extensions is TQ Wire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.