Wiki Posts
Search

Turnigy metal gear servos from HobbyKing

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 05:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Turnigy metal gear servos from HobbyKing

Are they good? The price is unbelievably low compared to say, Savox!
Old 07-31-2014, 04:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 25Barker
Are they good? The price is unbelievably low compared to say, Savox!
Unbelievably low for a reason....
Old 07-31-2014, 10:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Some of them buzz very loudly and twitch at what passes for center on them. Others will swear they work ok for the price but if you're looking for savings, servo, tx and rx are the last places I'd look for savings and are therefore, the last items I'd be buying from Hobby King. HK = Batteries maybe, basher stuff maybe, servos no.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

Their batteries are good, but I wouldn't put faith in their servos, especially if your using one as a throttle servo.......
Old 07-31-2014, 07:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A guy at our track has had one for 2+ years in his ebuggy and loves it. My buddy just got one as well and likes it so far.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I picked up one of their Bluebird HV servo's for my buggy and altho slightly noisy, it centers good, has way more torque than I need and fast too. I've only had it for a couple of months but so far its been excellent.

For $61 + shipping, you get a HV, digital, coreless, titanium gear anodized servo (made in Taiwan if that matters) with 388 oz/in of torque and speed of .10 sec. I run a Castle 10A BEC with it and IMO, its one the best deals I've ever run across.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

The upper end of the bluebrid servo range are nothing to sneeze at, they've been making servos for an eternity, and produce re-branded servos for several other manufacturers - turnigy is not one of them though.

If buying servos from HK, i'd steer clear of the turnigy servos in favour of Bluebird servo's, great servos for the price and perform just as well as servos costing double or more from other mfg's.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wombat
The upper end of the bluebrid servo range are nothing to sneeze at, they've been making servos for an eternity, and produce re-branded servos for several other manufacturers - turnigy is not one of them though.

If buying servos from HK, i'd steer clear of the turnigy servos in favour of Bluebird servo's, great servos for the price and perform just as well as servos costing double or more from other mfg's.
X2, my first decent spec'ed servo was a 616+dmg almost 10 years ago and still works very well, has been in numerous 1/8 truggies and buggies.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Bluebird most definitely makes servos for Turnigy. Look at the case designs. The case and the specs match up perfectly. Power HD also makes a number of the Turnigy servos such as the 1258TG that I race with in my buggy. Read up on Power HD on some airplane forums those guys love them and trust them in their planes.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Sorry, should have been more clear - I was making reference to the upper end std size vehicle (high torque/HV/$) turnigy servos and not the crappy low end stuff - the decent spec'd turnigy servos are not rebadged bluebirds, looks to be a mix of Power HD and Power XQ.

Not that there's anything wrong with a Power HD or Power XQ servo (which I ran previously at one point). The HV and high torque metal vented case bluebird servos are superb for the money, well made and reliable. These are the ones I use and will only ever use from now on:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0_14s_74g.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._10ec_74g.html

They are just as good and reliable as more expensive offerings from Hitec, Futaba etc from my own experience, and at half the cost.

But depends on what servo and price range the OP was talking about.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Yep, I purchased the second link in your post.

Best kept secret for servo's IMO. Let the others buy their Futaba, Hitec or Savox servo's and who dont mind paying 2-3 times more for specs well below a $60 BB servo.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

Sorry, should have been more clear - I was making reference to the upper end std size vehicle (high torque/HV/$) turnigy servos and not the crappy low end stuff - the decent spec'd turnigy servos are not rebadged bluebirds, looks to be a mix of Power HD and Power XQ.

Not that there's anything wrong with a Power HD or Power XQ servo (which I ran previously at one point). The HV and high torque metal vented case bluebird servos are superb for the money, well made and reliable. These are the ones I use and will only ever use from now on:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0_14s_74g.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._10ec_74g.html

They are just as good and reliable as more expensive offerings from Hitec, Futaba etc from my own experience, and at half the cost.

But depends on what servo and price range the OP was talking about.
True, but I was just making the point that there are also some cheaper rebranded servos that are good like this http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...13sec_52g.html which is obviously a Bluebird and this Power HD http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...6kg_12sec.html and this Alturn USA servo http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...g_0_09sec.html .

It's kinda ridiculous that I can recognize all these brands just by case design and sticker placement.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by frewster
True, but I was just making the point that there are also some cheaper rebranded servos that are good like this http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...13sec_52g.html which is obviously a Bluebird
Bluebird 620MG is cheaper....

HK sells Power HD servo's as well....maybe they're in kahoots.

So Turnigy copied a Taiwanese company design? Hard to believe.....

It's kinda ridiculous that I can recognize all these brands just by case design and sticker placement.
Yes.....yes it is.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Yosh70
Bluebird 620MG is cheaper....
This is true. Not sure why they're doing that.

HK sells Power HD servo's as well....maybe they're in kahoots.
Plenty of companies hire out OEM's. HK just happens to sell stuff as well.

So Turnigy copied a Taiwanese company design? Hard to believe.....
Um, no? Alturn USA is an actual OEM. There's a difference between rebranding and copying.
Yes.....yes it is.
Could do worse.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Comparison

Does anyone by chance know which Bluebird servo is closest to the specs of the Futaba 9551?