Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Thunder Power Charger issue with Reedy Batteries >

Thunder Power Charger issue with Reedy Batteries

Thunder Power Charger issue with Reedy Batteries

Old 07-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Smile Thunder Power Charger issue with Reedy Batteries

Hoping someone out there with similar equipment can help me. For some reason, I cannot get two types of Reedy Lipo Batteries to be recognized and charged by my Thunder Power Charger.

Here's what I have:
Charger = TP820CD
Firmware = 4.34 latest release
Batteries that I have NO problems charging = TP-2S-5300mAh-65C-G6, Reedy-4S-5500mAh-60C

- however -

Batteries that I DO HAVE ISSUES WITH and will not balance or give me battery connection error = Reedy-2S-5800mAh-65C and Reedy-2S-4100mAh-65C

The connection cable I am using is the following: "Balancing Lead Banana to 4mm Bullet Adapter 2S LiPo" - Stock#DTXC2225 I am able to get readings on cells with cable that I have, and have tested multiple cables to ensure it is not a cable issue. The exact error message I am getting is: "Balance Connection Error".

If there is anyone out there successfully charging Reedy Batteries with Thunder Power's 820, please let me know. I could really use the help.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Maybe a bad balance board?
I don't know anything about TP chargers, but I do know I'll never touch another Reedy lipo for the rest of my RC life. Every reedy lipo that I have used and seen puffed within two uses. I always had balancing issues with mine and my bros 4s set his ESC on fire after it didn't balance right. Every other brand I have used in the same conditions had performed great (CRC, TrakPower, Orion, Thunder Power), so my guess is you have some bad reedys. Depending on how new they are you may be able to get them replaced. If not they will probably give you %50 credit towards some new ones like they offered me...I didn't take them up on it.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Tech Initiate

@jpdgas Thanks for the feedback.

I did end up losing on of my Reedy's, it got swollen and busted the hard case open. I surely didn't want to mess with it so I just disposed of the battery. I had only run that battery a couple of times. Unfortunately, it had been several months since I bought that battery so it was a total loss.

Funny thing about my situation is that my charger does charge and balance all other battery types correctly. So who knows at this point.

My next play is buying Reedy's balance charge lead: Reedy 4mm 1S-2S Balance Charge Lead w/SP Clip. If that doesn't work, I am at a loss for what it could be. I did submit a notice to TP's support email. We'll see if they get back to me.

Between CRC, TrakPower, Orion, Thunder Power is there a brand that you feel has worked the best?
Old 07-14-2014, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The TP uses a different balance plug and the 4s well uses the 4s plug. Have you tried another 2s battery to make sure that the 2s balance plug just isn't bad on the balance adaptor?
Old 07-14-2014, 01:10 PM
Tech Initiate

@lewis110 - appreciate your input.

The short answer is yes.

I have several TP G6 batteries which plug into the 2s slot within the balancer provided with the charger. These charge perfectly fine. I have 2 4S Reedy 14.8 batteries, these plug into the 4S slot and charge just fine.

My other 2 Reedy packs (Reedy-2S-5800mAh-65C and Reedy-2S-4100mAh-65C), are the ones I am having issues with. I have 3 different charge leads for these 2S slots. I have tried all three of them, but the charger gives me an error.

When I connect the charge leads to a separate balancer, it gives me reading of the cells. That is why I didn't think it would be the charge leads. But maybe there is an incompatibility there. Charge lead I have been using is: "Balancing Lead Banana to 4mm Bullet Adapter 2S LiPo" - Stock#DTXC2225

Anyway, thanks for your input!!!
Old 07-14-2014, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

If you are having problems with voltage readings it could be the batteries. If you want to send them back we can check them out and send new ones if they are still under warranty or if there is some type of manufacturing defect.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cesarkeller View Post
@lewis110 - appreciate your input.

The short answer is yes.

I have several TP G6 batteries which plug into the 2s slot within the balancer provided with the charger. These charge perfectly fine. I have 2 4S Reedy 14.8 batteries, these plug into the 4S slot and charge just fine.

My other 2 Reedy packs (Reedy-2S-5800mAh-65C and Reedy-2S-4100mAh-65C), are the ones I am having issues with. I have 3 different charge leads for these 2S slots. I have tried all three of them, but the charger gives me an error.

When I connect the charge leads to a separate balancer, it gives me reading of the cells. That is why I didn't think it would be the charge leads. But maybe there is an incompatibility there. Charge lead I have been using is: "Balancing Lead Banana to 4mm Bullet Adapter 2S LiPo" - Stock#DTXC2225

Anyway, thanks for your input!!!
I'm thinking it maybe your actual balance adaptor. The TP and reedy use 2 different balance plugs styles on the battery itself. So the 2s TP and 2s reedy use 2 different ports on the balance adaptor. But then again does it do it on both channels? Side 1 and side 2 of the charger? If it does it on both channels with both adaptors then it would have to be something with the batteries. I've charged a bunch of different brands of lipos and never experienced anything like that on my TP820
Old 07-14-2014, 10:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

@jpdgas Thanks for the feedback.

Between CRC, TrakPower, Orion, Thunder Power is there a brand that you feel has worked the best?
Can't beat CRC in terms of dollars to performance, I am very impressed with the 2s pacs i have pushing my scte.

Orion and thunderpower are great as well, but on the expensive side.

Trackpower has been decent, no complaints. But ill probably stick with CRC and Orion in the future.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
If you are having problems with voltage readings it could be the batteries. If you want to send them back we can check them out and send new ones if they are still under warranty or if there is some type of manufacturing defect.
@Rick - Many thanks. When I hook up the Reedy Batteries, I am getting voltage readings very near 7.4. Would they be damaged if the reading is not spot on to 7.4? If so, I would like to take you up on your offer. The ones in question are relatively new, purchased from amain.com.

If the voltage reading near 7.4 is OK, then a question for you? Do I need to have a very specific charge lead for these Reedy batteries? Or will a generic one be OK? Please advise and thanks.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lewis110 View Post
I'm thinking it maybe your actual balance adaptor. The TP and reedy use 2 different balance plugs styles on the battery itself. So the 2s TP and 2s reedy use 2 different ports on the balance adaptor. But then again does it do it on both channels? Side 1 and side 2 of the charger? If it does it on both channels with both adaptors then it would have to be something with the batteries. I've charged a bunch of different brands of lipos and never experienced anything like that on my TP820
@lewis110 - Thanks!

I will try both balancers, both charge leads, on both ports to see if I get the same results. I hadn't thought of that. Appreciate your continued input.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

@Rick - Many thanks. When I hook up the Reedy Batteries, I am getting voltage readings very near 7.4. Would they be damaged if the reading is not spot on to 7.4? If so, I would like to take you up on your offer. The ones in question are relatively new, purchased from amain.com.

If the voltage reading near 7.4 is OK, then a question for you? Do I need to have a very specific charge lead for these Reedy batteries? Or will a generic one be OK? Please advise and thanks.
You do not need a specific lead for these batteries. The one you listed is similar to one that we sell so the design is not a problem unless there is something wrong with the solder connections of the lead. But if you have successfully charged other batteries with this lead, it is likely not the problem.

One thing we see from time to time with leads like this is connections that have not been soldered, but have been shrinked and the shrink wrap holds it all together. It may work intermittently this way so check it out.

If you are getting a pack reading of 7.4 you are fine.

Does the battery charge if you use a non-balancing charge mode? And do the batteries work in a vehicle? If so there may be a bad connection to the battery balance port which would allow the battery to work correctly but not allow if to balance due to the dead balance port.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
You do not need a specific lead for these batteries. The one you listed is similar to one that we sell so the design is not a problem unless there is something wrong with the solder connections of the lead. But if you have successfully charged other batteries with this lead, it is likely not the problem.

One thing we see from time to time with leads like this is connections that have not been soldered, but have been shrinked and the shrink wrap holds it all together. It may work intermittently this way so check it out.

If you are getting a pack reading of 7.4 you are fine.

Does the battery charge if you use a non-balancing charge mode? And do the batteries work in a vehicle? If so there may be a bad connection to the battery balance port which would allow the battery to work correctly but not allow if to balance due to the dead balance port.
@Rick - thanks for the followup.

I have checked the voltage of my batteries and here are the readings:
Reedy Square 5800mAh battery 1 = 7.691V
Reedy Square 5800mAh batter 2 = 7.460V
Reedy 4100mAh battery = 7.637V

Also, I checked the lead cables and they are able to charge other batteries fine and read out the voltage properly. Do you have any suggestions? And lastly, due to readings being above 7.4, is that OK?

Thanks again,

Cesar
Old 07-16-2014, 03:38 PM
Tech Initiate

@lewis110 - Thanks!

I will try both balancers, both charge leads, on both ports to see if I get the same results. I hadn't thought of that. Appreciate your continued input.
@lewis110

I tried all charge leads on both ports and had the same error. Although I didn't get a different result, at least I know I am being thorough

Thanks.