Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Airtronics MT-4 with Eneloop AA's >

Airtronics MT-4 with Eneloop AA's

Airtronics MT-4 with Eneloop AA's

Old 06-18-2014, 05:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Airtronics MT-4 with Eneloop AA's

I just got a brand new Airtronics MT-4 transmitter, and installed a set of Eneloop AA batteries. The batteries fit very tightly in the battery holder. The battery holder has a connector that I can plug into my MRC superbrain charger. My question is: what charge rate can I use? The eneloop batteries are 1.2 volt, 2500 MaH. I would prefer to remove the battery holder with batteries installed and charge this way, as the batteries pretty difficult to remove from the holder. Thanks
Old 06-18-2014, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

AA batteries are generally charged at 1/2 C , So 1.25 amps.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Unless you are in a huge hurry to charge the radio the I'd only charge at .5 amps. I'd also highly suggest you remove the battery cover when charging, this will allow you to keep the cells at their coolest during charging and also let you monitor temp by feel or use of a temp gun. The lower the charge rate, the higher capacity the cells will charge up to and promote the longest cell service life.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks alot
Old 06-20-2014, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

4.8V fully charged is on the low side for a Tx IMO....me and some of the Spektrum guys bought NIZN rechargeables from HK (1.6V nominal) and fully charged, they start at 7.1V!

With 5 batteries, charger and shipping to my door was $18...probably cheaper for you since you're in the U.S.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:32 PM
Tech Champion

I suspect many if not most modern computer type transmitters have voltage regulators built in to protect the relatively delicate integrated circuit chips they are based on. I know the earlier Spektrum transmitters do. Doubt if higher voltage batteries above the minimum required provide much benefit, as the regulator knocks them down to a proper level for the circuit board anyway. I've not seen much if any difference in performance or range from mid 6V to mid 4V with a couple of 4AA radios.

Over most of the useful discharge curve 1.2V nominal rated nickel based rechargeables aren't much different than 1.5V rated alkalines for voltage, other than the alkies do start a little higher.