Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Problem with various AE ESC's and Lipo cutoff. >

Problem with various AE ESC's and Lipo cutoff.

Problem with various AE ESC's and Lipo cutoff.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Tech Adept

Default Problem with various AE ESC's and Lipo cutoff.

In a nutshell it either doesn't work or isn't reliable. Twice today I had packs where the voltage had fallen below 10v on 3 cell, one at 6V!!!!!!!! and the ESC never shutdown. If I didn't have good cells it would have ruined my packs or caused a fire. 1 of my cells was at 2.5!!!!! I had a balance buzzer on that beeps when the cells get low but it fell off and I didn't realize it and kept driving.

Has anyone else had this problem? The ESC's in question are the 500 and 700 Associated brushless ones. I'm new to Lipo and am still learning in some ways.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Are you sure they are in lipo mode? Always check to make sure they are. That being said the AE XP500/XP700 are very horribly made ESCs.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

First of all, green led on the ESC is on, correct? Second, if you bothered to read the manual, both ESC's have a 3V cut off (which is too low IMO) which is setup when you choose lipo mode.

So a 3S will cutoff @ 9V, a 2S @ 6V. If you installed this "balance buzzer" (low voltage alarm?) and it fell off, how is that the ESC's fault? And at what voltage is it supposed to go off? And if one lipo's cell dropped to 2.5V and the other(s) is 3V or above, then that pack is obviously not in good shape.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:43 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Yosh70
If you installed this "balance buzzer" (low voltage alarm?) and it fell off, how is that the ESC's fault? And at what voltage is it supposed to go off?
It's the ESC's fault in that it is supposed to shut off below a certain point. I use the buzzer because it gives more accurate "per cell" readings. The ESC should have cut off even if the buzzer fell off.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kodack10
I use the buzzer because it gives more accurate "per cell" readings.
Can't be accurate if it aint there I guess.

You dont want to answer any of the other Q's? I guess you have it all figured out then.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Tech Adept

You dont want to answer any of the other Q's? I guess you have it all figured out then.
You don't have to be facetious. Yes the ESC's are in lipo mode. Only once has it ever triggered though, and by then the pack was already swelling.

I think I might just servo tape mount the buzzer to my battery bar permanently.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Fortunately the majority of the people are helpful and arrogant pricks like you are a rare breed..
Old 05-05-2014, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mdl060374
Fortunately the majority of the people are helpful and arrogant pricks like you are a rare breed..
Unfortunately we have posters like yourself that have to give their 2 cents worth and post nothing but to boost their low self esteem.

Why not offer your infinite wisdom and post something to help the OP?
Old 05-17-2014, 01:41 AM
Tech Adept

BTW, the castle ESC I just put in actually works correctly out of the box. It shut down the motor, kept the servo working. I thought a motor lead came off or it went into shutdown, but it was low battery. It didn't even swell and it was a very cheap pack. The first time I got below 3v in my SC10 the pack looked like that guy from Big Trouble in Little China who blows himself up.