Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 bad futaba rx in a row

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

If the transmitter is not set to the matching receiver type in the rx mode menu (power switch pushed to the left) the receiver will not light up or do anything. Make sure its set to the correct type then press and hold the joystick down to accept the change and make sure it saves it by cycling the power off and on and checking the setting. Should say "s-fh(norm)" when using analog servos and "s-fh(high)" for digital servos when using a 203gf
Old 03-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reaper7534
When I get home tonight, I'll plug my rx pack into mine to verify at least a red light comes on, I'm about 95% sure it does.

I don't think it has anything to do with the packaging, more of a QC issue.
I'm not going to go all fanboy and say bad Futaba stuff hasn't made it out into the wild but the 4PL/PLS has about a 50% share of the racers at the tracks I go to and every single "bad" or "won't bind" receiver I've been asked to help take a look at has been TX mode related.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

^^^^^exactly
Old 03-06-2014, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VenturaDC
If the transmitter is not set to the matching receiver type in the rx mode menu (power switch pushed to the left) the receiver will not light up or do anything. Make sure its set to the correct type then press and hold the joystick down to accept the change and make sure it saves it by cycling the power off and on and checking the setting. Should say "s-fh(norm)" when using analog servos and "s-fh(high)" for digital servos when using a 203gf
So with power on it and pushing the bind button there will be no lights at all until its finished binding? Its wierd the RX that came with the radio lights up no matter what
Old 03-06-2014, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MarkA
I'm going to go all fanboy and say bad Futaba stuff hasn't made it out into the wild but the 4PL/PLS has about a 50% share of the racers at the tracks I go to and every single "bad" or "won't bind" receiver I've been asked to help take a look at has been TX mode related.
I understand, which is why I made the post questioning the realities of it happening
Old 03-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AlanHall
So with power on it and pushing the bind button there will be no lights at all until its finished binding? Its wierr the RX that came with the radio lights up matter what
If the TX is not in the correct mode a 203gf will not light up. When it is in the correct mode on the TX and its been saved correctly when you turn the TX off then on again the RX will light up red. The one that came with the system was already bound to it from the factory which is why it lit up.

I went thru this when I first got my 4pls. Thought i had a bunk RX aswell. I left it on (no lights) and screwed with the setting on the TX and after finally getting it set right it lit up red on its own(never touched it) then I pressed the bind button and then it turned green and worked perfectly.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Tech Champion

I just plugged in my car and went through the various stages of bind.

To correct my earlier post, on an "E" receiver at least, the light only comes on to begin the bind process if it is in fact beginning the bind process, that is, there is a properly transmitting TX within range. After bound, it switches to green only when receiving a signal. Nothing happens if there is no properly transmitting TX in range when pushing the bind button nor is there a light on if the car is on but not the TX.

On the R2004GF reciever I'm using taped to my computer as a VRC controller, it will go red if powered up but not receiving a signal.

Futaba has so many compatible RX's that YMMV on the lights but do re-try it with a confirmed correct transmitting mode.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

I am curious if you have resolved the issue? The suggestion I was going to make has already been mentioned about the correct mode on the TX. I can say I 've abused the heck out of receivers and they still keep on going. There isn't much in a RX to be damaged and a buggy/truggy/etc would put it through more vibrations and elemental factors than shipping across the country.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

I'm checking this evening. Thanks guys
Old 03-06-2014, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VenturaDC
If the TX is not in the correct mode a 203gf will not light up. When it is in the correct mode on the TX and its been saved correctly when you turn the TX off then on again the RX will light up red. The one that came with the system was already bound to it from the factory which is why it lit up.

I went thru this when I first got my 4pls. Thought i had a bunk RX aswell. I left it on (no lights) and screwed with the setting on the TX and after finally getting it set right it lit up red on its own(never touched it) then I pressed the bind button and then it turned green and worked perfectly.
Just helped a buddy at the track 2 weeks ago who thought his rx was bad because of this same issue.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Odin544
Just helped a buddy at the track 2 weeks ago who thought his rx was bad because of this same issue.
Echo this....have to be in correct mode.

I just did the following to get into work

Set the transmitter to FHSS
Hook RX pack to RX
Turn on RX Pack ( flashes green )
Press SW button....BOUND
Old 03-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

Thats it. Thanks a ton guys. Now I gotta figure out how to setup 2 models and 2 different modes of receiver
Old 03-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AlanHall
Thats it. Thanks a ton guys. Now I gotta figure out how to setup 2 models and 2 different modes of receiver
I believe the rx type is set per model #. So When you switch to a different model it should already be setup after the initial programming.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Odin544
I believe the rx type is set per model #. So When you switch to a different model it should already be setup after the initial programming.
^^^^ What he said.... I have 3 different receivers, 2 with FHSS and 1 with T-FHSS and it holds the settings individually.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:50 AM
Tech Champion

Correct as per the two posts above this one but as a reminder, it means you can't switch models on the fly. You need to do the switch, then turn it off and back on when changing the transmit mode.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.