Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fed up with brown outs

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Had the same issue running mod buggy. Brown outs only happened when the throttle was pulled abruptly. A glitch buster (Receiver capacitor) solved the problem for $5.00.

Yes, the power pull between the Savox hi torque servo and mod motor dropped the voltage available to the receiver. The older Spektrum receivers were more subject to voltage drops than the newer ones. Thus a brown out. Haven't had that problem since.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ufoDziner
You're not using the MMP's BEC, so the MMP BEC issue doesn't matter. Also, per your description, it's the motor that is what is consuming the power in this case.
Tips on motor setting? I have left it at stock settings as this seems to be the fastest.

As for solder connections involving the BEC, I bet I could do a better job. Looks like a I have more solder than necessary. I'm thinking I should probably solder the BEC wires to the tabs first, then solder the ESC wires to the tabs.

I set the MMP to 6volts on the BEC. Also, for what it's worth, I'm going to replace the SR3001 Pro with my extra Spektrum SR3000 receiver.
I just want to try everything before I get off my wallet and put in for a sweet new HiTech servo, and perhaps a new Rx/Tx module or whole new control setup.
Unfortunately, I won't get to test any of these changes until Saturday at the latest.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:07 AM
Tech Regular

Your bec is not wired correctly. You should power just the servo with the castle bec and try that. Only hook the signal wire from the servo to the receiver then the power wires to the external bec.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:22 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Thats not necessarily in correctly. I run mine the same way he's wired his. And run them on 6 volts. Just make sure to pull the red wire out of the receiver plug on the esc.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I would start simple....

More often then not the BEC brownouts can be smoothed away with just a glitch buster. I am not sure if what all you have is hooked up properly not having seen it. But if you are willing to gamble $5-6 at it just get a glitch buster and remove the external BEC from the setup. This will mean you need to make sure all three wires on the ESC are plugged into the receiver though (should have that middle red wire disconnected when using an external BEC).

Or if you plan to run a higher receiver voltage than the MMP can do, or simply have zero faith in a glitch buster let's make sure things are all hooked up right. You simply should not have this issue with the external BEC. First off the middle red wire to the ESC needs to be disconnected, that is where it would want to feed power to the receiver and take on the role of BEC. Beyond that it is simply a matter of properly attaching the external BEC you have to things based on their instructions.

I am not a personal fan of the external BEC though, I like simple and tidy and they just end up being more wires and parts in the chassis to deal with. The glitch buster is not a whole lot better in that respect, but it is simpler and there is only about half as much of it to deal with physically in the chassis where space is valuable if I had to do it at all.

Also, of the three players in this brownout game (Battery / BEC / Servo), the battery really plays the smallest part.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Odin544
Get a better radio or get rid of the Savox. Problem solved. Savox are one of the most power hungry servos you can get.
Yep, Savox servo consumes around 2.5x as much power/amps as comparable Futaba.
(That's going from what I read on the charger when recharging after similar runtime, same batt.)
Old 02-23-2014, 05:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Went racing yesterday. Tried everything I could. My friend who sold me the radio was there, and we determined that the transmitter module needs to be repaired by Spektrum. The antenna is messed up. The original owner had rerouted the antenna so that it would exit through the top of the radio.
So since I wanted to race, I bought a $80 Sanwa MX-V. No more Spektrum questions (for now), and no more brown-outs, lawn-darts, or over jumps.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eivind E
Yep, Savox servo consumes around 2.5x as much power/amps as comparable Futaba.
(That's going from what I read on the charger when recharging after similar runtime, same batt.)
That's one baby step above a guess. The amount of power they use is negligible, as you can see in the non-guessed charts above.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Have you tried a glitch buster capacitor? They're cheap and just plug straight into the receiver. I think this could be the answer to your problem.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ufoDziner
That's one baby step above a guess. The amount of power they use is negligible, as you can see in the non-guessed charts above.
So a 1.8 amp draw on a 2 amp BEC is negligible?
Old 02-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zixxerluv
Hoping for some "fix-ya" advice.
I bought a used Ko Propo EX-10 Helios which came with a Spektrum SR3001 Pro receiver and SM1001 Pro transmitter module. It browns out at the worst times! On the straight away, out of turns, prior to a jump, during a jump when flight attitude needs adjustment.... pretty much all the effen time!
Sometimes, the problem does not show itself at all, for short periods of time.
I'm using a Savox 1267 servo, and I have a Castle BEC properly installed to prevent glitching. I'm also using Castle MMP with 3800kv motor. I use the Castle Link to program the esc.
Is this particular Spektrum equipment unreliable? Is there a fix for it? The antenna has been relocated (by the previous owner) from the side of the Tx module to the top of the controller.
I'll be willing to refit the controller with Ko Propo equipment, but that'll cost $200.
What other Rx/Tx modules are compatible that may not cost as much as Ko Propo?
Any comments and feedback are greatly appreciated!

I had brown out issues every single lap with my brand new Spektrum radio. Sold it, bought airtronics MT4, best decision i ever made in RC. I will never ever ever buy a spektrum radio again, their receivers just are not made well and brown out all too often.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zixxerluv
Went racing yesterday. Tried everything I could. My friend who sold me the radio was there, and we determined that the transmitter module needs to be repaired by Spektrum. The antenna is messed up. The original owner had rerouted the antenna so that it would exit through the top of the radio.
So since I wanted to race, I bought a $80 Sanwa MX-V. No more Spektrum questions (for now), and no more brown-outs, lawn-darts, or over jumps.
Sell the spektrum when you get it back haha. You will be much happier with Airtronics (Sanwa)
Old 02-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

For the last seven years I have run nothing but Spektrum radios and receivers (some the old kind) in every RC I have. I run dirt off road, dirt oval, carpet oval, carpet on road; I have never had a problem with a Tekin or Novak ESC and the Spektrums.

When running 1 cell classes, I run a Novak booster and no issues with that set up either. I have not run a 1/10 Castle ESC or motor or Savox servos and my previous radio (years ago) was Futaba with Spektrum module.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by hyujmn
Have you tried a glitch buster capacitor? They're cheap and just plug straight into the receiver. I think this could be the answer to your problem.
I have used the glitch buster caps. I originally thought they couldn't handle the Savox, so I moved on to the Castle BEC.

Originally Posted by nutz4rcyktw
For the last seven years I have run nothing but Spektrum radios and receivers (some the old kind) in every RC I have. I run dirt off road, dirt oval, carpet oval, carpet on road; I have never had a problem with a Tekin or Novak ESC and the Spektrums.

When running 1 cell classes, I run a Novak booster and no issues with that set up either. I have not run a 1/10 Castle ESC or motor or Savox servos and my previous radio (years ago) was Futaba with Spektrum module.
I think the module antenna was broken by the original owner. I may be the third or fourth owner. When I took it apart to inspect the antenna connection, I found the plastic swivel portion of the antenna had been glued. It appeared to have been shattered. Likely happened because the module originally had the antenna sticking out of itself, thus out of the side of the radio. It is likely the radio fell on its side and broke the antenna.
Anyway, I will have it repaired, then I'll try the unit again. I really liked the Ko Propo, and would like to go back to it.
I'll be sure to update this thread when I get the module back. The results will either embolden or squelch the Spektrum and Savox haters, and I will likely choose a side then.
Again, thanks for all the input.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whitrzac
So a 1.8 amp draw on a 2 amp BEC is negligible?
When it is a spike due to a pipe touch, etc... it is expected, and yes, negligible as it is only momentary. I'm not sure who includes a 2 amp BEC, I think 3 was the norm, which seems to be changing to 5. But claiming to know based on similar runs and no data is crazy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.