Wiki Posts
Search

Futaba 4PL vs Airtronics MT-4

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Futaba 4PL vs Airtronics MT-4

I am looking at one of these radios to replace my DX3e, which is a smoother and more stable platform? and which has easier menus to navigate.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TLR Chipmunk
I am looking at one of these radios to replace my DX3e, which is a smoother and more stable platform? and which has easier menus to navigate.
My son has 4pl and I have MT4.
Both are nice.
Pros for MT4 is that you can assign a function for each switch and button. In fact, I turned off a switch because I didn't need that switch to do anything when I accidentally touch it.
Cons on Airtronics is that the toggle switches are too close to the steering wheel and I accidentally touch them while driving. But I am getting used to being more careful now. And there is no backlight. If the drivers' stand has poor lighting and you have to adjust setting, it can be challenging.
Receivers are $9 more expensive than futaba receivers. ($47 vs $38 from eBay).

Cons on 4pl is the antenna can be little bit of hassle. I often see used 4pl's in for sale section with a broken antenna.
And the menu buttons are somewhat weird to me - not as intuitive as MT4's.
And you can't use 2S lipo as the voltage will be too high for the radio.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks very much this is very helpful!
Old 02-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Side note: that's the 4pl, on the 4pls the switches are assignable aswell, and while you cant use lipo, if your charger is compatible you can use a li-fe battery. I believe most current chargers have a li-fe mode. I personally find the menu very easy and straight forward to use imo. If you have multiple vehicles the cheaper receivers save money fast.

The biggest thing tho is to hold each one in your hand, being comfortable with it is probably the most important since they are so similar in overall features and performance.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:12 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Which one of the 2 would you say has a faster response time?
Old 02-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Honestly either one in high response mode wih matching reciever will be wicked fast, if latency is that much of an issue then it might be time to consider a 4pks or m12, even then the difference in speed from the mid range radios is probably not noticeable by club level drivers.

Again I can't stress enough before deciding between the two it's best to hold each one, both work great but if one fits like a glove and the other is just ok for your personal preference it can make a big difference in overall satisfaction of your radio.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Darkgenerals
Which one of the 2 would you say has a faster response time?
Can't remember the numbers exactly, but the mt4 is in the 4ms region (as the m11x), and the 4pl is in the 6-7ms region.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Don't even worry about response time. The Airtronics 92524 FHSS-2 receivers are slightly slower than their FHSS-3 receivers, but I use both of them interchangeably and can't notice a difference in speed.

With these radios, pick the one that feels most comfortable in your hand. That should be the absolute most important thing. Both radios are excellent for the money; how it feels in your hand is completely up to you. I chose airtronics because I wanted a lightweight, small radio. The 4PL is just a little bit bigger than the MT4.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by hyujmn
Don't even worry about response time. The Airtronics 92524 FHSS-2 receivers are slightly slower than their FHSS-3 receivers, but I use both of them interchangeably and can't notice a difference in speed.

With these radios, pick the one that feels most comfortable in your hand. That should be the absolute most important thing. Both radios are excellent for the money; how it feels in your hand is completely up to you. I chose airtronics because I wanted a lightweight, small radio. The 4PL is just a little bit bigger than the MT4.
In all respect, I have to second that.

I changed form a 7-8ms Sanwa MX3X to a 4ms Sanwa M11X and could clearly feel a difference. I turned into corners sooner with the M11X because it reacted faster, so I had to adjust to the faster respond time by turning (and braking) later.

I run on really high bite high speed track where every movement count and translates into instant directional change.

Guess if you are on a really loose track, the "knife blade" quick response somewhat diminishes.

But I have spend a lot of $$ on my gear, and the transmitter/receiver is the "physical" link between you and the car. I choose a fast radio over a slower any day. Also if it seems only academical to some :-)

Last edited by Salkin; 02-03-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Ours is a technical carpet track. Just me personally, driving both blinky and mod, there's no difference in feel between any of the receivers I was using. Given the same car, both receivers felt the same.

Maybe some people really are more tuned to 1ms difference (just think about that... 1/1000 of a second... Your reaction time is like .3-.5 seconds so 3000x-5000x slower than the receiver...)

I'd rather not focus on .001 sec response time and just lean how to drive a cleaner line. I'm sure that a clean like is gonna help me shave those tenths rather than .001 faster response time.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

I don't notice the difference. I have servo saver on all my cars. I noticed top drivers don't use servo savers because they reduce the direct feel. I am not quite that good yet.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Not to go off toipic here, but in my opinion it is a misconception that you have to be a pro driver to be able to sense and enjoy a low latency TX.

I'm definately not a pro driver, but I have gone from a cheap RTR TX, to a mid range and to a high end TX and have enjoyed the increase in connected feeling at each "upgrade".

But I agree, both the suggested TX are fast, and if your car and electronics are not top notch you may not gain that much from extremely low latency times.

It's the whole package that gives the final result, and the TX is only one link in the chain.

And, if you don't feel the difference, it is good, because you then have one less thing to worry about, and can let other "parameters" decide your choice

Hunting latency is a wallet braker anyway, as you end up with a high end TX to get the lowest latency.

That M12 with zero latency looks mighty tempting....
Old 02-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

There is a used mt4 for $150 with a rx in for sale section.