Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me pick a new high end radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 02:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Help me pick a new high end radio

Just getting back into the hobby and want to get a new radio. I have been looking at either a M11x new/used or a M12. I had a M11 DSSS that I sold awhile ago and before that, an M8.

I am up for different models other than Airtronics, but I already liked the feel of the M8/M11.

Thanks

DW
Old 01-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

you already know the high end guys then. futaba, airtronics, ko propo.
some might even suggest spektrum but a lot of guys dog on them for being glitchy and cheap feeling.

there was a some buzz a while back about radio post. it's looks like a nice radio but they had issues with the receivers I believe at some point. and they were all over the for sale section of the forum. I don't know if that's a bad sign or not.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:10 PM
Tech Initiate

I have been mainly looking into Airtronics and Futaba. I've read about the Spectrum issues too, and never liked how they looked aesthetically. I am leaning towards the M12, but do not know much about it or if the new Futaba 4PKS-R is a better option.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'm looking at the new radio's as well and have had Spektrum's DX3R and DX3S for a few years now. Never had any issues with them so far and really, if Spektrum were that bad, they'd be out of business.

Futaba radios are very nice pieces but $550 with a flip up antenna? Really?

You cant go wrong with an Airtronics transmitter (I have a MX Sport for a spare, very solid) but you either spend $200 on the MT4 (which has telemetry I have no need for) or $450 for the M12 which is too big of a jump for me.

A backlit LCD and integrated antenna are 2 of the features that I want in my next transmitter and considering the DX4R Pro has both, comes with TWO receivers, a drop down wheel and the sexy black housing, its at the top of MY list anyways. Priced at $330 is pretty good value IMO.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What exactly will you be doing? Will you be racing or just bashing around in the park? If you're just bashing I don't think there's a need to get a high end radio. With that said if you want a nice radio without spending too much money you might want to take a look at the Airtronics MT4.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

This is the controller I am looking at getting. The futaba 4PLS ($250)

Old 01-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the info. I am probably going to go with the M11X or M12 depending on what deal I can find.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yea the Airtronics would be my second choice....it might actually would be 1st if I didnt have 6 DSM2 receivers lol.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

One knock against Airtronics is that their receivers are large compared to the competition. My RX-461 is almost twice the size of my buddy's KO Propo receiver.

Besides that, Airtronics/Sanwa is my go to pick for a transmitter. The menu layout is also very easy to navigate. Spektrum is terribly confusing, and not nearly as intuitive.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:51 PM
Tech Adept

my vote goes to 4PLS-R, but I biased
Old 01-17-2014, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

The 4pksr is an awesome radio, very solid. Some of the best money I've spent so far. I've had the mt-4 and m12 but the 4pksr just felt better to me, and was super easy to use/navigate.
If I had to do it all over again, 4pksr hands down.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Out of curiosity, who in the US has the 4pksr for the lowest price? The m12 is $424 with coupon.

Originally Posted by jrmarquez.702
The 4pksr is an awesome radio, very solid. Some of the best money I've spent so far. I've had the mt-4 and m12 but the 4pksr just felt better to me, and was super easy to use/navigate.
If I had to do it all over again, 4pksr hands down.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Spektrum glitchy? First I've heard that. I have a dx3, dx4 and a couple dx2's. Never had an issue. I did have an m11 that would unbind when it wanted to and send my nitro buggy off full speed. Hit a house once and a truck another time. There was a guy at my local track that his did the same thing after me complaining about it to him. He thought I was crazy until his kept going straight down the straightaway and jumped over the track fence. After waiting months for a new one, I immediately sold it without using it. Never again with I have a sanwa product. And its way too heavy and large. I love my spektrums.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KFXGUY
Spektrum glitchy? First I've heard that. I have a dx3, dx4 and a couple dx2's. Never had an issue. I did have an m11 that would unbind when it wanted to and send my nitro buggy off full speed. Hit a house once and a truck another time. There was a guy at my local track that his did the same thing after me complaining about it to him. He thought I was crazy until his kept going straight down the straightaway and jumped over the track fence. After waiting months for a new one, I immediately sold it without using it. Never again with I have a sanwa product. And its way too heavy and large. I love my spektrums.
Spektrum used to go nuts if a flysky radio was turned on nearby.

As far as your runaways, maybe have a throttle return spring and set your failsafe properly? when a reciever unbinds it defaults to failsafe settings. If you had done that you wouldn't have had a run away.....

all electronics can fail. not having a failsafe setup properly is on you, not anyone else.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hyujmn
One knock against Airtronics is that their receivers are large compared to the competition. My RX-461 is almost twice the size of my buddy's KO Propo receiver.

Besides that, Airtronics/Sanwa is my go to pick for a transmitter. The menu layout is also very easy to navigate. Spektrum is terribly confusing, and not nearly as intuitive.
The spektrum menu roller thing is garbage IMO. for what's trying to be a high end radio system, the crappy roller menu has to go. other than that they are great radios.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.