Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New radio shopping... my head hurts..

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default New radio shopping... my head hurts..

so i wanna take the plunge on a full feature "pro" radio, endless info and threads on people remarking how great (insert brand here) it is... the day they got it , but no long term, near everyday use follow ups... i cant imagine buying a 500+ radio every year... kinda wanna take the plunge once for next few seasons and take it from there, hoping i wont need anything new for at a minimum 2 seasons (if i even last that long)... trying to get serious with racing and my equipment should follow...

for the record, ive been happy with a futaba 3pm-mx, just a pain to jog the menu even after getting used to it... im also coming from a childhood with futaba magnium jr's and knobs were all you really needed.... but times change and the tech leap got me itching for something more than the mx.. which is killer... but my wants are kinda out growing the radio

ive been looking for some long term-ish durability reviews.. like longer than 6 months of owning, i was looking at the M12, 4PKS-R, and the Ex1.... aside from spectrum and radiopost... are there others? are there users out there who have had minimal problems within owining the radio for lets say 1 year? small drop and still ok, recievers that still bind, no need for service dept calls...

i kinda lean towards the futaba only because it has a countdown timer and a vibrating alert...but absolutely not a reason to buy... even if its perfect for my a.d.d. nitro buggy driving... i really just want a nice big screen, direct lipo compatible receiver, and above all, durable, no though use.... i mean, i could buy so much other gear for the coin, but a good radio is where it all starts... right?

clue me in, call me an idiot, tell me a $10 radio would suit me fine... just wanna know what serious guys use, abuse and trust... after some real world use

thanks and sorry for the winded approach to a typical "BEST RADIO FOR 8th BUGGY" thread

trying to be more adult about it, hoping id get some insightful, objective, and experienced opinions..
Old 12-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Go to your local track and hold/touch/feel the radios for yourself.

They all have the same features, they are all problem free now, etc.

Look at RX cost/size too.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I went from a Futaba 3PM-MX to the 4PKS-R. They both use the FASST receivers and you will be able to use your 3channel RXs with the new radio. I let people try my cars for a few laps it never fails that they like how the 4PKS-R feels more comfortable and responsive. I kept the old radio as a second radio for my recreation cars. I have always had good luck with Futaba over the years.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by whitrzac
Go to your local track and hold/touch/feel the radios for yourself.

They all have the same features, they are all problem free now, etc.

Look at RX cost/size too.
seems newest rx's are all within the $90 range between brands...im not too worried as its gonna be dedicated only to my buggy, although ill pony up if i get serious about electric...not picky on feel or weight, my hands are too big to care, only issues i ever have are fitting my trigger finger but a lil heat and careful bending, followed by some sanding to retain full throw usually cures the space

im not friendly with anyone yet to ask about their equipment, didnt make it through the season to be a regular... just wanna set myself up so i dont have to ask, so i look like i actually know what im doing..
Old 12-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Cravin
I went from a Futaba 3PM-MX to the 4PKS-R. They both use the FASST receivers and you will be able to use your 3channel RXs with the new radio. I let people try my cars for a few laps it never fails that they like how the 4PKS-R feels more comfortable and responsive. I kept the old radio as a second radio for my recreation cars. I have always had good luck with Futaba over the years.
yea, i saw its compatible with the 603ff i have, but at a slower frame rate? not a big deal and its good to know in case of emergency, only thing bugging me is using a 2s without regulator for the receiver.. as was my first reason to up my radio, i have so many mini revo packs 2s and 3s.. i couldnt imagine not using them in the car and radio.. cheap modernization!

how long have you owned the 4pks-r? dropped it? wear issues? over all anything to look out for?

Last edited by the wrench; 12-01-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use a 2s LiFe in mine and it has a configurable low voltage alarm so when it goes off I have time to finish any race and recharge in 15 minutes easy. keep thee standard NiCad pack as a backup. I get a full day and a half between charges.