Wiki Posts
Search

Trackstar / Toro 150A Gen II with multi-function program box

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stano71
if you read this post,http://www.rctech.net/forum/12899954-post30.html , it tells you the available options and their meanings in a little bit better detail, if you want to check the original version go here, ##w.hobbywing.com/uploadfiles/sx/file/Manual/HW-09-80.pdf, it is for hobbywing but the options are identical.
I don't think you can current limit, but maybe altering the throttle curve will achieve the same result, depending on what you are trying to do
I guess it would be item 2.4, punch. But my ESC does not have anything from 1-9, the Track Star has something called punch rate switch point that goes from 1-99, then 1st stage punch rate 1-30, and 2nd stage punch rate 1-30. So obviously the settings between the Track Star and Hobbywing are not identical.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by DRTMI
I guess it would be item 2.4, punch. But my ESC does not have anything from 1-9, the Track Star has something called punch rate switch point that goes from 1-99, then 1st stage punch rate 1-30, and 2nd stage punch rate 1-30. So obviously the settings between the Track Star and Hobbywing are not identical.
Ok so they are not identical (I did mention this in previous post), but the explanations helped me to understand the settings better, as you said turnigy is lacking in this department, but the hobbywing manual is explained in more detail.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Oh boy... This just confused me for a good moment: referring to HobbyWing instructions in a thread for TrackStar and Toro electronics
Stano - thanks for helping everyone out. Somehow I wasn't getting notified of new posts in this thread anymore. I thought it was dead.

At this point I have:
Trackstar 150A Gen2 esc (x2), TrackStar smart program box
Toro 150A Gen2 esc, Toro smart program box (x2), Toro bluetooth module, Toro SkyLink

If I had to start over I would buy Toro esc's and a bluetooth module for each one and leave them plugged in and mounted. You can not beat pulling your cell phone out of your pocket at any given moment within 35 feet of your rc car and being able to adjust esc settings (when rc is powered on of course, and cell phone bluetooth is on and connected of course).

Open offer to thread readers: I'll trade a like new TrackStar esc for your Toro esc if you feel opposite.

I'll have to try my Toro and Trackstar out again tonight and see if I can connect to PC. I haven't even tried using the Toro SkyLink yet. Seems like an unnecessarily redundant part, since function is included in program card and features are available on bluetooth. I might be the only person that bought one.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stano71
Just want to check which esc are you using, is it the skyrc or turnigy
Sorry for the late response. Skyrc esc.
I wish I knew more about modding cell phone software. I am able to use an otg cable to connect my droid to the program box and the esc. It powers both the program box and esc, but the skyrc link phone software only communicates via Bluetooth. I'd love to be able to program the esc this way instead of breaking out a PC. Guess I might have to pony up for the Bluetooth module.

Just an FYI an otg cable is a USB cable.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kaisertrip
Thought I would through some info out there.....
I ordered 2) TS150a this christmas from ebay on special... and a bluetooth module.
Just so you know they are not water proof.....LOL yes I smoked one right before a race this last weekend.....
But other than that they both worked awesome, smooth power....bluetooth module is great easy to use.
I am going to order another one. I think I am going to mod them with a epoxy fix so as to make them water proof, just to prevent me from burning another one. Yes I am lazy and use water to clean my buggies.

I just use corrosion x for waterproofing. Was out in deep snow the past two weekends and the inside of my truck was caked with snow for a good hour or so both times. I do the motors as well just for precaution. Just coat them once a year and I've never had an issue.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Thanks for the info

Guys thanks for all the info in this thread! it has been very helpful. but I do have one Qu. if I have a program card do I need the Bluetooth to make changes to the Toro 150a esc. just want to know before I buy one
Old 02-19-2014, 07:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

If you have a Toro 150a esc and a SkyRC smart program box, you can make changes with the program box. If you want to make changes via bluetooth with your smart phone, then you will need the bluetooth module. You can only have one plugged into the esc at a time.

NOTE: On page 20 of the new 2014 SkyRC Product Catalog, they show a new product. SK-60075 WiFi Module. This appears to act just like the bluetooth module, except it sends out a wifi signal rather than a blueooth signal. Should give greater range.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

So would you go with the Bluetooth or the card in your opinion?
Thanks again for info
Old 02-19-2014, 01:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Personally, I like having the bluetooth module always plugged into the esc and mounted on the chassis. The smart program card has a few extra features you might find handy (cell voltage checker, KV/RPM mode, links esc to PC).

If you can afford it and have a smart phone, get the ESC/card combo (http://www.rcmart.com/toro-ts150a-br...m-p-37241.html) and additionally order the bluetooth module (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SKYRC-RC-...-/201001636104)
Old 02-19-2014, 02:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigco66
So would you go with the Bluetooth or the card in your opinion?
Thanks again for info
I would advise getting the blue tooth module over the programming card for all of the Toro Pro Comp esc's. I agree that once you use the blue tooth programming module you will never use the programming card again, it just does not pack the tuning features. Also I would say get the pc link so that you can do firmware updates.

I hope to get info and my pricing for the new products this week. Unfortunately not all the products listed in the catalog are avaliable for purchase, theu are reserved for companies I will not name to brand their own name on.

Also for better directions on all the tuning features download the hobbywing v3.1 manual, it gives a much better explanation. Skyrc/Toro dropped the ball on this one and its on my list to see if they can offer better direction and explanations on the features.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

I actually just traded my Toro 150A gen2 esc and bluetooth module last weekend... but to a close friend who will use it more than I did. I plan to get a few more for other rc's in the near future. Adjusting the ESC with my smart phone was super cool.

I still have 2 Trackstar 150A gen2 esc's and plan to run those in my 1/8 truggies. One is currently in my Turnigy 5000 vehicle... Hopefully I can get a 2S speed run on video soon and submitted before they end the contest.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:36 AM
Tech Initiate

can anyone test BEC voltage and amp's on both toro and trackstar?

if there really the same ESC why the different BEC specs?
Old 03-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rob S

Please tell us Rob S, how would you go about testing the stated BEC specs against the actual BEC voltage and amp results? I'm guessing it will involve a volt meter, but I'm not sure what ALL THE SURROUNDING CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD BE. To answer your question I'm sure it would require more than your typical hobbyist can perform. Plus they would need to own both Trackstar and Toro esc's for testing. Even I don't own both at this moment.

Other people, feel free to chime in with simple reproducable instructions several of us can perform to answer Rob S's question.

Rob S - if nobody chimes in... Sorry dude. Stated Specs would be assumed correct unless proven otherwise.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rob S

Well, I actually looked at the BEC specs on both just now. They are identical.

Trackstar: BEC Output: 6V @ 5A
Toro: BEC Output 6V@5A
Old 03-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Default SkyRc 150a with bluetooth module issue

I have a SkyRc Toro 150a ESC and just received the bluetooth module for it. Before I was able to use the program box to make changes and not have to power off my rc and power it back on to test the new settings. Ever since I tried the bluetooth module, now every time I make a setting change I have to power off the ESC and turn it on again to get moving. I believe there a firmware issue with the bluetooth module that has not been upgraded to prevent this from happening. Did anyone else ever experience this issue? Now every time I make setting changes with any device (Program box, Bluetooth module or Skylink pc connection) I need to turn off power to ESC and turn it back on to get the rc rolling again. What a PITA!!!!!!!!!! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.