Search

Transponders

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
fair enough...

and still priced roughly what, 20 bucks over their own original?......I still see the same $20 price point between MRT and MyLaps..

I have 4 AMBrc's...(that I over paid for)...but then again I haven't had to upgrade anything. If someone is in the market for a PT they can currently buy a MyLaps Hybrid for about $105 or an new MRT for $85, save 20 bucks and hope MyLaps doesn't burn them again. I would spend the extra 20 bucks, but that's me.
Sometimes it's not about the money.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

For the 99.9% of people bitching it sure seems to be..I give you double
Old 12-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ed Anderson
From what I'm reading it is,.. (if you're asking if it will work on old & new systems). But I haven't seen any yet, nor do I have an older system to try it on.
then I say..hmmm....... because you both seem pretty shmart..(sp intended)
Yes, the new MRT PTX20(NS) does work on old and new decoders. But it is not a hybrid.

A hybrid transmits both old and new data formats alternately (the new format is the one with temperature, etc.).

The MRT is an update on their existing transponder that makes it indistinguishable from an old AMB, which the new Mylaps decoders still accept as valid. It transmits only the old data format.

If MRT has done a good job (this time!) of replicating the old AMB transponder signal, then the only way that MyLaps can exclude them again is by updating their decoder software to no longer accept the old AMB transponders.

Last edited by howardcano; 12-04-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

I don't see MyLaps obsoleting their own product....yes I would consider AMBrc PT's as their own product. Only time will tell and by then...my PT's will owe me nothing. I guess buying used AMB's a couple years ago paid off compared to paying the same price for a new MRT..
Old 12-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by howardcano
Yes, the new MRT PTX20(NS) does work on old and new decoders. But it is not a hybrid.

A hybrid transmits both old and new data formats alternately (the new format is the one with temperature, etc.) so it will function on both old and new decoders.

The MRT is an update on their existing transponder that makes it indistinguishable from an old AMB, which the new Mylaps decoders still accept as valid. It transmits only the old data format.

If MRT has done a good job (this time!) of replicating the old AMB transponder signal, then the only way that MyLaps can exclude them again is by updating their decoder software to no longer accept the old AMB transponders.
I don't see that as something track owners would be willing to do.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I don't see MyLaps obsoleting their own product....yes I would consider AMBrc PT's as their own product.
I don't see that as something track owners would be willing to do.
MyLaps probably wouldn't disable all of the old AMB transponders at the same time. I think they are too smart for that. They might only disable AMB transponders that have been cloned, and the clones themselves. Here's how:

The new decoders can upload information to MyLaps, including transponder numbers. It would be relatively simple for MyLaps to check the data for identical transponder numbers being used in two different places on the same day or weekend, then make a list of these identical transponder numbers and download that list to the decoders. The decoders will then ignore those transponders. Any AMB transponders that haven't been cloned (or have not yet been detected as such by MyLaps) would continue to function. If the original AMB and the clone of it are not being used by the same person, then those people would just assume that their transponders had finally died, and never catch on to what really happened.

Will MyLaps do this? Who knows? But if they do, you read it here first.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

MyLaps probably wouldn't disable all of the old AMB transponders at the same time. I think they are too smart for that. They might only disable AMB transponders that have been cloned, and the clones themselves. Here's how:

The new decoders can upload information to MyLaps, including transponder numbers. It would be relatively simple for MyLaps to check the data for identical transponder numbers being used in two different places on the same day or weekend, then make a list of these identical transponder numbers and download that list to the decoders. The decoders will then ignore those transponders. Any AMB transponders that haven't been cloned (or have not yet been detected as such by MyLaps) would continue to function. If the original AMB and the clone of it are not being used by the same person, then those people would just assume that their transponders had finally died, and never catch on to what really happened.

Agreed, at some point MyLaps will figure out a way to disable the cloned transponders and the cycle will start all over again.

(I think MRT is a division of MyLaps.....)
Old 12-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

About 1/2 the track I go to don't have internet access....

Not all MRTs are cloned. All the MRTs I have are just some random number.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

I don't know, but that is why I have told the guys running races at my club to never, ever, let our decoder be connected to the internet.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whitrzac

Not all MRTs are cloned. All the MRTs I have are just some random number.
Nope,.. MRT doesn't make up random numbers. They are all clones. MRT was buying up transponders, broken ones, house transponders... anything they could get a signal from and clone it.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Hey guys,

Can someone help? I’ve lost my registration code? For my new mylaps transponder
How would I register it at the track?
Thanks in advance
Old 09-17-2014, 03:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by B44USTA
Can someone help? I’ve lost my registration code? For my new mylaps transponder
It should be written on the transponder.

Or just run the car over the timing loop, the number will usually appear in the timing software.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tonybod
It should be written on the transponder.

Or just run the car over the timing loop, the number will usually appear in the timing software.
awsome, thanks mate!