Wiki Posts
Search

Dirtchamp Design t:meR

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ZA_Fourie
The sofware runs in windows 8, but the bluetooth connection doesn't work. It recieves the signal and recognises the device but then for some unkown reason it become unavailable. We turned the firewall off, turned the antivirus software off and tried several times, but it still didn't work.
Now see that sounds like a Win8 security or permissions issue with bluetooth. I hate Windows.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

double post.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Tech Regular

i personally did not have time to write the little review i promised above, but had i, it would have went something like this...

Hardware: works as advertised, car goes by, lap count is triggered.

Software: complete garbage and DCD shows no life signs of releasing an update or desire to make the hardware compatible with other software.

would not recommend or purchase again and would return it if i could.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

I eventually got some feedback from DCD on facebook. They haven't started with the development of software that's compatible with Win8, and there are some bugs with the existing software that requires fixing.

I will also not buy DCD and will also not advise anyone to buy their product until DCD have updated their software, fixed the bugs and upgraded their software full club racing events.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs down The response from DCD regarding their system

from my 2nd email....

Here are more questions regarding the software and maybe you can help:

1) When we run qualifiers at the club race the system got confused between the racers who got two laps and the other users who go 5 laps, because the system made the racer with the least laps the winner!?

I have found the issue for this one, I will send you a beta within a week. I am on a business trip for the moment and can not create the build for windows before I get back.

2) The timer continuous to count for an additional minute after the race have finished. Why? It then further adds the additional laps of the racers who have already completed the race, resulting in an additional lap even after the counter should have stopped. Are we miss-understanding the software and should we therefore make our 5 minute qualifiers only 4 minutes long!? This doesn’t make sense... because the sound for race completion was already made by the system and this results in further confusion.

The extra delay was introduced to handle the fact that some cars may end up with DNF due to crash etc. However, the already finished cars do not gain any more laps. BUT, when running in qualifications mode, all cars have their own clocks. This means that each car will finish when the time is up for that car. Therefore it can look as if they gain laps after the clock on the computer has passed the actual time. This is in order.

3) Is there any updates that allow the use of windows 8 with this system since the blue-tooth connection to the laptop with windows 8 installed does pair but windows shuts it down due to some unknown error? Now we can only use our older laptops with windows 7 and XP....

I do not have any updates to if or when windows 8 will be supported. We have not been able to work on it yet.

4) If there are software updates available can you perhaps forward it to us for Beta- Testing? We are willing to assist and think that you have a great product that needs some tweaking though.

I will provide you with beta within a week.

from my 1st email....
If have a few questions about the software and I will appreciate your response (since you ignored my last email):

1) Is there any other software that also runs with the DCD system?

No, as far as we know there are no other softwares that support our hardware.

2) For now we only have 10 transponders and we will need to share them during club races. Is it possible to keep track of different cars even though they are sharing transponders?

I suggest you name them 1-10 in the software and place stickers on transponders to keep track of who is using it at the moment.

3) Does the software take the info from the qualifications rounds of the different rounds and place the cars in A-mains, B-Mains C-main etc according to qualifying times/laps?

No, we do not support any true race modes. The system is only intended for single heat racing. I am sorry if this did not meet your expectations.

4) If not when are you planning to upgrade the software since this limits the use of the system?

There are no plans for this at the moment since we are not aiming for competing with MyLaps in terms of racing setups. Our system is intended to be an affordable system for organized practice and single heat racing.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ZA_Fourie
from my 2nd email....

Here are more questions regarding the software and maybe you can help:

1) When we run qualifiers at the club race the system got confused between the racers who got two laps and the other users who go 5 laps, because the system made the racer with the least laps the winner!?

I have found the issue for this one, I will send you a beta within a week. I am on a business trip for the moment and can not create the build for windows before I get back.

2) The timer continuous to count for an additional minute after the race have finished. Why? It then further adds the additional laps of the racers who have already completed the race, resulting in an additional lap even after the counter should have stopped. Are we miss-understanding the software and should we therefore make our 5 minute qualifiers only 4 minutes long!? This doesn’t make sense... because the sound for race completion was already made by the system and this results in further confusion.

The extra delay was introduced to handle the fact that some cars may end up with DNF due to crash etc. However, the already finished cars do not gain any more laps. BUT, when running in qualifications mode, all cars have their own clocks. This means that each car will finish when the time is up for that car. Therefore it can look as if they gain laps after the clock on the computer has passed the actual time. This is in order.

3) Is there any updates that allow the use of windows 8 with this system since the blue-tooth connection to the laptop with windows 8 installed does pair but windows shuts it down due to some unknown error? Now we can only use our older laptops with windows 7 and XP....

I do not have any updates to if or when windows 8 will be supported. We have not been able to work on it yet.

4) If there are software updates available can you perhaps forward it to us for Beta- Testing? We are willing to assist and think that you have a great product that needs some tweaking though.

I will provide you with beta within a week.

from my 1st email....
If have a few questions about the software and I will appreciate your response (since you ignored my last email):

1) Is there any other software that also runs with the DCD system?

No, as far as we know there are no other softwares that support our hardware.

2) For now we only have 10 transponders and we will need to share them during club races. Is it possible to keep track of different cars even though they are sharing transponders?

I suggest you name them 1-10 in the software and place stickers on transponders to keep track of who is using it at the moment.

3) Does the software take the info from the qualifications rounds of the different rounds and place the cars in A-mains, B-Mains C-main etc according to qualifying times/laps?

No, we do not support any true race modes. The system is only intended for single heat racing. I am sorry if this did not meet your expectations.

4) If not when are you planning to upgrade the software since this limits the use of the system?

There are no plans for this at the moment since we are not aiming for competing with MyLaps in terms of racing setups. Our system is intended to be an affordable system for organized practice and single heat racing.
Thanks for posting this, really helped me, i almost bought this system
Old 05-28-2014, 02:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up Go for another system..

Use the following systems:

1) Robotronix: Similar in price as the DCD with only good reviews. I'm not sure which software you can use with it.

2) Trackmate racing: Cheaper than the DCD and the Robotronix system. You can download the racing software for free.. "Lapsfree"

see http://www.trackmateracing.com/shop/en/ for the prices and I like the club racing package with 8 transponders for 550usd.

The software can be found at: http://laps-free.software.informer.com/0.1/download/

We did however find a way for DCD to work with more than one IR receiver but we had to remove the IR eye and solder 3 new IR receivers with a serial connecting wire. It works very well for mini-Z racing becuase 3 IR eyes are sufficient for the small track, but the moment we connect more than 3 eyes the software goes bezerk...

I'm contemplating to buy the Trackmate racing system but I'm still not over the knock I had to take with the DCD system that costed me more than 1,100usd (due to importing costs etc. etc.)
Old 05-29-2014, 01:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

We use the Robotronics at my small club. With Z round free software.
I am not sure if it win 8 compatible though.
We have been using this system for 3 years with no problems, once we corrected the height of the bridge.
For a small club on a budget I would highly recommend it......there was no way we could afford a my laps system.
There is very little info on the net when it comes to the cheaper systems.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Default TimingBeam

Originally Posted by JimmyG
I would try and ask other companies that make race software, to see if they can adapt to the system. There are several companies and a few may be willing to do this. Sounds like the system wasn't very well thought out, or it is setup just for rounds, not qualifying and mains..
Actually, there is another software called "TimingBeam" that is compatible with DCD TimeR. I have been using it for two years and it is just great. The new version released earlier this month supports races properly. The best part is that it runs on Android phone so my race buddies get personal updates lap-by-lap. No need to bring a notebook computer and be bothered by Micro$oft

see here: play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kinopio.tb
Old 06-08-2014, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I bought a Surface to use with my DCD. When the original software didn't work with W8, I emailed them and they quickly sent me a link to a beta of SW that worked perfectly with W8. I have had nothing but success with contacting them. As long as you are using the system for practice, and not trying to run a club race with it I can't see how anyone couldn't be impressed. If anyone needs help with their DCD system please feel free to message me.

AWD
Old 06-09-2014, 12:42 AM
Tech Rookie

I concur that the DCD package is simple to setup and highly portable. The transponders are also rugged and light-weight. That's why DCD has now become the defacto timing system at our race club

Yet, at our race club we prefer to use TimingBeam to connect to T:meR instead of LapR that comes with the package. Running LapR on a Surface tablet is nice but the tablet may be just too big to be put inside our pocket. Another problem is that iLapR, the mobile app, only supports iPhone. Only two of us at our race club are using Apple's, the rest are all Android users. This two guys eventually have converted themselves to Android because of TimingBeam.

Apart from its easy-to-use user interface and proper race timing support, another plus is that TimingBeam allows more than one Android phones to connect to T:meR at the same time. Buddies at our race club are able to setup private races and manage their own laptimes without affecting the others. The software will also backup the laptime and race data to Dropbox, this help us to keep a good record of our past activities
Old 06-09-2014, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by a380danzer
Actually, there is another software called "TimingBeam" that is compatible with DCD TimeR. I have been using it for two years and it is just great. The new version released earlier this month supports races properly. The best part is that it runs on Android phone so my race buddies get personal updates lap-by-lap. No need to bring a notebook computer and be bothered by Micro$oft

see here: play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kinopio.tb
...the post that cost me ~$800.

big issue for me is dcr only calling out laptimes for a single racer, practice or otherwise. drives me crazy.

going to switch my ipad to a droid tablet and give this a shot.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Is the dcd timing system available in the states? I could only find it at Stormer and it was out of stock.

Now that others have had it for a while, would like feed back on longetivity or if there is something better.

i am just looking for something to make the backyard track more exciting for me and the kiddos.

Is it easy enough to be used by a 11 and 13 year old?

any feedback would be appreciated. thanks!
Old 07-25-2023, 02:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Looks like DCD and their support are out of this world….
anyone still running this lapcounter ?
I found one in my basement and want to use it, but where do I find software to make it work with my iPhone ?