Wiki Posts
Search

Questions about LiPo's in parallel

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc_dude
I don't mind going off topic for this at all, the thread has really stopped anyway.

...FET's were invented in the 20's i believe, but weren't realistic to use until for large amounts of power till fairly recently.
And here I thought John Bardeen, Walter Brattain, and William Shockley at Bell Labs invented the bipolar transistor in 1947, during their attempts to invent the Field Effect Transistor.

So now, thanks to your "off topic" comment, I just did some web surfing and found out that they patented the bipolar transistor to AVOID the previous patents for the FET-- filed in 1925!

My head is going to explode if you guys keep forcing me to jam new information in there.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Tech Champion

I know the feeling.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 131 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
It’s rather odd for me to be defending GM, but it seems to me they might be treated a touch unfairly on this topic. California had a mandate that a specified percentage of sales had to be non-polluting by a certain date for the majors (5% by mid ’90 something? Can’t remember for sure). GM is the only automaker that did much of anything about it, everybody else lobbied up and fought the mandate.

GM spent a ton of money and did some rather interesting things with the Impact, far more than just the powertrain. Found themselves standing all alone as everybody else in line stepped back a few and left them wasting in the wind. California backed off on the mandate, GM decided to cut the financial bleeding until conditions improved.

Seems odd that the only company who actually did something substantive gets all the blame in the view of some, while the ones who did nothing much but lobby against the initiative escape blame free it seems.

Eh, such is life I guess. Sometimes you’re the bug on the windshield.
For real...but they did seem to pull the plug out of no ware forcing a return of every EV1, dumping them in the landfill for no reason...I truly believe the gas companies payed them off to get rid of them...

And another thing, toyota and some foreign companies started electric conversions for their cars but GM was the only one designed electric and the only American company the did squat...

Originally Posted by howardcano
And here I thought John Bardeen, Walter Brattain, and William Shockley at Bell Labs invented the bipolar transistor in 1947, during their attempts to invent the Field Effect Transistor.

So now, thanks to your "off topic" comment, I just did some web surfing and found out that they patented the bipolar transistor to AVOID the previous patents for the FET-- filed in 1925!

My head is going to explode if you guys keep forcing me to jam new information in there.
your welcome I keep learning too actually. I takes me forever to type these posts cause i've trying to research them at the same time
Old 07-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rc_dude
For real...but they did seem to pull the plug out of no ware forcing a return of every EV1, dumping them in the landfill for no reason...I truly believe the gas companies payed them off to get rid of them...

And another thing, toyota and some foreign companies started electric conversions for their cars but GM was the only one designed electric and the only American company the did squat...
Might seem that way from the outside, but not many are aware of the significant obligations a manufacturer faces when selling vehicles. There is a long term legal commitment to service and parts and such. In addition to the endless legal liability, and a new technology, without a market to support it going forward.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Might seem that way from the outside, but not many are aware of the significant obligations a manufacturer faces when selling vehicles. There is a long term legal commitment to service and parts and such. In addition to the endless legal liability, and a new technology, without a market to support it going forward.
Very true, didn't think about that. But even still, it's not like they are very high maintenance cars lol

But I understand the point, still seems dumb though...
Old 07-25-2013, 05:47 PM
Tech Champion

Take a guess at what a replacement battery pack costs. Something the market hasn't really experienced yet.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Take a guess at what a replacement battery pack costs. Something the market hasn't really experienced yet.
Same as a new IC engine? lol Not truely sure, but I figure it'd be a couple thousand by today's standard

But then that would make the car die over time by the owner's choice. Why not let them die that way instead of forcefully taking them all away and dumping them?