Wiki Posts
Search

R10 Capacitors

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 03:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default R10 Capacitors

Do I need to use them? They take up a lot of space ESP in a 22 SCT. I'm running the R10 with an Orion VST pro 6.5T and a futaba high voltage servo made for 7.4v 2S batteries. And if I do need or should use it can I substitute it with the spectrum voltage protector SPM1600 or a Novak glitch buster which are pretty big also but they plug directly into the receiver which is in a better place than the R10 capacitors for me. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Tech Champion

Yes you need to use it, especially with a high power motor like a 6.5T.

The caps that plug into the receiver perform a different function, and are attached to a different part of the circuitry. They are not a substitute for the power cap.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dave H
Yes you need to use it, especially with a high power motor like a 6.5T.

The caps that plug into the receiver perform a different function, and are attached to a different part of the circuitry. They are not a substitute for the power cap.
I thouth they both do the same thing, store a small amount of power and if the servo steels more power than the internal BEC is holding it makes up for it with the power the can is holding, which is what the spectrum and novak do?
Old 07-13-2013, 05:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

No, the power caps on the esc are a filter for ripple currents. You might be ok without it with slow motors like 17.5 but with a hot motor, the cap greatly reduces temps in the esc. That's why you often see mod racers running more than one cap.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Okay sucks though those 2 big caps with the R10 are hard to mount on the back of the 22 SCT there's not much room. It's 2013 u think we could build these ESC's without em lol.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Tech Regular

OK! You need the info from the guy who has done what you are asking about. I do run a Novak glitch buster cap on my power input leads of my R10 pro. Cut the connector off the GB and solder in place of the power cap bank. The GB is a way bigger cap than the power bank from the R10. My esc temps dropped 15 degrees after doing this and I too run a 6.5 in my T4.2. My father, the electronic engineer of 30 years, taught me all about capacitors and some other various electronic gizmos so it gave me the confidence to try it. Make sure to get the polarity correct! Dont always follow the rc hype.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bambambennett
OK! You need the info from the guy who has done what you are asking about. I do run a Novak glitch buster cap on my power input leads of my R10 pro. Cut the connector off the GB and solder in place of the power cap bank. The GB is a way bigger cap than the power bank from the R10. My esc temps dropped 15 degrees after doing this and I too run a 6.5 in my T4.2. My father, the electronic engineer of 30 years, taught me all about capacitors and some other various electronic gizmos so it gave me the confidence to try it. Make sure to get the polarity correct! Dont always follow the rc hype.
Cant I plug the GB into the receiver? like Novak says? I want to move it forward cuz I have such little room in the rear where my ECS is.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The cap in the receiver has a totall different function than the one on the ESC.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bambambennett
Exactly. Power input capacitance is so important that even additional capacitance can noticeably reduce ESC temperatures especially with high power motors. My experience as well and yes it agrees with engineering principles.

Last edited by Dave H; 07-13-2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: still hoping to learn English as a first language someday
Old 07-14-2013, 04:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dave H
Exactly. Power input capacitance is so important that even additional capacitance can noticeably reduce ESC temperatures especially with high power motors. My experience as well and yes it agrees with engineering principles.
Ok I know there different but that doesn't answer my question, Novak says its used for exactly what were talking about which is if the servo drops the voltage this is there to catch it eliminating glitches. Check it out on there website. And the servo is plugged into the receiver hence that's why the glitch buster does. When savox first came out with there high voltage servos they actually had a wire that came out of the servo and plugged into the receiver just like the novak GB does. Guess I will call Orion and novak on Monday. The reviews on a main say that's how the guys are using them, by plugging them into the receiver.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:32 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by wreckya
Ok I know there different but that doesn't answer my question, Novak says its used for exactly what were talking about which is if the servo drops the voltage this is there to catch it eliminating glitches. Check it out on there website. And the servo is plugged into the receiver hence that's why the glitch buster does. When savox first came out with there high voltage servos they actually had a wire that came out of the servo and plugged into the receiver just like the novak GB does. Guess I will call Orion and novak on Monday. The reviews on a main say that's how the guys are using them, by plugging them into the receiver.
Two different functions. Yes you are right about the use of a glitch buster or stutter stopper capacitor plugged into the receiver, to help stabilize the voltage of the BEC circuit. The BEC circuit is a separate part of the system, just powers the receiver and servo(s), not the motor.

A power input capacitor provides similar benefits to the main power section of the controller driving the motor. A brushless controller is performing a lot of switching for both phase switching of the motor and throttle control. This switching generates a lot of frequency noise (aka ripple). This part of the system is at a much higher overall power level then the BEC circuit, so the noise is at a considerable power level. The power cap helps reduce the noise, which is very beneficial to the temps and reliability of the controller.

The capacitance is a fundamental part of the design, the only reason it is not designed in the controller is the size, to allow for more installation flexibility. Tekin in particular has discussed this design tradeoff for the very compact RS series on this site.

This can not be achieved by using a capacitor on the receiver, on a different section of the system. But certainly check with the manufacturers, never a bad idea. Report back your findings if you like.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:49 AM
Tech Champion

P.S. In regards to your installation challenge, I servo tape the power cap to the side of the ESC stand – rear battery tray, angled forward to get it within the chassis side guards some, on 22 vehicles.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The caps on the R10 esc have nothing to do with the power for your servo. The novak Glitch Buster deals with a servo issue. Remiving the ESCs caps will make it electronocally unstable, and youll probably fry it within a couple runs.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by Hoese37
The caps on the R10 esc have nothing to do with the power for your servo. The novak Glitch Buster deals with a servo issue. Remiving the ESCs caps will make it electronocally unstable, and youll probably fry it within a couple runs.
True that, the one that plugs into the receiver is what is for the servo!! I just plug in the cap and put it wherever it will fit!!