Wiki Posts
Search

AMB decoder mystery

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 05:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ray Murray
Sorry to intrude, but looks like Bob has a lot of answers here....LOL

I just thought of something that I need an answer quickly, since I have my RC4 decoder coming this week and we have a race on Sunday....

I had the original AMBrc and was able to use a single strand of 18ga wire for a loop....Our loop is embedded in our asphalt....

Does anyone know if we can use the same loop with the RC4 decoder, or will I have to use an AMB loop????
LOL....Sometimes more opinions than answers!

Yes...if loop worked with your old AMB it will work with your new MyLaps RC4 decoder.

From the AMBrc manual:

"Any wire similar to the AMB wire is suitable. Install a resistor of 470 Ohm (0.15 - 0.5 watt) opposite to the connection box."

I have used 18ga wire without the resistor on wider tracks.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bob Malphurs
LOL....Sometimes more opinions than answers!

Yes...if loop worked with your old AMB it will work with your new MyLaps RC4 decoder.

From the AMBrc manual:

"Any wire similar to the AMB wire is suitable. Install a resistor of 470 Ohm (0.15 - 0.5 watt) opposite to the connection box."
Thanks Bob! I was sweating for a minute....Would have sucked to have a new toy and not be able to use it at the last minute....

Originally Posted by Bob Malphurs
I have used 18ga wire without the resistor on wider tracks.
Nice to know that too....
Old 06-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I mocked mine up tonight and tossed some transponders across it. Works like its supposed to. It even read the MRT transponder. So in that case it works like its not supposed to. All in all I am thrilled and happy with the exchange. Thanks Bob, and Shaun Mac, and Douglas Hay for your help. Big thanks to Dion Potter who always has my back on things like this.