brushless servos: what's the benefit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

brushless servos: what's the benefit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 01:54 AM
Tech Champion

Default brushless servos: what's the benefit?

Hello,

I'm looking to replace my savox servos with futaba or ko propo and wanted to know what is the benefit of running brushless?

For the same price brushless servos are slower so I'm wondering if I should rather go for HV standard or brushless.. My main concern is to have a smooth and precise feedback from the servo. It's even more important for me than torque and speed

tell me what do you think
Old 05-18-2013, 04:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

One obvious advantage is that there are no brushes to wear out. But I don't remember ever wearing out brushes on a servo before I broke the gears, wore out the potentiometer, or had an electronics failure.

Brushless will likely generate less radio noise. But again, I've never had a problem with noise from a brushed servo.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:11 AM
Tech Champion

I'm wondering about this too considering the servo should be outdated once it will be worn out anyway.

Here are the supposed benefits (copy paste from futaba) but is it noticeable in real use? If somebody had occasion to compare brushless to brushed servos I'd be highly interested

At least FIVE TIMES longer-lasting than brushed servos.

30% faster response times.

Greater resistance to jolts and vibration.

Smoother operation.

Same power consumption as brushed digital servos.

Same compact case size as standard servos.

Exceptionally durable geartrain.

Smooth dual ball bearings and strong Samarium Cobalt magnets.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:28 AM
Tech Champion

Same as for motors. Smooooth consistent performance, no brush hang ups, no brush friction, more connected car feel. More efficient and less noisy electrically for the same speed & torque, meaning you can simply skip all of the brownout – glitches - external BEC - wire it direct how do I ground it - wire it direct I don’t get consistent performance - nonsense.

Between the kid and I we have had several brushless Futaba BLS451 servos in 1/10 scale for many years. They have no slop I can detect and run like new. I know several other racers locally who also have had them for a long time in a succession of cars with the same results. We were pitted next to one while he TQed and won a Roar national, his buddy won a huge near national event, sure doesn’t seem to hold them back any.

I’ve noticed several posters have had similar positive experiences with the BLS351 for 1/8 scale (what I think you are looking for), don’t remember hearing anything less than positive. They have HV versions now with more performance if desired. And I’ve noticed other brands offering brushless, best I can tell they appear to be better than same brands non brushless.

Don’t be too worried about specs, my kid tried one of the faster rated ones for a new car. Ran it for a while, inconsistent and jerky, ended up pulling it and putting the old 451 in.

I’ve noticed you asking about servos on a couple threads I believe, can tell you appreciate quality performance. This is a very viable way to achieve what you are looking for. About the only others that seem to match up best I can tell are the RSx KO, maybe Radiopost. Spend a little extra and be done with it. The savings on the BEC malarkey will cover a lot of it anyway.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:55 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks a lot for being so informative. I rarely buy something new so I ask quite a few questions before . You're absolutely right about the feel which can't be translated into numbers, that's why I needed feedbacks from users who can share their own experience.

I'm really looking for a kopropo or futaba bls right now, based on what you say and what I read. I will upgrade my savox which are fine but not great. I want my electronics to stay safe too, savox are quite power hungry.

Connected car feel is what I'm looking for before anything else. I run no expo at all, very fast radio and receiver (M11X & RX451R) and now I need the servo to be just as responsive.

I was thinking about radiopost as well as Protek but they have no dealers in Europe. And these are newer brand too, they don't have as much experience as futaba or kopropo.

There is another one from sanwa and no one talks about it, the ers 962. Sanwa made great servos back in the day I'm wondering what happened so that their offer is so limited
Old 05-18-2013, 11:34 AM

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I run a Futaba BLS351 in my Vorza... The Servo is powered at 6.0v via castle BEC. The servo was pricey @ $149, but worth every penny! Very smooth, and precise operation! Now I need to buy one for Axial Exo!!!
Old 05-18-2013, 11:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The newest servo technology is coreless.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Tech Champion

Really, coreless is newer? Not questioning the quality of coreless, but haven't they been available for quite a while, in a lot of models and brands? Well back to the analog days?
Old 05-18-2013, 11:22 PM
Tech Regular

i remember coreless servos being big a while back, i even remember coreless motors being around in the days of the micro rs4 and xray m18, before brushless technology hit land rc.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:25 AM
Tech Champion

Did some checking, I have a Futaba S9601 that I last used in 1991 that appears to be a coreless design. When were brushless servos first available?

Futaba S9601 Coreless Motor High Speed Mini Servo
Old 05-19-2013, 01:14 AM
Tech Champion

brushless servos hit the market about 15 years after this (first futaba brushless servo relased in 2006)

savox kopropo and other brands added a brushless servo in their line not a long time ago

here is a thread from 2005 on rcuniverse
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_34...tm.htm#9142698

so yes brushless is definitely newer than coreless, by far
Old 05-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

My 2 cents is that i feel the futaba bls servos are really really good. probably o e of the more impressive servos i have ran in regards to feel and precision. It really felt more advanced than the hitec7955s that i am addicted to. I also recently tried some offbrand chinese brushless ,hv,servos and while they have a fair amount of torque(maybe 150oz.?), they were way slower than advertised and the feel/consistency sucked. Also,I would have to estimate 75% of my servo failures were the motor.